What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My orange & citrus obsession again. An orange patchouli and an orange juice soap.

Attachments

• Orangep&jsoap.jpg
    Orangep&jsoap.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
I experimented with the Ciaglia technique after a spectacularly failed salt soap. 😭
Thanks @AliOop, @Ekuzo, @2lilboots, and @bookworm42 for diagnosing the reason for the failure and helping me figure out a solution. The ciaglia’d soap more closely resembles what I was trying to obtain. Now just wait for the cure 😎
Really appreciate the respectful help and advice of this forum. You all are amazing!!!

My daughter came over on Thursday and we made a batch with BB Pumpkin Souffle/FSS Pumpkin Spice. Smells great! It's the same recipe I used for the chocolate chip cookie soap (cocoa butter), so the soap itself is really nice to use. However! I am having the worst time with colors! Specifically Purple Raspberry from The Sage. Was hoping for a spooky color - that's not what we got. It looks gray going into the mold, develops over time to the brightest pink I ever saw! I'd be grateful for suggestions.

My other issue is I over SB and my batter is always too thick, too quick. We keep attempting hanger swirls but since it is such a thick trace, we don't get a lot of swirls out of it. It does kind of have a spooky face at least, which is kind of cute. I'm going to rebatch a portion with The Daughter on Wednesday.

Attachments

• PumpkinSouffle1.jpg
    PumpkinSouffle1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • SagePurpleRaspberry.jpg
    SagePurpleRaspberry.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
The soaps look so pretty and fun! I know it's not what you were hoping for, but I'm not at the stage where I can do colours, so I am living vicariously through all who do :)
Yes, but your simple colors in beautiful molds are so lovely! I guess we’re in the same boat - having fun learning and always looking to see what’s next on this soapy journey! 🧼

My daughter came over on Thursday and we made a batch with BB Pumpkin Souffle/FSS Pumpkin Spice. Smells great! It's the same recipe I used for the chocolate chip cookie soap (cocoa butter), so the soap itself is really nice to use. However! I am having the worst time with colors! Specifically Purple Raspberry from The Sage. Was hoping for a spooky color - that's not what we got. It looks gray going into the mold, develops over time to the brightest pink I ever saw! I'd be grateful for suggestions.

My other issue is I over SB and my batter is always too thick, too quick. We keep attempting hanger swirls but since it is such a thick trace, we don't get a lot of swirls out of it. It does kind of have a spooky face at least, which is kind of cute. I'm going to rebatch a portion with The Daughter on Wednesday.
Try soaping at a lower temperature to slow trace. Fast trace can come from many things though. Try to stop once you hit emulsion. Make sure your FO isn't a fast accelerator. And I have colors that morph too. Maybe someone here has great advice on this issue.

Try soaping at a lower temperature to slow trace. Fast trace can come from many things though. Try to stop once you hit emulsion. Make sure your FO isn't a fast accelerator. And I have colors that morph too. Maybe someone here has great advice on this issue.
@Firefly24 how low can I go with temperature? I think we did this batch at 110 degrees. I think if I try to wait until it hits 90?

I haven’t soaped with of these FOs before. The instructions said they play nicely in cold process, but everybody’s experience is different.

Am wondering if the colors made it trace quickly. When I made this recipe before I used cocoa powder to color it.

Thanks for the help!

Regarding getting to trace quickly - someone here suggested doing a batch without using a stick blender to really get a feel for what the batter is doing. My realization was that I was often blowing right through emulsion so I never saw it before hitting a light or even medium trace. This lesson to "move away from the SB" is so true and now I hit emulsion without speeding past. I also use a large stainless kitchen spoon to see if the soap is separating/streaking as I can't seem to see it on the bell of my SB.
Still a newbie but learning so much here!
MP colors in white CP soap
My first crosswise cut
Rose with white shreds
Coffee and cream

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • GADL2154.JPG
    GADL2154.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FTAH4986.JPG
    FTAH4986.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
how low can I go with temperature? I think we did this batch at 110 degrees. I think if I try to wait until it hits 90?

I haven’t soaped with of these FOs before. The instructions said they play nicely in cold process, but everybody’s experience is different.

Am wondering if the colors made it trace quickly. When I made this recipe before I used cocoa powder to color it.

Thanks for the help!
No need to measure temps, make your lye the day before and let it cool completely. When you make your soap put the liquid oils in the container, next melt hard oils and add those in, then add lye, easy peasey. Add FO's last and stir in, no stick blender.

No need to measure temps, make your lye the day before and let it cool completely. When you make your soap put the liquid oils in the container, next melt hard oils and add those in, then add lye, easy peasey. Add FO's last and stir in, no stick blender.
Thank you @Relle and @jeanemarie ! These are very helpful hints!

I've been nervous ever since last Christmas when I made a batch that didn't reach emulsion. The whole (expen$ive) batch was ruined and ohhhh that hurts! I usually use one of these spoons for stirring. I don't want to use a whisk because it will incorporate air. Should I just use the spoon for a small test batch, do you think?

PS. @jeanemarie I LOVE your see-through "light" embeds! Wow wow wow!

Last edited:

I've been nervous ever since last Christmas when I made a batch that didn't reach emulsion. The whole (expen$ive) batch was ruined and ohhhh that hurts! I usually use one of these spoons for stirring. I don't want to use a whisk because it will incorporate air. Should I just use the spoon for a small test batch, do you think?

I feel your pain... this is a very expensive craft to master!

And oh wow! I've never seen those spoons before!!! Love them!

I haven't seen those spoons before, I would just use a spatula. Why was the batch expensive ?Did you make a large batch or use expensive oils ?
I wouldn't do a batch any larger than 1000 grams until you figure it out, I still only make 1000 gram batches after all these years.

I feel your pain... this is a very expensive craft to master!

And oh wow! I've never seen those spoons before!!! Love them!
This is no more expensive than any other craft, it only works out expensive if you want it to be. You can use oils from the supermarket and you don't need scent or colour. Keep it simple, it's not that hard.

@Firefly24 how low can I go with temperature? I think we did this batch at 110 degrees. I think if I try to wait until it hits 90?

Thanks for the help!
You can go as low as room temperature. I never knew you could but it works. I have a few colors that act up too. I use them sparingly if al all anymore, depending on what I am making. Try your oils & lye at room temp, blend slow to trace and see if that's a better result. Let us know if that helps.

I haven't seen those spoons before, I would just use a spatula. Why was the batch expensive ?Did you make a large batch or use expensive oils ?
I wouldn't do a batch any larger than 1000 grams until you figure it out, I still only make 1000 gram batches after all these years.
@Relle Okay, thanks! I'll try a spatula.

Any time I have to toss a batch it feels expensive. I hate waste and I was really looking forward to results I was pleased with.

Today's soapy thing was more unpacking in my office/soap room. The office part is just a desk in the corner with a computer, printer, and some office supplies in the drawers. It is done and functioning well for working during the day.

The entire rest of the room is dedicated to making bath and body products, and paper-crafting with my Cricut. It is currently a dumpster fire. As part of the moving process, I gave DH one of my wire racks for him to use in the garage, and I ordered an Ikea cabinet to replace it. Well, that darn thing hasn't arrived yet, so I have a whole cabinet's worth of stuff just piled up and crammed every which way. I find it really difficult to work when things aren't orderly, but I have some things to make for our upcoming Ladies' Retreat. Time to get after it!

Last edited:
Back