scent fading

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilitr

Reaction score
im having an issue where my scents are fading after about a week, i even try to see if it comes back when wet but to no avail. i have about 3 different ones on my drying rack and they are about and inch apart. after a week they all smell the same. Just a soap smell, no individual scent at all. i get them from Michale's/AC Moore. im thinking thats my issue even though they state they are essential oils. either that or im not putting enough in it. i tried looking up the flashpoint but cant find any info so i try to add them when its around 100*. I do both CP, CPOP and just started HP. thanks in advance

Are you using enough fragrance? Most FOs need to go in at one ounce per one lb of oils. Sometimes the supplier will recommend that you use less if it is especially strong. There are a lot of wonderful suppliers out there that carry FOs for soapers. Do you belong to the Scent Review Board? That is an excellent place to start, as well as some on the recommendation here on this board under the fragrance section. The SRB will give you some good starting points for finding suppliers with quality fragrances that do stick. EOs are often also used at around one ounce per pound, however some of them are really strong...like the mints, and tea tree oil. I would go with 1/2 ounce on some of these. Generally, you get what you pay for in this area. Having said that, I do admit that some of my favorite and longest lasting scents have come from suppliers who have less expensive scents, but most of the ones I use are on the pricey side and they last. The scent should still be discernible a year later even if greatly faded.

Essentials Oils? Well which ones are they (even if high quality, some don't last in soap). Tho I'd not expect to see good ones in craft stores.

Ditto what reallyrita said.

You'll also want to make sure that the oils you are buying from Michaels are formulated to be body-safe (some are and some aren't). Even some that are body safe aren't necessarily formulated to always work well in soap. That's why I like the ScentReviewBoard. I always check over there before I consider buying anything from anywhere. It's a wonderful, free resource. You do have to become a member first, though (membership is free).

Also- scent in soap can be a funny thing at times. I have some scents that fade in and out during cure, but then they come back strong at the end of 4 weeks, and they stay strong.

IrishLass :)

the soap scents from michaels are for m&p, they dont work. If you want eos go to health store or order fos from online, we can rec many fo sites, ok I will bertsheavensscent, peakcandle, naturesgarden, elementsbath & body, gelluminations, bitter creek. Most places offer some kind of 1oz. special, like 10 for 20$, gell had 1oz ers for 50cents!

I will ahve to check out SRB, the ones that fade the most are the coconut, vanilla, melon, cucumber melon, and eucalyptus. i THINK the brand is Lily of the Valley. its in the soap making section of the store with all the MP, kits and additives (scrubs, buds, etc). Im having issues right now with my card so i cant buy anything from places like BB and WSP. the first time i tried i did the 1oz ppo rule and it faded after the first week, tried 1.5 and it faded after 3, i tested them out and the scent never returned. the only ones that stay is the black raspberry and the pink grape fruit. the brand name if Life of the Party if that helps, thanks everyone

oooh yes, those are NOT essential oils but are rather fragrance oils. and sold really for use in Melt & Pour soaps and not likely to hold up in CP soaps.

Back