What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. I do not believe that the 'customer is always right'. Some thirty odd years ago, I was having a garage sale and it was Sunday and everything was half-off. I had a small box of stuffed animals and dolls...25 cents each. This guy comes buy and offers me a nickel for each and then cops an attitude when I said no thank you, they are already discounted to a quarter. I knew his type...he'd buy them then turn around an sell them for a buck. He then low-balled me on a couple of other items and left in a huff when I told him that I toss them in the trash rather than sell them to him.

If there is a problem with my product, I will of course make it right, but I know that I make a good product(s) and so I don't need to deal with entitled people or scammers.

Glad to know someone else gets this. I work overtime to make sure my products are high quality, far higher quality than anything we have locally. I put a lot into market research, a lot into design research, a lot into formulation research & creation, and I even harvest and/or grow my cultivated & wild plants which I use in my products. I do more than anyone I know, from product concept, to formulation, to creation, to packaging, labeling & product delivery. I am the type of person who is willing to work til 5AM to get something right, to ensure my customers are getting the best I can possibly give them. I don't do anything half-@ssed. Ever. Every detail is important. And if I screw something up - I own it immediately, apologize for whatever it is I've screwed up (grainy lip balm, for example) and go back to the drawing board, giving them something they can feel good about selling to their own customers. I also provide retailers with personal samples of everything I make (within reason) so they know exactly what they are paying for & that they are receiving quality.

So yeah, when someone is constantly giving me nothing to work with - I can't guess what it is you are hoping for - COMMUNICATE for the love of god. Stop whining for %!#@'s sake, you're not a child :rolleyes:Put your big girl panties on & behave like a business owner. If not, I will fire you, without hesitation. Same way I feel about clients I take on in my IT work. My peace of mind & the joy I feel in creating things of the highest quality trump everything. Customer be d@mned in that case.

I really hope she gets it together, but I am not holding my breath. I have made the decision that I - yes I - am deciding what I create every year in terms of soaps. I will let customers know what their choices are for that year & they can choose to purchase or not. If not, there are always other customers. The others understand what it is my ethics, quality control, ingredient choices, marketing etc are all about. This one..... :nonono:despite the fact that she insisted she wanted all-natural products 😂

Funnily, I have had community members beginning to drop by my house asking for me to sell directly to them because they have heard great things from other community members about my products & are not happy with other brand's soaps etc they have been purchasing locally. I do NOT live anywhere that is easily accessible, and yet they still come to me. So yeah, I must be doing something right? 😂

That said, there is always room for improvement, and I am no more the picture of perfection than anyone else. But I DO turn out quality products which put 'luxury' brands to shame for the prices they charge.

I formulated an amazing honey cleanser late last night, which I am already using. Probably the most decadent cleanser I have created in the decades I have been creating various products for my own skin. Followed my my usual herbal infused moisture oil last night, my skin looks & feels amazing this morning. Like a baby's bottom. Incredibly smooth, even toned & fresh looking. Just.....wow ❤️

I will be monitoring this product for stability, texture changes, bacterial growth, mold etc over the fall & adding an appropriate blend of natural preservatives if needed.

This will be further formulated into 3 different cleansers for mature, 'normal' & breakout prone skin, for sale next spring.

Super excited about this formulation! I truly 💘 working with plants!

It's that time of year again... our annual Ladies' Retreat is fast approaching. I did sugar scrubs last year, but this year they requested a soap, bathbomb, and lip balm for each bag. Right-o. Soaps are curing. Bath bombs are made and wrapped; the ones off to the right are the cracked or activated ones - not too many out of the whole batch, considering they were made on a day with some rain drizzles.

Lip balms were just poured and should be ready to cap and label in a bit (using @DeeAnna's recipe - thank you!). I generally don't enjoy making lip balms, but this time wasn't that bad. I measured the three ingredients into a glass measuring bowl, nuked it for 2.5 minutes, stirred in the flavor oil, and poured. Despite several passes with the heat gun, I'm still not happy with about half of the tops, but OH WELL. Considering that everything is being donated for welcome bags, the irregularities shall remain as part of the handmade charm. ;)

IMG_2500.jpegIMG_2517.jpeg

I’m doing lotions and lip balm for our retreat.
What type of container are you using for the lotions? I'd love to do those next time if I could find smaller, reasonably-priced containers that would dispense easily. Pumps seem like a risky choice for gift bags; the locking mechanisms either open too easily (creating potential messes before they got home) or are so tight that I have to pre-open them with pliers (looking at you, WSP).

What type of container are you using for the lotions? I'd love to do those next time if I could find smaller, reasonably-priced containers that would dispense easily. Pumps seem like a risky choice for gift bags; the locking mechanisms either open too easily (creating potential messes before they got home) or are so tight that I have to pre-open them with pliers (looking at you, WSP).
My lotions are a thick cream so I am using Tuzazo 4oz Plastic Jars. They aren't the cheapest jars I have found, but they do close tightly and haven't opened after bouncing around in my purse for a week. I have debated on going with a thinner lotion to be dispensed in a tube or bottle, but then there is the hassle of filling them. Yes I can use a zip lock bag or piping bag, but that's more trash or equipment to clean. Right now, I can easily pour the lotion while it is still warm and fluid into jars...then cover with cheesecloth to cool overnight in the garage, and cap the next day. And it's not like I'm having to make a 100 of them...just 24 so I'm not too worried about the cost.

