What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a Solvo type soap based on Elly's Everyday recipe. But I think I got DOS. It's small and I'm just going to have it be a feature of the soap (can I do that?) but it's irritating. I've never had DOS before. I'm wondering if I got it because I soaped cooler then 122F? The tallow wasn't rancid because I kept it in the fridge until needed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

PUMICE STONE (SOLVOL STYLE) per Elly’s Everyday
1250g total soap batter volume
6% superfat
2:1 water to lye ratio
3% essential oils of total oil amount

246 g water + 7g salt (to replicate salt water [sea water is approximately 3% salt water solution])
8.7g citric acid
128g NAoH
696g tallow, palm oil or lard (313 grams tallow the rest palm oil)
174g coconut oil
2/3 cup ground pumice stone
27g essential oil

Melt fats
Add Citric to water
Add NAoH to water/citric acid mix
ALLOW BOTH FATS TO Noah mix to 122F

Blend, oil, essential oils and pumice to light/medium trace
Pour into molds

Attachments

• rocks 1.jpg
    rocks 1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
  • rocks 2.jpg
    rocks 2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
Made a Solvo type soap based on Elly's Everyday recipe. But I think I got DOS. It's small and I'm just going to have it be a feature of the soap (can I do that?) but it's irritating. I've never had DOS before. I'm wondering if I got it because I soaped cooler then 122F? The tallow wasn't rancid because I kept it in the fridge until needed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

PUMICE STONE (SOLVOL STYLE) per Elly’s Everyday
1250g total soap batter volume
6% superfat
2:1 water to lye ratio
3% essential oils of total oil amount

246 g water + 7g salt (to replicate salt water [sea water is approximately 3% salt water solution])
8.7g citric acid
128g NAoH
696g tallow, palm oil or lard (313 grams tallow the rest palm oil)
174g coconut oil
2/3 cup ground pumice stone
27g essential oil

Melt fats
Add Citric to water
Add NAoH to water/citric acid mix
ALLOW BOTH FATS TO Noah mix to 122F

Blend, oil, essential oils and pumice to light/medium trace
Pour into molds
If you've just made your soap, it isn't DOS. DOS develops over time.

I love reading this thread and feeding off this group's energy. As a new soapmaker, I learn so much from your conversation here.

Today, I made my first attempt at a diagonal line design in the new tall-skinny mold I got for my birthday. It was also the biggest batch I've made to date - 5 1/2 pounds. It's our favorite soap for hand washing at the sink. Somehow, waiting to unmold and cut hasn't gotten any easier since I started making soap in January!

I'm not able to make soap due to health, & it's been a while this way. It doesn't stop my brain from making "soap in the sky" instead of castles though!
So, like e/ morning I'm perusing the News, & come across this person whose Wishlist has gem: Tomato Leaf soap.
So down the rabbit hole I go. Just a short trip though bc I have a Dr's appt soon-ish today. And I find the one she's drooling after. If I'm out of line for linking it, pls forgive, & delete. But it's what she posted & I couldn't find another.
https://www.perfumesloewe.com/int/e...-leaves-large-soap-bar-LWSolidSoapTomato.html
It's an incredible US$65/bar that e/ weigh 290g.
Us soapmakers would immediately say, "I could make that!" But really, we could! Except how many of us have access to tomato leaves?! I know I don't. Most stores have tomatoes on the vine, sure, except NO leaves. Just stems & those remnants from the flowers. I used to know their names ... Brain fog took it.
So you see, we "could" make these bars, except for the main ingredient. AND, the buyers don't realize that THAT screaming RED color isn't from the leaves. 🙈🙊 Maybe clay?

I'm not able to make soap due to health, & it's been a while this way. It doesn't stop my brain from making "soap in the sky" instead of castles though!
So, like e/ morning I'm perusing the News, & come across this person whose Wishlist has gem: Tomato Leaf soap.
So down the rabbit hole I go. Just a short trip though bc I have a Dr's appt soon-ish today. And I find the one she's drooling after. If I'm out of line for linking it, pls forgive, & delete. But it's what she posted & I couldn't find another.
https://www.perfumesloewe.com/int/e...-leaves-large-soap-bar-LWSolidSoapTomato.html
Us soapmakers would immediately say, "I could make that!" But really, we could! Except how many of us have access to tomato leaves?! I know I don't. Most stores have tomatoes on the vine, sure, except NO leaves. Just stems & those remnants from the flowers. I used to know their names ... Brain fog took it.
So you see, we "could" make these bars, except for the main ingredient. AND, the buyers don't realize that THAT screaming RED color isn't from the leaves. 🙈🙊 Maybe clay?
I'll just drop this here:

tomato.png

Available at Candora (and other suppliers, I'm sure)

I cut my first diagonal line soap attempt. It's a coffee soap in a tall skinny mold. One half has cocoa powder to make it darker than the other. Extra batter of each color went into round cavity molds. The loaf went through gel phase, the cavity molds did not. Overall, I am pleased with how they turned out!

Attachments

• 20240913_125326.jpg
    20240913_125326.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 0
$ 65.00 = I need a few to try.

Met this man who stated that a relative gave him some donkey soap. I am just guessing that would be donkey tallow.? Any thoughts on this one?
Or donkey milk ~ or both 🤷🏼‍♀️
There is a guy I found on YouTube first that also has an Etsy page (Soapy Oaks), who makes basically any kind of bath & body product, from bison, bovine, sheep, goat and occasionally donkey. His videos are interesting because he talks a lot about how he keeps everything as natural as possible, as he was taught by his mother before him. I was looking for an example of his donkey products and this was the first item I came across, but he does also make soap, as I saw the video for that 😄
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1149001808/donkey-milk-body-cream

I also found a couple of his donkey products videos:

I hope you enjoy! 😁

Last edited:
I attempted to build / modify a mold to make pencil soaps. Mold works, the rebatched soap I poured in there did not. As soon as I gather the courage to wash everything, I will make another attempt - this time with fresh soap.
Shaved the honey soaps and stain sticks I made last week, as well as the last 100 of a 200 guest soap order.
Took out my soap dough to make little pips for an apple soap- only to find them all dried up! Guess tomorrow I must make a plan to make new dough, other wise the apple is not going to happen.

@Relle is keeping me on track with the Christmas countdown, so I made 2 batches of Ciaglia soap today and used all of my scraps up!
I also finished 2 bottles of FO doing this, on my quest to use what I have so I can buy more 😂🤣😂
Both topped with M&P ball embeds.
Pink one is FB Cherry Champagne FO - BB Red Blue mica with a squirt of TD
Green one is FB Champagne Pear FO - BB Kermit Green mica with a squirt of TD
IMG_5283.jpeg

I attempted to build / modify a mold to make pencil soaps. Mold works, the rebatched soap I poured in there did not. As soon as I gather the courage to wash everything, I will make another attempt - this time with fresh soap.
Shaved the honey soaps and stain sticks I made last week, as well as the last 100 of a 200 guest soap order.
Took out my soap dough to make little pips for an apple soap- only to find them all dried up! Guess tomorrow I must make a plan to make new dough, other wise the apple is not going to happen.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work and disappointment!

Back