What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The entire rest of the room is dedicated to making bath and body products, and papercrafting with my Cricut.
It seems everyone in the US has a Cricut :(, would love one of those things, too expensive here :mad:.
Have fun with making the retreat goodies.

It seems everyone in the US has a Cricut :(, would love one of those things, too expensive here :mad:.
Have fun with making the retreat goodies.
Thanks! The Cricut is really fun. I bought mine used, so I paid far less than retail for it. Seems that a fair number of people get them for gifts and then don't like them or use them. Maybe check Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for your area and see if there is something out there?

@AliOop I'm eternally jealous of those who have their own soaping room! All my soaping supplies are in boxes behind a screen.

I was watching soapmaking videos and this video popped up. Now I know why (I've always wondered why, but was too embarrassed to ask) we do NOT use aluminum utensils when making soap!

I think I am now 100% off soda pop! YIKES.

Thanks to advice from @jeanemarie and @Relle , I rebatched the Pumpkin Spice soap from last week. I think it's cute, not quite what I wanted, but definitely feeling like I know where I am headed now!

My daughter's idea was to make it look like a cauldron "witch's brew", with black sides and bottom "cauldron" and the rebatched confetti in the center "brew". I still have some shreds left over, so maybe I'll try again, but make the black part thicker. Change the confetti to Ciaglia? Perhaps?? My one concern is that I don't want to soap with black too much. I've had heavy pink color make heavy pink later; don't want to repeat that with black.

Anyway, here it is! Also, I practiced with the pumpkin mold, which was fun. This fragrance has a heavy vanilla. I used a stabilizer, but I'm sure it will brown up a bit in a few weeks. Just in time for October!

ETA: Check out how the color has changed in a matter of hours! That is so interesting! I like it even better!

Attachments

• Pumpkin_Witchesbrew.jpg
    Pumpkin_Witchesbrew.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Pumpkin_Witchesbrew1.jpg
    Pumpkin_Witchesbrew1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7616.jpg
    IMG_7616.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I got back on the forum. :) Got distracted for a minute there, but I've been out here making soap!

Think I've figured out a few of my favorite bars to make: a rosemary one, a litsea/lime one (yes I'm following the fragrance safety directions!), a lavender one, and a cocoa butter/unscented one. It feels really nice to have a set of standards.

And I think I've figured out my favorite basic recipe. For now. I'm sure I'll play around more!

I have tried cardboard, plastic cardboard, thick plastic with thick tape. Finally broke down and just bought a mold with liners. Although I think if you could find plexiglass and have it cut perfectly, it would work well. I have also seen people hold the liners or have help holding the liners as they pour. Now I know why it's called a "Challenge." 😂

I have tried cardboard, plastic cardboard, thick plastic with thick tape. Finally broke down and just bought a mold with liners.
Same! They worked ok, but not great. And I probably spent more in tape and plexiglass than I did to purchase an inexpensive mold that came with liners. @Servant4Christ of course, if you have stuff around for experiments, don't let me discourage you. You probably are more adept at what I call "hand skills," like cutting in a straight line. Even with a straight edge, my cuts are always jagged and crooked. Sigh.

@GuacamoleSalad we'd like some pictures, pretty please :)

Last edited:
I haven't soaped in a year, so I'm waiting on supplies. I have dandelions infusing in olive oil for Dandelion & Bees soap. When the supplies get here I can make a batch of Aleppo soap. Third batch will be Oatmeal Oatmilk & Honey. I'll be trying a new fragrance oil - Cannabis Cashmere.

I am waiting on supplies too... Found a new supplier for cold-pressed coconut oil and was all excited, but they are slow and unresponsive. After much pestering they finally responded that the CO has been dispatched. Like pulling teeth, I tell you. The boy and I are excited to try some new recipes! Not much luck securing butters, so we are still sticking with the simple stuff.

Back