My lotions are a thick cream so I am using Tuzazo 4oz Plastic Jars. They aren't the cheapest jars I have found, but they do close tightly and haven't opened after bouncing around in my purse for a week. I have debated on going with a thinner lotion to be dispensed in a tube or bottle, but then there is the hassle of filling them. Yes I can use a zip lock bag or piping bag, but that's more trash or equipment to clean. Right now, I can easily pour the lotion while it is still warm and fluid into jars...then cover with cheesecloth to cool overnight in the garage, and cap the next day. And it's not like I'm having to make a 100 of them...just 24 so I'm not too worried about the cost.
My feedback from users was that they don't like containers into which they must dip their hands. Otherwise, I have tons of white 4oz jars like that, which are still in sealed packaging and were free from a pharmacy that was tossing them out. But I may go your route and just make a thicker cream that needs that type of container and call it good.

My feedback from users was that they don't like containers into which they must dip their hands. Otherwise, I have tons of white 4oz jars like that, which are still in sealed packaging and were free from a pharmacy that was tossing them out. But I may go your route and just make a thicker cream that needs that type of container and call it good.
I can certainly appreciate that, but at the same time as the jar allows me to get all the creamy goodness out while there is wasted product in tubes and bottles.

ETA - I sometimes have serious concerns about the connection between my brain and my fingers when I look back over stuff I write. I knew I meant to type that I understood because I have long nails and it can be annoying to get stuff under them, but I also consider that it is my choice to have long nails and that is just a part of it. I just learned to 'dip' backwards, or use a knuckle.

Last edited:
there is wasted product in tubes and bottles.
Nuke 10 seconds in the microwave, shake well and the stuff pours right out.
Allow to cool before using -- it cools fairly quickly. Use up ASAP because the heat may compromise the preservative, altho I haven't had that problem. I pour into a small plastic container that holds the dressing that comes with salads.

Because I've had so few markets this year (so far), I haven't needed to make a lot of soap this year. Now, though, my main market is picking up a bit, leading up to Christmas. I still don't need to make a lot of soap but I did need to make a few of my better selling bath & body products. Yesterday, I made a batch of Hyaluronic Acid serum with Bakuchiol extract and today, I made a batch of Vitamin C Searum (spelled that way on purpose), made with Sea Kelp Bioferment.

I have a couple of soap batches ready for wrapping so I'll be doing that over the next few days (after work). I'm really looking forward to getting back into a semi-regular market schedule. I've missed my peeps!

I have enjoyed every single minute of this Labor Day (USA holiday) and hope all my Labor Day-observing peeps did too.

I made soap today, yay for that!. I also spent time in my beloved garden. I'm not sure what happened but out of the blue I experienced a 'poison ivy' reaction on my arms and torso -- and hoo boy, it did not feel good. Did I consult Dr. Google?! No! Why would I when I belong to this Forum!? I decided to experiment. My right side of my body got treated with my pine tar salve, my left side got an over-the-counter cortisone cream. The inflammation, pain, and redness decreased dramatically in minutes, both sides. One, I know exactly what ingredients are in it; one, not so much. And my right side smells like a campfire, so, who knows, maybe Mrs. Zing finds that sexy?

Last edited:
A friend who attended our recent retreat (and received my products in her gift bag) asked if I could make some items for her to use as door prizes for an upcoming shower. Thankfully I had lip balms left over from the retreat, so I just had to whip up a small batch (400g) of lotion, and a small batch of bath bombs. She wants one of each item to create three gift bags. At the last minute, I decided to use my mooncake press. Those don't usually turn out well for me, but I took my time and really pressed a small amount of the mix into the decorative top, before filling and packing the rest of the mold. I think they turned out pretty well! She only needed three, so the ones with broken edges, and the final one that is smaller than the others, will end up being mine. :)

She is also getting a sample syndet shampoo bar and sample hair conditioner bar. We have very similar hair so she is hopeful that my usual formula will work well for her, too.

IMG_2541.jpg

Update on the previous post:

The lotion apparently separated during the plane flight. :eek:😭 She said that some oil was on top, so they skimmed it off and used it anyway. Still, I felt terrible! I can count on one hand my lotions that have separated, and it has never happened on a batch that went to someone else. She was very gracious and declined a refund. I had to force her to accept two replacement tubs.

To restore my lotion-making confidence, tonight I made a 400g batch of lavender-magnesium cream. Just like the first batch, it turned out very thick and has such great absorbency, with no soaping and no greasy after-feel. My sleep is definitely better when I take magnesium internally and also apply magnesium to my skin, so this is now a staple in my routine!

Update on the previous post:

The lotion apparently separated during the plane flight. :eek:😭 She said that some oil was on top, so they skimmed it off and used it anyway. Still, I felt terrible! I can count on one hand my lotions that have separated, and it has never happened on a batch that went to someone else. She was very gracious and declined a refund. I had to force her to accept two replacement tubs.

To restore my lotion-making confidence, tonight I made a 400g batch of lavender-magnesium cream. Just like the first batch, it turned out very thick and has such great absorbency, with no soaping and no greasy after-feel. My sleep is definitely better when I take magnesium internally and also apply magnesium to my skin, so this is now a staple in my routine!
I hate when something like that happens.

I had my first experience with mold a couple of weeks ago, something I haven't experienced since using the DIY Lotion concentrate. I have a feeling it was "user error", though.

20231013_093219.jpg

It looks like she tried to scoop some cream with dirty, possibly wet, fingers and where she touched, it got moldy. I'm trying to recreate the issue (she said she sampled it when she got it 7 weeks ago, then put the lid back on and left it). In all the years I've been making this cream, it's the first time I've experienced this.

Back