What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all who responded, yes, I am extremely fortunate! I had posted awhile back how one of my family members works in a large distribution warehouse. They encourage the employees to take home expiring items, rather than tossing them in a landfill. When he spotted the OO, he asked my mom (who is Italian and a fantastic cook) if she wanted it. She couldn't use that much, so she asked me if I wanted it for soap.

I don't generally sell except for special requests from friends and family. But I do make a lot of donated products for our annual ladies' retreat, and annual Christmas luncheon. So I'm always looking for a bargain, or better yet, FREE. These six unopened bottles were stored in sealed dark bottles, in a sealed box, in a temp-controlled warehouse. YES PLEASE!

The stickler was figuring out how to get it home; shipping would be so expensive. Some family members who live near me will be driving through my parents’ area in late October. They had offered to put it in their car and drop it off to me, but that's another two months away. The light bulb finally went on that I could bring it on the plane as a checked bag, and that a folding hand cart would save my back from lugging it from curbside to ticket counter, and from baggage claim back to the curb. Worked like a charm!

Now that it's home, I'll make a whole bunch of ZNSB. 🥰

@Chaiat5 I wish it were a dedicated soaping room! It is actually my home office for my day job. Fortunately, that only requires a desk in one corner to hold my computer and printer. The rest of the room will be crammed full of stuff to make bath and body products, Cricut/paper crafts, home decor DIYs, and the like. I didn't realize just how much stuff I had, it was until it was all packed into boxes that are currently distributed throughout my house: a corner of the garage, a corner of another room being used as my temporary office, and two corners of our master bedroom. 😁

Last edited:
Glad you were able to save it! Just know that it is a scientific impossibility for a true (lye-based) soap to be at pH of 8. Below 9, it begins separating into a mess of oily fatty acids. If you are using inexpensive test strips, those are known to be several points lower than actual pH. You can read more about that here.
Thanks, I will check it out. The ph was somewhere between 8-9 color-wise, but most of my test strip experience has been with pool water, not soap.

Thanks, I will check it out. The ph was somewhere between 8-9 color-wise, but most of my test strip experience has been with pool water, not soap.
Those strips are definitely not going to be accurate for soap. If you get a chance to check out the article I referenced, that provides a lot more information. Since pH-testing doesn't tell you whether it is lye-heavy or not, you may decide it isn't worth the time or even the minimal cost of the strips. :)

I made a double batch of Watermelon Soap. I feel like this is all I post, but I’m still on the quest to find the colors I’m trying for in the main part. This time, I used NS Trial by Fire for most of it, and some BB Rose Pearl. Fingers crossed….
View attachment 78409
It’s been about a month since I made this soap, but today I beveled the edges. I think I have finally nailed the watermelon colors I have been after! Thanks for all the advice along the way! 🥰🌸🥰
IMG_2940.jpeg

Also beveled these…. Scented with what I call “Lilikoi Berry”, a blend of equal parts WSP Passionfruit Nectarine, WSP Green Apple, and WSP Fresh Picked Strawberry. The colors are NS Berry Twist, NS Hello Spring and TD.IMG_2942.jpeg

ETA - might as well as these little cuties to the pics. First batch of Activated Charcoal facial soaps, scented with a Tea Tree and Orange EO blend.
IMG_2944.jpeg

Last edited:
So, my son and I were languishing in the heat and got very bored. So we decided to make soap last night. I gave Zany's Castile soap a whirl... I should have cooled the lye a few degrees more, but patience is an elusive thing for me. The pomace traced really quickly, so I hope the soap's not a mess when we unmould! Our next experiment is using sodium lactate ...

I thought I was so special today! Intended to make a large (for me) batch of salt soap made with paprika infused OO! I also was trying to figure out how to use 40x aloe powder. (yes, should be simple but I can't do ANYTHING past basic math. Percentages and ratios make my head spin. And not it a good way!!) Don't try and do two different things at the same time. :confused: I managed to add the aloe to my red soap which of course turned it orange :mad:. Oh well - guess I get to make more soap!!

I thought I was so special today! Intended to make a large (for me) batch of salt soap made with paprika infused OO! I also was trying to figure out how to use 40x aloe powder. (yes, should be simple but I can't do ANYTHING past basic math. Percentages and ratios make my head spin. And not it a good way!!) Don't try and do two different things at the same time. :confused: I managed to add the aloe to my red soap which of course turned it orange :mad:. Oh well - guess I get to make more soap!!
Orange is pretty too!

Back