How are you offsetting the cost of Olive Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROFL 🤣 until "the man" comes by to check on it's where abouts. How much soap would you have to sell to pay the lawyer, the court fees /fines etc?
Well, let's see. I figure for a decent criminal defense attorney for a petty retail theft will probably be around 2500 dollars. So I would have to sell 1250 ounces of finished product just to defend myself. Maff, heh...

The butcher paper method is the best and what I always use. I've never tried the freezer yet, though. That sounds like a good idea. I do put my lye solution in the freezer to speed up the cooling process because I'm impatient AF.
Don't use butcher paper if you are in Australia (that's if you can find it, most use paper bags now), it won't work.

I used to do that, or use distilled water ice cubes. Now I master-batch my lye solution so it's always cool and ready to soap. Highly recommended for us impatient types.;)
I was going to ask on here if that's ok to do! I'm glad to you can. How do you know how much of the pre made water/lye solution in a batch if though? I've noticed that I often calculate different amounts of water/lye depending on the oils and butters I use. Or is this for the same recipe only?

Don't use butcher paper if you are in Australia (that's if you can find it, most use paper bags now), it won't work.
But can I use it on the other side of the planet? That's what I want to know.

I was going to ask on here if that's ok to do! I'm glad to you can. How do you know how much of the pre made water/lye solution in a batch if though? I've noticed that I often calculate different amounts of water/lye depending on the oils and butters I use. Or is this for the same recipe only?
You can masterbatch your solution in the strength that you use for most recipes, perhaps 33% lye concentration, for instance.

The other way, which is what I do, is to make a 50% solution. When I’m ready to soap, I add whatever additional water is needed to reach my desired concentration for that batch. I prefer that so I have some liquid available for dissolving some additives, such as sorbitol or sodium citrate.

The soap calculator I use has an option to account for masterbatched lye solution at any strength.

Here is a good video that explains it.

Back