What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to a Farmer's market today & looked at all the different vendors. There was one soap vendor. I talked to everybody and checked out their displays and set ups. Yesterday I made soap and today I cut them. The one on the left I used Temptation from Nurture Soap & the one on the right was made with Wild Mountain Honey from Hive & Honey. In the pot swirl method. I am using a soap cutter from custom craft tools, but I am not sure I like 1" soap bars. Personally, I have small hands and they are hard to hold. What do you all think about 1" soap bars?
Beautiful soaps!
I'm all in in the 1" bars (mine are technically .98", but 🤷🏿‍♂️)!

I went to a Farmer's market today & looked at all the different vendors. There was one soap vendor. I talked to everybody and checked out their displays and set ups. Yesterday I made soap and today I cut them. The one on the left I used Temptation from Nurture Soap & the one on the right was made with Wild Mountain Honey from Hive & Honey. In the pot swirl method. I am using a soap cutter from custom craft tools, but I am not sure I like 1" soap bars. Personally, I have small hands and they are hard to hold. What do you all think about 1" soap bars?
You know ~ I have been struggling with this very thing myself 🤔
On the one hand, I like a soap to last a while, and the handmade soaps use up faster than commercial soaps so I like making loaves so I can cut chunky bars ~ but I do have small hands.
On the other hand, I have been alternating bars out of my Basket of Many Soaps" and when I use one of my soaps from the single cavity molds the first thing I think is, "This is the perfect size", when it's a new bar. But then it's gone to soon and about halfway through it I'm already struggling to hold onto it and lather up my washcloth.
So, I guess I would rather have the 1 inch bar for longevity and ease of use ~ I also like to cut mine with the crinkle cutter, makes it easier to hold onto 😁

Pretty soaps. My cutter is from Bud Haffner and is 1 1/4”. For me, the top and side dimensions seem more important than the width. I also find beveling seems to help. My glove size is ladies medium.

I tried out my new tall and skinny mold with dividers from Workshop Heritage. Didn’t bother to go to the website to see what the capacity was 😡 and tried to figure capacity out on my own and seriously miscalculated. 😭. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

1719792472296.jpeg

I tried out my new tall and skinny mold with dividers from Workshop Heritage. Didn’t bother to go to the website to see what the capacity was 😡 and tried to figure capacity out on my own and seriously miscalculated. 😭. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

View attachment 78019
yeah, check out Bowan Nicoles molds, she's cool.

First one is the purple one - DHs favorite scented with NS Peace & Love.
The other is a drop swirl with a white base with 6 neons and black oxide dropped in. It is scented with NS Grapefruit & Bergamot, which was a dream to soap with. Sooooo much time to play!
Will post pics of the cut at a later date….
As promised! Here’s the cut soap!
IMG_2624.jpeg IMG_2625.jpeg

I’m back to experimenting with soap recipes. It’s been a minute. This round I’m tweaking palm free, veggie recipes using Shea & GW415. Waiting to test seems to take forever so maybe that will help summer go by slower. 😉 I’ve made two batches one with cocoa and one without. I just cut the cocoa free 4bar loaf this morning. During the dreaded Cure/Wait2Test time, I think I’d like to try the HO sunflower, GW415 recipe posted by @ScentimentallyYours and use faux sea water recipe shared by @Zany_in_CO

I’m back to experimenting with soap recipes. It’s been a minute. This round I’m tweaking palm free, veggie recipes using Shea & GW415. Waiting to test seems to take forever so maybe that will help summer go by slower. 😉 I’ve made two batches one with cocoa and one without. I just cut the cocoa free 4bar loaf this morning. During the dreaded Cure/Wait2Test time, I think I’d like to try the HO sunflower, GW415 recipe posted by @ScentimentallyYours and use faux sea water recipe shared by @Zany_in_CO
I always test an off-cut immediately, and then again each week during the cure. For new recipes, that helps me know how long to cure this bar before sharing it. And it helps my impatience! ;)

I always test an off-cut immediately, and then again each week during the cure. For new recipes, that helps me know how long to cure this bar before sharing it. And it helps my impatience! ;)
Fantastic. I’m doing it. Just picking them up randomly to sniff (we r sniffers in this family) & 👀 is not Enuf! 😆

What do you all think about 1" soap bars?
Beautiful soaps! My multibar cutter does 1-1/4" which cures to approx 1-1/8". I have small hands and don't mind this thickness. I learned along time ago to not turn the bar in my hands but to hold with one hand and lather against the other hand. Bars are a lot easier to hold on to that way.

Latest posts

Back