What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll be going on vacation soon so I'm trying not to do too much in my soapy kitchen but I've been doing a lot of reading on emulsified body scrubs and couldn't resist trying a couple of batches.

The pink one is from one of Tara Lee's recipes (free on YT), while the green one is based on Swift Crafty Monkey's base recipe. The pink one is scented with Pink Sugar FO, with mainly sunflower oil. The green one is scented with Green Tea FO and contains matcha powder, in addition to the sugar, and is made with a blend of oils that includes Kokum butter, Babassu oil, and sweet almond oil. I love both but I have noticed that the SCM scrub is less greasy and leaves my skin feeling "drier" than the Tara Lee recipe.

Sugar Scrubs.png

For those of you who make scrubs, what are your favourite ingredients?

We'll be going on vacation soon so I'm trying not to do too much in my soapy kitchen but I've been doing a lot of reading on emulsified body scrubs and couldn't resist trying a couple of batches.

The pink one is from one of Tara Lee's recipes (free on YT), while the green one is based on Swift Crafty Monkey's base recipe. The pink one is scented with Pink Sugar FO, with mainly sunflower oil. The green one is scented with Green Tea FO and contains matcha powder, in addition to the sugar, and is made with a blend of oils that includes Kokum butter, Babassu oil, and sweet almond oil. I love both but I have noticed that the SCM scrub is less greasy and leaves my skin feeling "drier" than the Tara Lee recipe.

View attachment 73582

Ive used TaraLee's recipe. I tweak it a bit with shea and rice bran oil. I use it as a facial scrub once per week and its been working well. Assuming its the same recipe, she has a few of them

My bath and body thing is I bought a new bath bomb mold that works great with my recipe, it's a cute rubber ducky mold. Scented it with a Honey I washed the kids Dup and it has orange embeds inside.

pixelcut-export (3).jpeg

View attachment 73582

I don’t know how I missed this post! My favorite scrub is still the sugar scrub made with the DIY B&B foaming bath butter base recipe.

But I also love the dupe of Lush’s Buffy Bar from Emily Lefler’s YT channel. It isn’t foamy or emulsified; it is a solid “lotion bar” with scrubbies that also moisturizes.

@msunnerstood I love those BBs!!

Last edited:
I don’t know how I missed this post! My favorite scrub is still the sugar scrub made with the DIY B&B foaming bath butter base recipe.

But I also love the dupe of Lush’s Buffy Bar from Emily Lefler’s YT channel. It isn’t foamy or emulsified; it is a solid “lotion bar”
with scrubbies that also moisturizes.

@msunnerstood I love those BBs!!
The DIY scrrub is my daughter's fave as well I'm still trying to decide which I prefer.

@msunnerstood, love that mold! Total cuteness!

I made this vanilla-scented body cream that's not greasy even though the oil phase is 37.5%. This is actually the 3rd time formulating this body cream. The 1st time I think I wasn't paying attention in calculating the oil phase and "overwhelmed" my emulsifier ( glad I didn't waste any FOs on that). Surprisingly I really liked the skin feel (and yes I still used it even though it looked horrific lol). The 2nd time I added more emulsifiers and made sure to stick blend well and ended up with a cream that I feel kind of made me dry (like I wasn't dry enough that I needed to put on lotion, it was just weird). Plus it was whippy because I aerated the cream too much. But I'm pleased now because my body cream looks like pudding 😌

20230805_193845.jpg20230723_182242.jpg20230723_182454.jpg

I made this vanilla-scented body cream that's not greasy even though the oil phase is 37.5%. This is actually the 3rd time formulating this body cream. The 1st time I think I wasn't paying attention in calculating the oil phase and "overwhelmed" my emulsifier ( glad I didn't waste any FOs on that). Surprisingly I really liked the skin feel (and yes I still used it even though it looked horrific lol). The 2nd time I added more emulsifiers and made sure to stick blend well and ended up with a cream that I feel kind of made me dry (like I wasn't dry enough that I needed to put on lotion, it was just weird). Plus it was whippy because I aerated the cream too much. But I'm pleased now because my body cream looks like pudding 😌

View attachment 74029View attachment 74032View attachment 74033
Wow ~ I haven't ventured into this creative area yet so I wasn't sure what you meant until I saw the pictures. And that top picture definitely looks good enough to eat! 👏👏👏

Last edited:
I've been playing around with shampoo bars today. Yeah, I have my regular shampoo bars that I make for the market but I'm always on the lookout for things I think will work for MY hair. I tried two recipes today, one from Humblebee & Me, and one based on a Swift Crafty Monkey recipe for fine, dry hair.

