All soap colors turning purple

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imguwmybeawr

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm make orange, coffee, and lavender cold processed soap. We are adding mica to the color. In previous batches, I've been able to get the desired color of the coffee soap, but I'm also getting about 50% of the batches coming out purple. The orange soap recipe has been producing a consistent orange color we desire. However, between yesterday and today, we made 12 batches and all of them turned purple. It's the same color purple as the coffee soap.

We are using PVC tube molds with silicone liners. Recipe is a combination of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, almond oil, shea butter, essential oil, cocoa butter, cbd oil

You'll need to provide your recipe, all ingredients all in weights. Don't leave out any ingredients, however minor, please.

Just knowing the names of the fats isn't sufficient information to troubleshoot.

edit: It would also be good to know if you've changed brands or suppliers of any ingredients, including the micas and fragrance, and if that change correlates to the issues you're seeing.

Last edited:
this is only happening on the top and the outside, the inside is the desired color. We just cut it
As @DeeAnna says, "You'll need to provide your recipe, all ingredients all in weights. Don't leave out any ingredients, however minor, please."

Also, tell us more about those silicone liners. How long have you been using them? What color are they? Where did you pick them up?

Also, also, what do the soaps look like after about a week? Is the discoloration remaining on the outside of the soap or is the whole soap starting to color?

Are you using rain water?

You know that smell after it rains? The smell of green growing things. I've always associated it with life and I really love that smell. It's called geosimin. It's a chemical that's created by bacteria in the soil after it rains. I bought some from a fragrance oil maker (can't remember her name atm). I did NOT expect it to be so strong. But it was the color that got me more than the scent. It turned my soap purple. And not like a good purple either. It was really weird. I decided to never use it again.

But I had a thought, it might be the rain water if you used it. Some people think it's ok to use rainwater. The problem is that we don't know whats in it. Unfortunately, pollution is also a possibility.

Just a thought.

Hello,

The silicone mats are new, and purchased on Amazon. Here is what they say about the mats:

• Extra Large & Thick Size】Sized at 78.7" x 15.7"x 1.3mm(Length x Width x Thickness), our silicone mat is up to 30% THICKER than the regular silicone craft mats(1mm), stronger and more durable. The kitchen counter mats lay flat without any wrinkle, available to cut the mat to different sizes and shapes according to your need.
  • 【Premium Material】These large silicone mats are made of 100% pure food-grade silicone, BPA-free, no chemical odors & non-toxic, friendly to kids or baby. The thickened design makes it have good flexibility, not easy to deform and tear up.
  • 【Non-stick, Non-slip 】The silicone baking mat is non-stick surface and great for kneading. Adopting water-proof anti-slip technology, the smooth side with the great friction can grip countertop well, not easy to slide, keeping it stable on the countertop.
  • 【A perfect countertop protector 】The counter protector protect the kitchen countertops and other surfaces against scratches, spills, grease, heat, etc. Heat resistant between -40°F and 446°F, making it safe for placing under the air fryer, microwave, induction stove, toaster oven, coffee maker, etc.
  • 【Widely Application】Our silicone counter mats have widely application, such as home, kitchen, office, classroom or other occasion. They can be used for food preparation like pastry, bread, pie, pizza, surface protector, baby's placemat, kids’ activities. Perfect for DIY craft projects like making art crafts and casting molds to make personalized jewelry, paper crafting, kid painting, christmas ornament, home decoration etc.

Here is a picture of what the soap looks like

Another question is, where do you get your micas? Not all micas are cp stable also your CBD oil and olive oil are both green that sometimes affect colors. Are you saying you used orange, purple and brown micas when you say they all turned purple?
We get our mica from nuture soap. The purple on the outside edge has been happening with the orange and the brown colored soap. The purple hides a little more in the brown, but it is very obvious with the lighter color orange soap

Are you using rain water?

You know that smell after it rains? The smell of green growing things. I've always associated it with life and I really love that smell. It's called geosimin. It's a chemical that's created by bacteria in the soil after it rains. I bought some from a fragrance oil maker (can't remember her name atm). I did NOT expect it to be so strong. But it was the color that got me more than the scent. It turned my soap purple. And not like a good purple either. It was really weird. I decided to never use it again.

