New Member Saying Hello

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsea J

Reaction score
Hello! Just introducing myself. I have experience making skincare and am just starting to wander into soap making. I started with Irish Lass’ well-spoken of liquid glycerin soap. Problems encountered were that I used an infused olive oil, forgot to use glycerin instead of water, and diluted at 100%. The paste was very dark (presumably from the infused olive oil). I dyed the liquid soap blue and had to thicken with 2% Xanthan gum (soft). I’ve never used more than .5% Xanthan gum in a formula!

I’ve learned a lot by perusing the threads, so thank you!

Oh, I also learned the importance of wearing a mask - a small spatter of unsaponified oil splashed above my lip. I did wear long sleeves, gloves and goggles.

That’s my soap-making journey thus far…

So, hello to all!

Great to know there are fellow skincare formulators in this forum! My homogenizer arrived today and I’m SO excited!
I'm nowhere near needing a homogenizer, and have yet to take any formal training. Maybe someday when I retire from my day job. ;) Meanwhile, I love making small batches of stuff to try. @Misschief is another one here who loves to make skincare. I'm sure she will be by to say hello. :)

Hiya!!

A homogenizer??? I'm green with envy! I'd love to know more about it; which one did you get?
I went with a brand from China as they had an upgrade from their entry-level, 1 litre homogenizer, which was recently unboxed by Humblebee&Me on her Patreon channel. She was happy with hers and pointed me to some good reviews. I’d been holding out for the Dynamic, but it has almost tripled in cost in three years in Canada and doesn’t come with a stand (it weighs 1.2kg and I don’t have full use of one of my wrists). Anyways, I set up the Vevor - goes to 22k RPM and my only complaint is that it’s a bit loud, but the operation seems smooth enough. Fortunately, it was inexpensive - if I need to replace it in a year, I’ll feel as though I got my money’s worth… Now to really play with some rheology modifiers!

I went with a brand from China as they had an upgrade from their entry-level, 1 litre homogenizer, which was recently unboxed by Humblebee&Me on her Patreon channel. She was happy with hers and pointed me to some good reviews. I’d been holding out for the Dynamic, but it has almost tripled in cost in three years in Canada and doesn’t come with a stand (it weighs 1.2kg and I don’t have full use of one of my wrists). Anyways, I set up the Vevor - goes to 22k RPM and my only complaint is that it’s a bit loud, but the operation seems smooth enough. Fortunately, it was inexpensive - if I need to replace it in a year, I’ll feel as though I got my money’s worth… Now to really play with some rheology modifiers!
I've been wanting one but have been putting it off, mainly because of price, but also because I'm trying to scale back a bit. That said, though, I'm still lusting for one.

Hello! Just introducing myself. I have experience making skincare and am just starting to wander into soap making. I started with Irish Lass’ well-spoken of liquid glycerin soap. Problems encountered were that I used an infused olive oil, forgot to use glycerin instead of water, and diluted at 100%. The paste was very dark (presumably from the infused olive oil). I dyed the liquid soap blue and had to thicken with 2% Xanthan gum (soft). I’ve never used more than .5% Xanthan gum in a formula!

I’ve learned a lot by perusing the threads, so thank you!

Oh, I also learned the importance of wearing a mask - a small spatter of unsaponified oil splashed above my lip. I did wear long sleeves, gloves and goggles.

That’s my soap-making journey thus far…

So, hello to all!
Welcome! Skincare is equally addictive to soaping. I make all the mistakes, you will never be alone there. 😁

Back