Show ~n~ Tell Challenge - Soap Inspired by a Song From The Year You Were Born

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thefarmerdaughter

I reread my comment to you and realized it could have been mistaken as a rude comment. I based my reply on your comment.
Here's mine, Bob Seger -Like a Rock (1986) I kinda cheated , I just used scraps from a loaf I was already making.

I hope you didn't think I was saying you were cheating. I meant it as a joke and I hope I didn’t upset you.

Everyone - Thanks for the kind words about the sugar scrub soap. I had intended to make a salt batch based on the song “White Silver Sands” but then Genny posted how she did sugar scrub soap. A little light bulb went off in my head and I thought “I’ve got Wild Mountain Honey FO, sugar and a bee mold…oh yeah.” I decided to try her way of doing the scrubs but they were too soft to keep the shape. (Later, I realized this was her intended diabolical plan all along since she knows I can’t resist attempting sugar scrub soaps whenever someone mentions them.)

Rock&Royalty - I don’t know if you saw this but here’s a link to a long discussion about sugar soap. http://soapmakingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20122&p=189369

I wish I had time to participate in this! Although, 1981....not sure how I would put a mullet on a bar of soap.

This made me laugh out loud. I told my sister about your comment and she laughed, too. (We used to joke about mullets.) After she stopped laughing, she said “She could have done a fish. A mullet is also a fish.

AngelMomma – I saw your soap and said “Oh wow!” Beautiful swirl and an awesome job! :thumbup:

lizflowers42 - That was a great idea to use some of the lyrics. I’ll go along with your 7 Seas count. :wink: I haven’t used parsley to color soap in a long time. I’d forgotten what a pretty color it can be and it’s a great swirl, too.

I have to say I’ve been so impressed with everyone’s creativity and enthusiasm for this pic swap. Everyone has done a fantastic job of creating and implementing a visual representation of a song.

No offense to anyone else but I have to say the one that I thought was outstanding was marghewitt’s "Sweet Nothing's". I looked at it and thought of how I fussed over color, design and scent. Seriously, I experimented with different colorants to get the perfect color for the honeycomb. Of course, then because it wouldn’t hold its shape, the color got lightened too much when I added more soap and sugar. I think it took a lot of ingenuity to come up with this representation of “Sweet Nothing's”.

Alli can ever do with PVC is concentric circles through a funnel. How did you do this?!?! They look like flowers!

Sorry for the delayed response. Work has been brutal! I hope I can describe this so it makes sense.

I taped a paper towel roll in the center of my column mold. I poured the blue between the column mold and the paper towel roll. I put the pink color inside a squeeze bottle. Inside the paper towel roll, I poured a little yellow and then squirted a little pink (trying to keep the pink centered inside the yellow). Kept going back and forth with the pink & yellow. Pulled the paper towel roll out. I visually made 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions and used an unused arrow and went from the center out to the o'clock positions. I then visually split the previous o'clock positions in half and started with my arrow from the outside of the mold to the center. Personally, I think I should have stopped when I was finished going from the center to the outside.

Man, kudos to all the beautiful and creative soaps. I'm really in awe with the talent shown by everybody. Can't wait to see March's creative juices.

The making of "Pandora's Box" ~Aerosmith 1974

So this is the song I chose. It's definatley a limited edition, way too time consuming to duplicate again lol! Scented with Orange Ginger.

P3010004.jpg

P3010001.jpg

P3010005.jpg

P3020011.jpg

P3020022.jpg

P3020024.jpg

P3020025.jpg

P3020027.jpg

P3020028.jpg

P3020029.jpg

wow just checked the recently posted soaps. Parsley swirl, infinity.... other stuff, good work all! There's a talented bunch here!

You are very kind to ask. I stole the technique shamelessly from SavonnerieMika on YouTube. I started at light trace pulling out about a cup each for the yellow and black colors (both oxides) then colored the bulk of the batch with TD. I poured the bulk of the now white soap into the loaf. Next, I alternated pours of black and yellow down the center length of the mold from high enough to fully penetrate the white. (Since it was still fairly thin and I poured from about 10" up, the color went down instead of spreading to the sides virtually disappearing below the white surface). For the swirl, think of drawing a lower-case cursive "w" with a curl in the middle. I inserted the hanger down the SIDE of the mold so as not to disturb the black/yellow that is bunched in the middle. The end result is that most of the swirling happens from below the color pulling them down into the white. I kept the swirl to a single pass, removing the hanger from the side opposite where I started. To finish, I drizzled the remaining black, yellow and white soaps gently on the top to avoid any penetration then very lightly swirled them with your standard zig-zag maneuvers from corner to corner I've tried this technique twice with very similar results. I hope you try it, and it works well for you.

May I ask which video it was? She's got a few there! :D

Back