!!!!! Made my first batch!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafty86

Reaction score
I am so in love! :D I soaped last night! I can totally tell why you ladies are obsessed!!! I wanna do it again tonight when I get home but first I have a couple questions!
My recipe I used:
70% Olive Oil
20% Coconut Oil
10% Caster Oil

My lye got hot, I warmed my oils, waited for it to cool down some...kinda like a warm babys bottle, mixed them and started my SB...it traced QUICK! Like less than 2 min. I wasn't expecting it to be that fast. I kept my SB on...should I have kinda paused or would it not have mattered? Also, when I got done I wasn't quite sure what to do with the bowl I used...I just put super hot water on it and put it down my dish drainer/disposale thingy...hope I didn't mess up by doing that!!!??? What do you ladies do with yours? I also cleaned my SB the same way....also I got some FO from soapwholesale and it said max use was like 66%!!? Thats alot right? I put in a little bit at like medium trace or so. It all happened SOOOOOO quick! I was like woah that was fun/easy/quick all at the same time!! Like I said though I can NOT wait to do it again! Tonight :wink:

206250_10150161454446932_501586931_7314573_3543379_n.jpg

Hopefully this pic showed up. Any way to get my freezer paper in there better? Haha. Kinda funny looking. I'll make a mold before long...right now it's in a loaf pan! One more question...it got very hot and this morning I woke up and it wasn't hot anymore. Would it be ok for me to unmold it tonight? Or should I wait 48 hours to unmold? I'm still so stoked I did it!!!!

Beautiful job! If the soap is hard enough you can unmold it and cut. There are a lot of good youtube videos and information on how to line molds with freezer paper. You just sort of measure the bottom and sides and cut and fold to fit the shape, then tape the sides over. Not hard at all, and you get faster with practice. You did a great job!! Are you addicted yet? :lol:

Forgot to say I stack all my soaping bowls and stuff together and wait for the soap to harden and then take paper towels and wipe them out really well before I wash them. I'm not sure what raw soap will do to my pipes and septic system with all those oils and fats and such. Wear gloves for the clean up--this stuff will burn you. Keep use posted on your next soap adventure!

Looks great! Good Job. Congrats!

Yeah, lining is a pain. I have a piece of styrofoam, covered with duct tape to avoid crumbs, that fits inside my mold. I wrap it on 3 sides like a gift wrap, and then slide it into the mold. Then I slide the styrofoam out.

For washing, I scrape out as much soap as possible and then wash in the sink.

Yes, 66% is a lot. Most FO's for soap should be added at about 0.5 to 0.7 ounces per pound of oil. That's roughly 14 to 20 grams of FO.

:lol: Totally addicted!!! I want some colors now! And yes I only used .7 oz...and I made 2 lbs! I thought that sounded like alot...this next time I'm going to use some palm oil and almond oil! What kinda colors work good? I've heard people talk about cocoa powder..is this like Hersey cocoa powder? And what color is that going to give me like a deep brown or does the lye make it a weird color? I CAN NOT wait to get off work to make more! And I thought lotion was fun!

Great job!! And I love the way you jammed the freezer paper in there. hehehehe

You'll have some cool texture on the soap!

I use contact paper, or shelf liner, it works awesome, you just cut one piece going the long way, the other piece going the other way and stack on top of eachother, no tape or anything.

I've also used contac paper (vinyl) it worked great--I did oil it up with a little vaseline. There are a lot of natural colorants you can play with. Coco powder is a good one. I use it to make brown swirls. Paprika and tumeric are a couple of other good ones. I infuse those in a little olive oil for a few days and then strain out the spice, using the colored oil to add to soap batter for swirls. You can use the spice too without infusing. Just remember to check and make sure anything you use to color is skin safe. Have fun!!!

So I went home at lunch and cut it. 8) It was hard but still moist if that makes sence. I attached a picture so you can see!! I didn't wanna put it to my tounge...do I HAVE to? Im putting it away for 4 weeks. So I'm not planning on using it any time soon..so do I HAVE to do a zap test? I touched it and everything and it felt ok. Just moist. LOL! Definitly wasn't crumbly.

IMAG0423.jpg

BTW if I had longer than 30 min I would have totally made up a batch real quick. My husband is going to kill me! Til he tries my soap that is :wink:

Nice! Looks very creamy. You can make a zap test in a few days. I do it normally after 24 hours. If it did gel, it should be fine already and shouldn't zap anymore.

YES!! Tonight I'm going to try putting Palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil! And a different fragrance!! I'm so excited! Gym, supper, soap, bed :lol:

crafty86 said:
YES!! Tonight I'm going to try putting Palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil! And a different fragrance!! I'm so excited! Gym, supper, soap, bed :lol:

I too am a newbie (a little over a month). Serious addiction!! Funny, my day is just about the same... work, dinner, gym, soap, bed. I am so tired lately because of this addiction. I do HP so my soap keeps me up an extra hour every night by the time I get home from the gym. :shock:

Almost all my recipes are Palm, coconut, olive and castor. What %'s are you gonna do? I do:
Olive 65%
Palm 15%
Coconut 15%
Castor 5%

Mmm... looks like a vanilla fudge!! Congrats and welcome :D I've only been doing this a few months, but I'm totally into it. My husband kinda rolls his eyes, but he likes the soap.

If you don't like doing zap test with your tongue, you can make strips to test an approximate pH. Just google red cabbage pH test strips. You'll find the instructions. That's what I do. Sure beats the taste of soap. :wink:

Scentapy said:
crafty86 said:

I too am a newbie (a little over a month). Serious addiction!! Funny, my day is just about the same... work, dinner, gym, soap, bed. I am so tired lately because of this addiction. I do HP so my soap keeps me up an extra hour every night by the time I get home from the gym. :shock:

Almost all my recipes are Palm, coconut, olive and castor. What %'s are you gonna do? I do:
Olive 65%
Palm 15%
Coconut 15%
Castor 5%

The first one I did:
70% Olive
20% Coconut
10% Castor

Last night I did:
40% Olive
40% Palm
10% Castor
10% Coconut

The first one I did looks great IMO. It traced VERY quickly though so with the second batch last night...I tried to not blend as much. Kinda did for like 30 sec then just stirred then 30 more added FO blended for about 1 min and got it to like a medium trace and went ahead and filled the mold. It wasn't as pretty maybe because I couldn't make it look like "pudding" haha I dunno...and plus I didn't put it all I left a little over and put some cocoa powder in it and smeared it on top. Doesn't look pretty...but I'm going to cut it at lunch and I'll let you ladies see. It did gel though...and I love the color before gel :? Why does it have to get dark! LOL! Also the first batch I covered with lots of saran wrap and the freezer paper...last night I guess I was a little tired and didn't get all the edges so I got some ash on the edges :roll: No big deal though...just my second batch! :lol: I'm wanting to try again...but I think i'm going to take a break tonight and get back at it tomorrow afternoon! I might try your recipe next!!

Back