What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I'm making more ZNSC. I've been putting it off because I do not like lining my mold, but I'm running low since DH grabbed my last couple bars and gave them as gifts to his customers. A couple weeks later, DH said one of those customers contacted him and raved about my soap and wants to order some to put in her annual Christmas gift baskets. I have no idea how many that is yet, but I'll be prepared!

My soapy thing was going into my soap-room-in-progress. Sheetrock is installed; next is taping and texturing. The sheetrock guy says he expects to be done by next Thursday at the latest. Then it's time for painting the walls (we will do this ourselves), installing the door (DH will do this), putting up a couple of cabinets (SIL will help with this), and then installing the lights and fan (electrician will do this).

DH actually knows how to do everything, but can no longer physically do much that requires having his arms overhead. It's been hard for him to wait on others to get it done, plus few people match up to his quality expectations. He's learned to relax a bit about it all, especially when I remind him that it's a soap room, not a living room. Yes, it also will be my work-at-home office for all those zoom meetings, but that's what fake backgrounds are for, right? :)
Man, I totally get the frustration of waiting on others! A constant life lesson for me. Your soaping room sounds like it’s going to be awesome!

Well, it’s VikingDude’s soapy thing today, not mine. I made a batch of his soap on Sunday, and then on Monday I had to leave for work. I told him that he’d probably need to cut the soap while I was gone, because I was afraid that by the time I got home on Friday, it’d be too hard. I honestly didn’t expect him to remember, and when I’m traveling for work, I’m so engrossed in it that I barely remember to call him every day, let alone talk about soap, lol. So today he tells me that he cut the loaf of soap (which honestly surprised me, and he even got my wire cutter out to do it) and proceeded to brag about how he EYEBALLED the cut and they were ALL PERFECT within MILLIMETERS. I haven’t seen them but I don’t doubt him - he said that his years as an infantry soldier taught him to be able to have well-calibrated estimation like that. I told him he’s hired as my soap cutter from now on! One more reason to think he’s the best! 🥰

Because I typed it earlier, I did it. The soap is under a gazillion towels doing it's thing now. It's nothing picture-worthy, just plain ole unscented, uncolored ZNSC with aloe vera but I still get giddy every time I make it.
I’m with you!! I made a plan, for me, one color soap experimenting with grit. Today’s was 2.25% ppo. Yesterday‘s was 1.5% ppo.
Hard to wait 4 weeks for the reveal!!! 😏

I’m with you!! I made a plan, for me, one color soap experimenting with grit. Today’s was 2.25% ppo. Yesterday‘s was 1.5% ppo.
Hard to wait 4 weeks for the reveal!!! 😏
What are you using for your exfoliant? Do you have this in a thread somewhere? I use pumice that I powder in my DIY only coffee grinder and use at 3.3% ppo. I calculated this number from @earlene's blacksmith recipe originally to adjust my batch size for mechanic bars. I used the same amount of pumice for my charcoal & pumice bars that are now FIL's favorite. So much so that he now buys it from me by the loaf. And I know he's using it because I covertly check his soap stash every time we go visit to get a good idea of what his preferences are and how soon to make his next batch. I've learned if it's not gritty, he gifts it or puts it in the bathroom for guests.

Last edited:
Last night, DH asked to look at my loaf mold because he wanted to see what I've changed and what I like/dislike about it. He asked if I'm ready for him to make my REAL loaf mold yet? Apparently, the one I've been using is just the prototype! Woot! 🎉
I told him YES, I'd love another loaf mold! But I'm not giving up my prototype. It's my first loaf mold that wasn't a cereal box, graham cracker box, or Pringles can! 🤣

What are you using for your exfoliant? Do you have this in a thread somewhere? I use pumice that I powder in my DIY only coffee grinder and use at 3.3% ppo. I calculated this number from @earlene's blacksmith recipe originally to adjust my batch size for mechanic bars. I used the same amount of pumice for my charcoal & pumice bars that are now FIL's favorite. So much so that he now buys it from me by the loaf. And I know he's using it because I covertly check his soap stash every time we go visit to get a good idea of what his preferences are and how soon to make his next batch. I've learned if it's not gritty, he gifts it or puts it in the bathroom for guests.
So for this soap, I’m using pumice that I grind up in a mortar and pestle. I thought maybe the blades on my coffee grinder with dull because I’m grinding rock. I am trying to make a non-mechanics soap for my son who uses Dr. squash. And he likes a bit of grit, but since I don’t know how much grit he actually likes, so I’m doing some experiments with percentages.
I’ve got a great recipe from Ellen’s every day soap for a grit, mechanics soap that I want to try. And since I’ve got all this pumice , I think that’s what I’ll do next. 🤗

Last night, DH asked to look at my loaf mold because he wanted to see what I've changed and what I like/dislike about it. He asked if I'm ready for him to make my REAL loaf mold yet? Apparently, the one I've been using is just the prototype! Woot! 🎉
I told him YES, I'd love another loaf mold! But I'm not giving up my prototype. It's my first loaf mold that wasn't a cereal box, graham cracker box, or Pringles can! 🤣
I hope we'll get a picture !

