SMF September 2024 Challenge - Feathered Mantra Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you add anything, like sugar or salt, to the water before trying to dissolve the lye? What lye concentration are you using?
I disolve 1% sugar before my lye and I do 33% lye concentration.

My plan was a 3% superfat but given my loaf is still soft 48 hrs later I think it's either a high superfat or the cocoa powder I used for coloring decided to do something.

I noticed that the container from Amazon lists ingredients as follows: Shea, PEG-100, sodium hydroxide. I've always tried to buy lye that is around 99% sodium hydroxide. Might that make a difference?
Weird, I'm not seeing that at all. When I click the link provided above, the product ingredients say 100% sodium hydroxide.

I made two of them.
This is the two colors on top but three colors in the mold one (the base was at to light a trace🤦🏿‍♂️). I didn't use a separator in the mold.

I never thought I could do such a thing as this🤯
1000015415.jpg

1000015411.jpg

@justsomeguy that looks great! This is not your entry soap, though, is it? Want to be sure you aren't disqualifying any possible entry by posting pictures outside of the entry thread (or that someone else who is new might think it is ok to do that).

@Mobjack Bay I'm still working on my soap room organization, so I'm holding off on registration until some soap has actually been made. It's going way more slowly than I imagined, and I still don't know where some supplies have managed to hide themselves.

@justsomeguy that looks great! This is not your entry soap, though, is it? Want to be sure you aren't disqualifying any possible entry by posting pictures outside of the entry thread (or that someone else who is new might think it is ok to do that).

Nah. It's not. Because only two colors are visible on the top. The entry is beside it. Looks a little better and 3 colors are visible😁
@Mobjack Bay I'm still working on my soap room organization, so I'm holding off on registration until some soap has actually been made. It's going way more slowly than I imagined, and I still don't know where some supplies have managed to hide themselves.
I should've made some body butter and body cream, but I realized that if I didn't make it today I wouldn't have an entry, so, ta da🤣

My new mold with dividers is supposed to come tomorrow, but it says it hasn't been shipped yet. I'm planning on making a small practice batch today without dividers to try and zero in the colors I want. Like @AliOop I'm holding off on registering until I know I can get a batch made...

Latest posts

Back