What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No soap stuff today (but I'm keeping my hopes up for Sunday), but it's mostly because I've taken a break from making soap to build myself a dedicated soap station. Yep, I know how lucky I am to have the skills/tools/cash/room* to do this (thank you, former self, for learning basic carpentry!).
View attachment 78138
Here's a snapshot of my current soap-making workstation. It's my old workbench and the only place in the house I have to make soap AND to do repairs and wood projects for the house. Every time I have to do something other than soapmaking I have to pack everything away, then clean up and get everything back out to make more soap. It finally reached the point on July 4 weekend that I decided to do something about it. I've moved my 'home office' desk over to the opposite wall and am building a new workbench for the soap:

View attachment 78139
I snapped this shot as I was trying to figure out how to get the shelves in after I foolishly put the sides on first! This is the kind of task that's a lot easier with a second person. I finally did get the main shelves in, and now I'm working on the upper shelves. I'm installing lighting over the new bench, too, and it will be very nice not to be working in murky lighting for once. I'm really looking forward to getting it set up, and also happy that I'll be able to set up my old workbench for what I build it for originally! It's been ages since I had my tools out where I can find them. I actually have been making soap, after the awful winter doldrums; according to my records I've made 10 small batches since mid May. Here's most of that production:

View attachment 78140

I'm running out of drying rack space, so I've gathered 6 milk crates we had lying around and I'm going to give them a good cleaning and use them as 'racks.' I think I can get 12 bars in each crate, and they stack so they shouldn't take up much floor space at all.

I promise to take a 'glamor shot' of the new bench once I get it set up & before I wreck it start making soap on it.

My soap To Do list for the rest of the year includes making more soap for the farmers markets this autumn (can my nerves stand it?**), finally learning the online inventory system I've been paying for and not using, and perhaps studying for my HSCG basic certification (but I may wait for the winter to do that, and try to get the Basic and Advanced done in one big push... have any of you been through the certification process?). I've been making progress on my plan to standardize on a handful of suppliers (and alternates) for my core raw materials, though we're still trying to figure out which scent suppliers to go with.

I also need to buy a couple of tables, more display shelves, and an awning thingy for the markets. Now that I have my workbench back, maybe I can make my own display shelves! ***

-=-
*I don't really have enough room; I'm just cramming it in anyway.
**I'm stressed because I don't care for crowds and my introvert self will be exhausted after every event, I know that.
***Can you tell that I'm in an 'upswing' phase of my mood swings?
Wooowww! That's awesome! 😃
It's nice to get a glimpse of what's been keeping you busy lately ~ I was wondering what you have been up to lately!
Keep us posted when you can!

Oh the green you have in your soap is beautiful! Do you have access to Ratanjot (inci Onosma echioides) or Gromwell (inci Lithospermum Erythrorhizon) both give purple. I think Gromwell will be easier for you to find. You could try Craftiviti I think they sell it. Treat them the same as the Alkanet and you will have lovely purples (one slightly more pink the other leans more blue).

Madder is inci Rubia Tinctorum and Manjistha is Rubia Cordifolia both give pink and I think you will find Manjistha easier to find maybe. They are different herbs as you can see by the inci. Always look for the inci so you know what you are buying and using.

You may well find it MUCH easier in an Asian store that has healing herbs as both are very good for us or even an online store that sells herbs

Gromwell's Chinese name is Madder's Zicao
Madder's Chinese name is Qian Cao Gen

Fingers crossed you are able to find them now

Thank you @AliOop for suggesting my work xx
At what stage in the cold process do you add the colorants?

Need advise please. I followed the recipe and instructions found in a post from 2023 rwgarding sugar scrubs from soap shavings.
Everything worked well, blended well together. I did not add stearic acid. Thought it would be ok, since I am using 100% tallow soap scraps.
Then I placed it in the fridge to cool down - now it is one solid block - definately not whippable!
Is the problem the lack of stearic acid or the fridge? Should I remelt and add more glycerin or water?
Please help?

