What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kokum is really high in Stearic Acid which helps with creamy stable lather and a nicely solid bar. I also use it for stable rich lather in my shave soap. (And my skin and face creams, lip balms, etc., I love it!!) But I'm also loving Cupuacu Butter these days for it's moisturizing creamines.
That does sound divine 🥰

I'm not a fan of Lavender either but Holly Soap Making does an eo blend of Lavender and Peppermint. I tried to replicate it and almost made myself sick!! I wonder if there is a Lavender gene just like there's a Cilantro gene. You either love the smell or you hate it! 🤔

Oh and what soappy thing did I do today? Cut my 3rd attempt at a Ghost Swirl with a batter recipe of my own choosing. I'd made two on Tuesday, one 33%/50% lye concentration. The one I cut today was 30%/44%. This soap I had to put into the fridge before it was hard enough to cut. I live in Northern CA and it's in the triple digits here. Air is on but I think it's just to hot for that particular loaf. :-( I did some lurking on the forum, got an idea for another couple of soaps, and thought about ordering more scents (Like I don't have enough!) Anyone need new bottle of peppermint eo?
God, this is addiction!!
There might be! I love lavender but used to get sick if I smelled patchouli. I blend Lavender with Geranium and Himalayan Cedarwood. That cuts down on the medicinal smell and is quite nice.
We live in SoCal but my husband is visiting family up in Northern Cal this week and he was floored by the heat! He can't wait to get back to LA to cool down!!

There might be! I love lavender but used to get sick if I smelled patchouli. I blend Lavender with Geranium and Himalayan Cedarwood. That cuts down on the medicinal smell and is quite nice.
We live in SoCal but my husband is visiting family up in Northern Cal this week and he was floored by the heat! He can't wait to get back to LA to cool down!!
Oh I LOVE Patchouli! LOL - there's got to be a gene! LOL!!

I made some CP soap - it didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked (glycerin rivers) but OMG the scent! I blended 50% tangerine EO, 25% litsea cubeba EO, and 25% sandalwood patchouli (a mix of fragrance and EO - I will mix my own EO blend in the future but didn’t have sandalwood EO at the time). It smelled great in the raw soap and just as good, if not better, when I cut it. I hope it stays after curing. I keep going into the curing area to sniff it. 😊

Last edited:
I will mix my own EO blend in the future but didn’t have sandalwood EO at the time
If you are wealthy enough to purchase real sandalwood EO for anything, we all want to be your friend. If you are wealthy enough to make soap with it, some of us may want to marry you.😁

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 7.09.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 7.12.56 PM.png

Hilarious! I will admit to not checking out prices on sandalwood EO. Yikes! I’ll either keep using the FO/EO blend (I really do like it, was just trying for an all EO blend), or adjust the patchouli. I personally like patchouli, but it is definitely not everyone’s fave. Have you seen Eartherella’s YouTube videos on using patchouli?

Hilarious! I will admit to not checking out prices on sandalwood EO. Yikes! I’ll either keep using the FO/EO blend (I really do like it, was just trying for an all EO blend), or adjust the patchouli. I personally like patchouli, but it is definitely not everyone’s fave. Have you seen Eartherella’s YouTube videos on using patchouli?
Thanks for being a good sport - we do like the occasional gentle jest around here. ;)

I haven't seen those videos, but I'll check them out. I confess to being a patch hater most of my life, until @cmzaha introduced me to aged dark patchouli. Apparently what I'd smelled before was cheap junk because this stuff was/is incredible. She did the same with her custom Dragon's Blood mix. Ruined for life now...

I get a sample of the sandalwood powder with most orders I make at Eden Botanicals. Not sure if it will stay in a soap but I'll probably start those experiments at some point. Facial masks, etc, could be a good use and it's an affordable gentle smelling option.

Latest posts

Back