How are you offsetting the cost of Olive Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm leaning more heavily into lard soaps, and replacing 10% of my olive oil with avocado oil.. hard to believe that's cheaper now! I like the feel of lard soap better than an heavy OO soap anyway though so I would do that even if OO prices magically came back down.

I have tried sunflower oil in my last two batches. They are curing now, so we'll see in 4 weeks. I have also found OO on Amazon Fresh for $10 for 51oz in NYC, which is better than Walmart which was $18 for 51 oz.

I started subbing in HO Sunflower or RBO for 10% of the olive oil now from 38% to 28%…still spendy! I just read an article though about cocoa and sugar products going up in pricing 😓
Holy smokes!!! I'm so glad you said something... the price of cocoa butter has SKYROCKETED!

The 5lb bag is literally $100 more than I paid less than 2 months ago.
https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-by-product/ingredients/butters/deodorized-cocoa-butter-wafers/V000525.html#q=cocoa+butter&lang=default&start=1

Oh my my my, cocoa butter is really important to my product lines, yikes!

Can anyone recommend a good sub for cocoa butter? For both soap and skin?

Holy smokes!!! I'm so glad you said something... the price of cocoa butter has SKYROCKETED!

https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-by-product/ingredients/butters/deodorized-cocoa-butter-wafers/V000525.html#q=cocoa+butter&lang=default&start=1

I started expensive and kind of stayed that way. My lotions have Kokum or illipe butters. The good thing is my recipes take less of these than cocoa butter. I don’t sell. Just make for myself and family so maybe coming from a different direction 🤔

I get most of my base oils/butters from Soaper’s Choice except for Olive oil. I snagged a 10lb box of organic cocoa butter in November and I’m hoping it will last the rest of this year because yeah, the prices hurt!

I like shea or mango butter but they are creamier than cocoa butter. Maybe bassabu.

Well, I made my first batch with mostly lard and taking the OO down to 3 oz. It's still soft, but I like how this is doing is comparison to the sunflower oil. Honestly been thinking of starting to put my soap in the freezer to see if it will come out of the mold smoother. I always have the same problem no matter what I do, even if I wait a week to unmold it. It sticks on the bottom of the silicon mold because it's too soft. And it doesn't seem to matter the recipe I use, unless it's almost all coconut oil.

Well, I made my first batch with mostly lard and taking the OO down to 3 oz. It's still soft, but I like how this is doing is comparison to the sunflower oil. Honestly been thinking of starting to put my soap in the freezer to see if it will come out of the mold smoother. I always have the same problem no matter what I do, even if I wait a week to unmold it. It sticks on the bottom of the silicon mold because it's too soft. And it doesn't seem to matter the recipe I use, unless it's almost all coconut oil.
Try greasing the mold with a thin layer of mineral oil. It won't saponify and the soap should slide right out.

Back