Silicone use in cold process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superfat is extra saponifiable fat or fatty acid in the soap than is strictly required to exactly react with the alkali.

A small amount of superfat is used to ensure there is no excess lye in the soap. Additional superfat can be used to add mildness to some types of soap. An example is 100% coconut oil soap which is very harsh to the skin without a high superfat %.

Since 'cones don't saponify, they can't ensure the soap is skin safe. I also doubt they would add mildness to a 100% coconut oil soap. So I'd say they don't qualify as superfat. I'd look at 'cones as more of an additive.

@Kluddeke , you may also want to consider other ingredients that have that silicone-like feel and don't saponify. Lanolin is one (although it partially saponifies, and isn't exactly an analog to dimethicone), but there are others out there. Try a Google search for "Dimethicone alternatives."

Let us know how dimethicone works out if you try an experiment.

BTW, @DeeAnna , after I read your article, I tried lanolin at 3% in many of my recent batches. I love it. I was afraid that going to 5% would become noticeably stickier/tackier, but 3% feels sublime. I might bump it up a few points in a future batch to see... Thank you. 🙏

Back