What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well first of all the recipe called for 5g and it seems i added a zero and added 50 g 🤦‍♀️.

I used a 3% superfat with no extra.
My instinct* is that it may be an oily mess. Try running the real numbers through the lye calculator and see what it tells you.

-=-
Fair warning, I've only got a few dozen batches under my belt... If someone else counters my opinion, I won't be surprised!

Well first of all the recipe called for 5g and it seems i added a zero and added 50 g 🤦‍♀️.

I used a 3% superfat with no extra.
Whether this ends up being a big deal or not depends on the size of your batch.

According to DeeAnna's website, 10 g citric acid neutralizes 6.24 g NaOH.

Since you used 50g, that would have neutralized 31.2 g of NaOH.

Go back to your recipe in the calculator. Keep upping the SF until you see 31.2 g less of NaOH than where you started. When you reach that point, that will tell you the final superfat of your soap.

Go back to your recipe in the calculator. Keep upping the SF until you see 31.2 g less of NaOH than where you started. When you reach that point, that will tell you the final superfat of your soap.
Ok will do and thanks to you as well @Jorah

well @AliOop and @Jorah it seems i have a soupy mess and a 47% superfat 🤦‍♀️😢🤭

I wasn’t really in the mood to make soap anyway and who cares about the wasted cocoa butter 🙄

BTW @AliOop and @Jorah below is what the recipe was supposed to be lol

Attachments

• IMG_5635.png
    IMG_5635.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
I just had a 50% super fat soap due to a masterbatch error. I managed to get something (just barely) resembling soap in the end.
No way really?! I am hot processing as we speak but still soupy. If i keep cooking will it help? Also, i am worried about what that amount of superfat will do to my pipes. Probably best to just scrap it i guess

No way really?! I am hot processing as we speak but still soupy. If i keep cooking will it help? Also, i am worried about what that amount of superfat will do to my pipes. Probably best to just scrap it i guess

No, don't scrap it!! Since you are cooking it now, and have not molded it yet, just add some more lye solution to reduce the SF. Easy-peasy:

Mix up 31g of NaOH with 31g of water.

Add that to your batter.

Carefully stickblend it until all the liquid is mixed in.

You can mold it right away, or you can cook it until it is zap-free - or anything in between.

Since you have added more water, cooking it for 20-30 minutes might be the better option to evaporate out some of that extra water.

No, don't scrap it!! Since you are cooking it now, and have not molded it yet, just add some more lye solution to reduce the SF. Easy-peasy:

Add that to your batter.

You can mold it right away, or you can cook it until it is zap-free - or anything in between.

Since you have added more water, cooking it for 20-30 minutes might be the better option to evaporate out some of that extra water.
I am now eagerly awaiting the results of this accidental experiment! :)

Add that to your batter.

I caaaan’t 😭 i don’t have enough lye! This was a big learning curve for me. Focus focus focus Sorry @Jorah there will be no saving this batch. Also, limited lard too. I was trying to use up bits and pieces.

I appreciate all the help you both have been.

I caaaan’t 😭 i don’t have enough lye! This was a big learning curve for me. Focus focus focus Sorry @Jorah there will be no saving this batch. Also, limited lard too. I was trying to use up bits and pieces.

I appreciate all the help you both have been.
Oh no!! Can you run to the hardware store? I'd go get some for you if I were close by 😭

EDIT: do you have any KOH? You could make a dual-lye soap!

Mine was cold process for the wood grain challenge. I let it sit for days, drained of the excess oil, then got something that kinda looks like soap.

Edit: my typist hates me🤦🏿‍♂️

Last edited:
Mine was cold process for the wood grain challenge. I let it sit for days, drained of the excess oil, then got something that kinda looks like soap.

Edit: my typist hates me🤦🏿‍♂️
Lmao mine has more oil than soap. I am glad you could salvage yours. Back to the drawing board for me

Back