Vanilla that doesn't discolor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any vanilla that has any vanalinn content will discolor - even some that don't have vanilin will discoler due to other elements within the scent.
The only luck I've had with helping vanilla to not discolor is by using a very specific vanilla stabilizer and even then some browning would occur after about 6-9 months or so if the vanalinn content was high enough.

Doesn't have to be straight vanilla scent but something along the lines of vanilla or a blend that includes notes of vanilla. I'm not confident in working with something that discolors and DIY dividers that I'll have to make for this design are a bear, so I need to get it right the first time.

I didn't think there was such a thing, a vanillin that doesn't discolour. Following to see the answers.

I thought Bitter Creek went out of business, but just checked the website and it is still up. The VCS they carry works very well.
Do you have a favorite FO that this definitely works well with? I need tried and true, no surprises. I'm looking at Warm Vanilla Sugar and Vanilla Bean Noel. Not sure which is best and which supplier to choose but I think either scent would work. I'm also looking at one a little outside the box... Nurture's Comfort and Joy, which doesn't discolor according to the reviews.

Last edited:
Would a cookie fragrance work for your project? Bramble Berry has one called Sugar and Spice that doesn't turn brown, IIRC at most it was a light cream or slightly yellowish. Been a while, but I remember it being a sweet scent with a pretty good vanilla note, and the spice didn't seem strong at all (maybe sort of a combo of vanilla and snickerdoodle cookies?). It is one of the only sweet bakery scents I've seen that doesn't turn completely brown. Just a thought, as I don't have experience with any of the stabilizers. 🍀

My favorite vanilla was from Elements, which is now under the WSP umbrella, and I don't know if they have any of the Elements fragrance oils. I usually stay away from FOs that discolor to dark brown, TBH. I only occasionally use VCS any more - I mostly plan around any discoloration. Nurture's Anarchy is a nice sandalwood/vanilla that discolors to a light-medium tan. I haven't used Comfort and Joy, but have heard good things. I don't know how strong the vanilla note is, or how important it is that it is dominant.

Latest posts

Back