So for this soap, I’m using pumice that I grind up in a mortar and pestle. I thought maybe the blades on my coffee grinder with dull because I’m grinding rock. I am trying to make a non-mechanics soap for my son who uses Dr. squash. And he likes a bit of grit, but since I don’t know how much grit he actually likes, so I’m doing some experiments with percentages.
I’ve got a great recipe from Ellen’s every day soap for a grit, mechanics soap that I want to try. And since I’ve got all this pumice , I think that’s what I’ll do next. 🤗
Ah, the Solvol dupe! I've never tried it because I found @earlene's blacksmith recipe and just HAD to try it first. Also, because Elly doesn't give an exact amount of pumice in that video and I like precise measurements for consistency.

Something you might try is making a batch to use in cavity molds so you can divide the batter into equal amounts and calculate pumice at .5% increments from 1-3%. That would give you 5 bars total to try and see what he prefers. I've done similar experiments in a silicone cupcake mold before.

Yay, me! I got soap on a stick today! My own fault, of course. Took a proven soap recipe and added a mixture of unproven sample fragrance oils. I quickly threw the SOAS into a pot and hot processed it to a decent texture and a ph of 8. The soap smells great and looks awful! We’ll see what happens when I cut it. Looks like the family gets a new soap! 🤦‍♀️

Update: yes, it smells great and looks awful after cutting, too.

I made my first “spoon drop” or “spoon plop” soap today in camo. I was pleased with the colors (all botanical/“natural”), but may have *slightly* overdone the eucalyptus in my EO blend. The soap smells like Vicks VapoRub. I’m hoping it calms down during cure. 🤦‍♀️
It did calm down after curing. You can smell the eucalyptus, but it doesn’t knock you down. I’ve given it to three friends to try and I look forward to their feedback. It lathers up very well, so I’m pleased thus far.

Ah, the Solvol dupe! I've never tried it because I found @earlene's blacksmith recipe and just HAD to try it first. Also, because Elly doesn't give an exact amount of pumice in that video and I like precise measurements for consistency.

Something you might try is making a batch to use in cavity molds so you can divide the batter into equal amounts and calculate pumice at .5% increments from 1-3%. That would give you 5 bars total to try and see what he prefers. I've done similar experiments in a silicone cupcake mold before.
yep! Silvol and the recipe have does give measurements. I’ve seen her video so I guess she made another exact batch?
And I really like your cavity mold idea 😍 Thanks!!!

It did calm down after curing. You can smell the eucalyptus, but it doesn’t knock you down. I’ve given it to three friends to try and I look forward to their feedback. It lathers up very well, so I’m pleased thus far.
I’m glad you can find some kind of positive in your SOAS!

hot processed it to a decent texture and a ph of 8.
Glad you were able to save it! Just know that it is a scientific impossibility for a true (lye-based) soap to be at pH of 8. Below 9, it begins separating into a mess of oily fatty acids. If you are using inexpensive test strips, those are known to be several points lower than actual pH. You can read more about that here.

Restarted soaping after a long break… I made coconut oil soaps — played it safe with an easy soap so as not to get too overwhelmed!

1. Yesterday, I made a batch in the ‘loaf’ mould … it was OK but there was a slight crack even though I tried to keep temps low. No colours, just lavender and cedarwood EO.

2. Regained some confidence, so made another batch today … but chose to use individual moulds. Tried to be a little arty — swirled kaolin with green clay. Rosemary EO.

3. Felt quite happy with the second batch and proceeded to wash my utensils to make a third batch. This time I used kaolin swirled with red sandalwood. I added patchouli and geranium… of course the geranium made everything trace quickly. I was prepared this time — I remembered a previous debacle ;) This one was not too bad. Also used small moulds.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0535.jpeg
    IMG_0535.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 0
My soapy thing was bringing home the case of free olive oil that has been waiting at my parents' house for me. While on a quick work trip to the area, we figured out that at 35 lbs, the case could be one of my two free checked bags. I also borrowed a folding hand cart to lug it into and out of the airport; that came on the plane with me and fit in the overhead bin, and will go back the next time I go that way.

Still counting down the days until the office/craft room/soap room is done. Looks like end of next week. First up is a batch of ZNSB for a friend who has been patiently waiting for it, and then a whole bunch of lotions and lip balms for our upcoming retreat. Can't wait!

My soapy thing was bringing home the case of free olive oil that has been waiting at my parents' house for me. While on a quick work trip to the area, we figured out that at 35 lbs, the case could be one of my two free checked bags. I also borrowed a folding hand cart to lug it into and out of the airport; that came on the plane with me and fit in the overhead bin, and will go back the next time I go that way.

Still counting down the days until the office/craft room/soap room is done. Looks like end of next week. First up is a batch of ZNSB for a friend who has been patiently waiting for it, and then a whole bunch of lotions and lip balms for our upcoming retreat. Can't wait!

That is simply awesome — olive oil... EVOO, OO, pomace... all of 'em are so pricey here! Zany's soap is my next goal now I've gotten my feet wet again! I would love a dedicated soaping room for me and my son too!

Now I'm going to have to Google to see what that much olive oil actually looks like because....35 pounds?! What a thoughtful gift!

Latest posts

Back