I've been playing around with shampoo bars today. Yeah, I have my regular shampoo bars that I make for the market but I'm always on the lookout for things I think will work for MY hair. I tried two recipes today, one from Humblebee & Me, and one based on a Swift Crafty Monkey recipe for fine, dry hair.

I've watched the one from Humblebee, but I've never tried this Lush shampoo. I kept wondering if it kind of defeats the purpose of the shampoo to have conditioner chips added to the bar. Have you tried it yet? How is it?

Thank you for sharing this video @Misschief. I hadn’t seen it. Extremely well, scripted and produced! I’d be watching many more videos if they were all this well done. Unfortunately for me now I’m going to have to try another from scratch recipe to check against the Stephenson Syndopour. The Stephenson video shows making a shampoo and conditioning bar by making 1/2 conditioner and 1/2 shampoo. Haven’t tried that yet.

I've watched the one from Humblebee, but I've never tried this Lush shampoo. I kept wondering if it kind of defeats the purpose of the shampoo to have conditioner chips added to the bar. Have you tried it yet? How is it?
I made it yesterday and it isn't quite hard enough to use yet. She suggests letting it sit for about three days. I will get back to you when I next wash my hair (I try for once a week).

I made it yesterday and it isn't quite hard enough to use yet. She suggests letting it sit for about three days. I will get back to you when I next wash my hair (I try for once a week).
How many bars did the lush recipe make?

Thank you so much! Honestly, I'm fine with the actual maths, but understanding what the weights and sizes MEAN often escapes my comprehension. I only make for myself, so six shampoo bars would be a big commitment of ingredients 😁

Thank you so much! Honestly, I'm fine with the actual maths, but understanding what the weights and sizes MEAN often escapes my comprehension. I only make for myself, so six shampoo bars would be a big commitment of ingredients 😁
The recipe also has percentages; if you're at all comfortable with Excel, it's pretty easy to scale it up or down.

I poured, labeled & delivered the largest amount of salves, body butters & related this past week. My customers were very happy with the packaging, labeling & the product. One of my customers was a complete downer this week - and past weeks - in regards to soaps, but then again, she is proving to be one of the people who I may choose to stop dealing with. Problem solved :)

Next up, a large batch of mineral based deodorants. I love this product so much after testing it myself for the past 4 months or so.

This winter I will be playing with various emulsifiers I have been stocking up on in order to formulate some new body care products I am working on.

One of my customers was a complete downer this week - and past weeks - in regards to soaps, but then again, she is proving to be one of the people who I may choose to stop dealing with. Problem solved
Exactly. I do not believe that the 'customer is always right'. Some thirty odd years ago, I was having a garage sale and it was Sunday and everything was half-off. I had a small box of stuffed animals and dolls...25 cents each. This guy comes buy and offers me a nickel for each and then cops an attitude when I said no thank you, they are already discounted to a quarter. I knew his type...he'd buy them then turn around an sell them for a buck. He then low-balled me on a couple of other items and left in a huff when I told him that I toss them in the trash rather than sell them to him.

If there is a problem with my product, I will of course make it right, but I know that I make a good product(s) and so I don't need to deal with entitled people or scammers.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This is the big allergy item that many people can't use.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This is the big allergy item that many people can't use.
Cocamidopropyl betaine is an ingredient in this recipe that is a known allergen. My understanding is that SLS is more of an irritant than an actual allergen, esp for those with skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema (like my husband, who absolutely cannot use SLS without pretty significant irritation and flares).

Cocamidopropyl betaine is an ingredient in this recipe that is a known allergen. My understanding is that SLS is more of an irritant than an actual allergen, esp for those with skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema (like my husband, who absolutely cannot use SLS without pretty significant irritation and flares).
Thank you! my YD and a family member both can not tolerate SLS!

Back