Don't fall down - but I MADE SOAP yesterday!! 😲
It's been almost 3 months since I last made soap, due to moving house at very short notice, and then being really busy with work and painted stone orders. So yesterday I finally got back in the game by making a Blood Orange and Patchouli soap.
IMG_7526.jpg

Need advise please. I followed the recipe and instructions found in a post from 2023 rwgarding sugar scrubs from soap shavings.
Everything worked well, blended well together. I did not add stearic acid. Thought it would be ok, since I am using 100% tallow soap scraps.
Then I placed it in the fridge to cool down - now it is one solid block - definately not whippable!
Is the problem the lack of stearic acid or the fridge? Should I remelt and add more glycerin or water?
Please help?
Yes, the problem was putting it in the fridge. Oops. :)

I've always whipped mine starting at room temp. Once you let it come to room temp, it should be much softer and very whippable, especially since you didn't add any stearic. Let us know how it works out!

I made my first salt bars yesterday and unmolded today. Used the recipe from the current issue of Willow & Sage, with Ylang Ylang, Lime, and Lemon Zest essential oils, and French green clay as colorant. I’m quite pleased with how they turned out!
I love the 'peek-a-boo' effect with the salt crystals. Reminds me of those geodes you see at gem shows!

1720958015331.png

Please help?
I'm not experienced with sugar scrubs or working with stearic acid but when I experimented with whipped body creams I noticed there is a sweet spot when timing your mixture in the fridge ~ it only needs to partially firm up, not fully. I had a couple bowls get too firm and had to let them sit out to come back to room temperature before I could whip it, whip it good 😁 But I have no idea if that's the same scenario as what you were dealing with 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'm not experienced with sugar scrubs or working with stearic acid but when I experimented with whipped body creams I noticed there is a sweet spot when timing your mixture in the fridge ~ it only needs to partially firm up, not fully. I had a couple bowls get too firm and had to let them sit out to come back to room temperature before I could whip it, whip it good 😁 But I have no idea if that's the same scenario as what you were dealing with 🤷🏼‍♀️
This is a CP-soap-based scrub. Unlike syndet bases, if you put this base in the fridge, it will get waaayy too hard for whipping. :)

Yes, the problem was putting it in the fridge. Oops. :)

I've always whipped mine starting at room temp. Once you let it come to room temp, it should be much softer and very whippable, especially since you didn't add any stearic. Let us know how it works out!
Thx for the reply. Was still stonehard at room temperature, so remelted it and added more glycerin and water. Whipped up lovely. Will try tonight and see how it feels.

Ideas on baking soda?
I make a mean stain stick that works well and is quite popular. Do you think adding baking soda to the mix would improve it?

I made my first salt bars yesterday and unmolded today. Used the recipe from the current issue of Willow & Sage, with Ylang Ylang, Lime, and Lemon Zest essential oils, and French green clay as colorant. I’m quite pleased with how they turned out!
View attachment 78170
These look fabulous!! You did a great job!! I took a look at the recipe on their website but couldn't work out the batch size and why there was no castor oil. Or maybe you need the mag to get the full recipe?

I made pine tar soap for the first time! I won't be surprised if it's butt ugly and full of holes because I barely got it all in the mold, but it was seriously the most fun I've had soapmaking to date! I soaped at 96°F hand stirring and it was ready to pour in less than a minute flat!
I am so glad I bought the Auson pine tar. DH commented that the neighbor must be having a campfire again tonight and was surprised when I told him that smell is the pine tar! He says it really does smell like a campfire! 🤣

Last edited:
At what stage in the cold process do you add the colorants?
It depends on the way you have prepared the colorant. Some are infusions so they go in with the oils, some are added to hot lye water before it cools to room temp and some are rehydrated and added at trace. It honestly depends on which one you are using and how to get the best out of that particular plant.

Latest posts

Back