But I had a thought, it might be the rain water if you used it. Some people think it's ok to use rainwater. The problem is that we don't know whats in it. Unfortunately, pollution is also a possibility.

Just a thought.
we are using distilled water that is purchased from a reputable company

As @DeeAnna says, "You'll need to provide your recipe, all ingredients all in weights. Don't leave out any ingredients, however minor, please."

Also, tell us more about those silicone liners. How long have you been using them? What color are they? Where did you pick them up?

Also, also, what do the soaps look like after about a week? Is the discoloration remaining on the outside of the soap or is the whole soap starting to color?
Hello, the silicone liners are clear and purchased on amazon. Here is what the description is:

• Extra Large & Thick Size】Sized at 78.7" x 15.7"x 1.3mm(Length x Width x Thickness), our silicone mat is up to 30% THICKER than the regular silicone craft mats(1mm), stronger and more durable. The kitchen counter mats lay flat without any wrinkle, available to cut the mat to different sizes and shapes according to your need.
  • 【Premium Material】These large silicone mats are made of 100% pure food-grade silicone, BPA-free, no chemical odors & non-toxic, friendly to kids or baby. The thickened design makes it have good flexibility, not easy to deform and tear up.
  • 【Non-stick, Non-slip 】The silicone baking mat is non-stick surface and great for kneading. Adopting water-proof anti-slip technology, the smooth side with the great friction can grip countertop well, not easy to slide, keeping it stable on the countertop.
  • 【A perfect countertop protector 】The counter protector protect the kitchen countertops and other surfaces against scratches, spills, grease, heat, etc. Heat resistant between -40°F and 446°F, making it safe for placing under the air fryer, microwave, induction stove, toaster oven, coffee maker, etc.
  • 【Widely Application】Our silicone counter mats have widely application, such as home, kitchen, office, classroom or other occasion. They can be used for food preparation like pastry, bread, pie, pizza, surface protector, baby's placemat, kids’ activities. Perfect for DIY craft projects like making art crafts and casting molds to make personalized jewelry, paper crafting, kid painting, christmas ornament, home decoration etc.

We have only used them 1-2 times. The discoloration doesn't continue while curing, if anything it gets a little more faint, but still obviously there. It is only effecting the outside of the soap

One thing we noticed is that the first batch that was poured has less purple than the last one (the third) the images attached at the first batch (load picture) and the third batch (picture of bar of soap). You can see a drastic difference

Attachments

• 20215c05-ec76-4cd2-8bba-210c9da5b650.JPG
    20215c05-ec76-4cd2-8bba-210c9da5b650.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8868.jpeg
    IMG_8868.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8869.jpeg
    IMG_8869.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Hello,

I'm make orange, coffee, and lavender cold processed soap. We are adding mica to the color. In previous batches, I've been able to get the desired color of the coffee soap, but I'm also getting about 50% of the batches coming out purple. The orange soap recipe has been producing a consistent orange color we desire. However, between yesterday and today, we made 12 batches and all of them turned purple. It's the same color purple as the coffee soap.

We are using PVC tube molds with silicone liners. Recipe is a combination of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, almond oil, shea butter, essential oil, cocoa butter, cbd oil
@imguwmybeawr , You indicated you are using an essential oil. Is it possible that the essential oil is causing this?
I used a Crafter's Choice Redwood fragrance that turned my brown soap purple on the outside and around the edges. The inside stayed the intended brown color.
I also used a Just Scent Merlot that turned my purple soap into a reddish brown all the way through.
Because the discoloration on your soap only seems to be on the sides and top edges (what about the bottom?) it does seem to be the interaction between the soap and the mold and heat? Maybe your mats are so thick that they have caused the soap to get really hot and cause the color change? Is there something different in the environment? Like you've had the furnace/ heater on more when soaping these past couple batches?
I'm a newbie and don't know anything about chemistry- and just learning about soaping- so I'm just saying what comes to my mind. Your soap looks like a muffin I might bake, my muffins (on the rare occasion I might bake ) always seem to be darker where the batter touches the muffin tin.

Back