First batch just finished!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting calculation, thank you for sharing. I wish everyone would just use a single weight measurement (preferably grams) for everything. I did my own calculations are found that per 100g of water you add ~1.56g of both sea salt and baking soda. But I realize those things are all different densities so your idea might be better. I also assumed one quart of water is equal to 946.35g, not your 907g. I'm probably missing something lol.
Most soapers actually use percentages, because then it doesn't matter whether one uses metric or imperial measurements (as long as you stay with weight, and not volume, lol). It also allows you to put those percentages into the soap calculator, and scale the batch size up and down as desired.

I did ask the soap calculator developers if they would add "% of water" as one of the options for additives. So far that hasn't been added, but hopefully one day it will. Until then, I simply multiple my total weight of water by 1.7% and 1.9% to get the amount salt and bicarb needed for that specific batch size. That works whether you are using grams or ounces. :)

Last edited:
@Ekuzo
I decided to unmold them the other day (almost exactly 48 hours after pouring) and they came out without a problem! I have put them on a cooling rack thing I got at my local walmart. I assume this will promote relatively even airflow for the bars. They look so cool! I'm so proud I was able to make them!

And thank you for your concern about my skin. Luckily, my skin only gets like the picture for a few hours, usually the day after I shower. So it's not too concerning. I've since been using some Dove soap bars and they're more mild.

Thanks for the tip about lye concentration. I will keep that in mind! I think my next recipe will be a lard-based one that was in the other thread (https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soaps-causing-skin-problem-on-hands.93471/post-1012453).

I just realized, regarding the room temperature soaping... how do you do that with oils that aren't liquid at room temperature??

And thank you so much for your help and advice. I don't know why you keep helping me, but it's greatly appreciated!!!

Most soapers actually use percentages, because then it doesn't matter whether one uses metric or imperial measurements (as long as you stay with weight, and not volume, lol). It also allows you to put those percentages into the soap calculator, and scale the batch size up and down as desired.

I did ask the soap calculator developers if they would add "% of water" as one of the options for additives. So far that hasn't been added, but hopefully one day it will. Until then, I simply multiple my total weight of water by 1.7% and 1.9% to get the amount salt and bicarb needed for that specific batch size. That works whether you are using grams or ounces. :)
Percentages are also great! I am more so frustrated with people using volume instead of weight, though. For example, a tablespoon of salt can vary depending on how large the salt crystals are. I will steal your recipe, though, and do it based on the percentages you listed!

Hello all. I made a thread a couple weeks ago (here) and decided to try something out.

Sooo I decided to kinda of ignore all the suggestions and do my own thing. I probably messed something up... but I just wanted to experiment (not so smart for my first time making soap though, eh?).

I calculated all of the amounts on my own in a spreadsheet you can see pictured here (I basically took @Zany_in_CO 's Castile alternative oil percentages and ignored all of the other instructions. I did not make the faux salt water, I just used regular distilled water and lye.):

Congratulations on making your first soap! 👏👏👏👏👏 And that's a nicely sized batch as well.

Ha ha, it's like cooking — hard to resist changing a recipe! Maybe one day maybe you'll try the real ZNSC. Or maybe you'll love the one you've just made so much that you'll stick with the same formula forever!

Once unmolded, you can cut pieces off one of the bars for testing now and in the coming weeks. And hide another bar away for several months to see how a long cure compares to freshly made soap.

I know there are many people who can't use much coconut oil, but apparently I'm not sensitive to it and don't mind higher percentages. Some of my favorite early recipes were the beginner ones on the Lovin Soap website, which have at least 30 percent coconut oil! (the recipes here, in case you're interested). But I live in a hot, humid climate which I'm sure makes a difference. I might want a totally different formula if I lived on a chilly mountaintop somewhere. It's so cool for each of us to be able to make soap that suits our own particular circumstances!

I think I should add to my post in the "Where did learn to soap?" thread that the actual experience of making soap was my best teacher (although I still love looking through soaping books and videos for inspiration).

And thank you so much for your help and advice. I don't know why you keep helping me, but it's greatly appreciated!!!
All these experienced and talented soapmakers are amazing mentors to us beginners. It's like their mission is to make everyone succeed whether our goal is one batch of soap a year or to make a living selling soap. What an amazing and appreciated group of ladies and gentlemen!

All these experienced and talented soapmakers are amazing mentors to us beginners. It's like their mission is to make everyone succeed whether our goal is one batch of soap a year or to make a living selling soap. What an amazing and appreciated group of ladies and gentlemen!
I couldn't agree more! Seems like such an awesome and welcoming community. Everyone sharing their experiences to make you get better results!!!

Also, @AliOop , I went ahead and made that lard-based soap from the other thread. It didn't go as smoothly as my first batch (just me being mindless), but I think it turned out alright! Thanks!

Actually, SM Friend has the option "% of liquids"

@Ekuzo
I decided to unmold them the other day (almost exactly 48 hours after pouring) and they came out without a problem! I have put them on a cooling rack thing I got at my local walmart. I assume this will promote relatively even airflow for the bars. They look so cool! I'm so proud I was able to make them!

And thank you for your concern about my skin. Luckily, my skin only gets like the picture for a few hours, usually the day after I shower. So it's not too concerning. I've since been using some Dove soap bars and they're more mild.

Thanks for the tip about lye concentration. I will keep that in mind! I think my next recipe will be a lard-based one that was in the other thread (https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soaps-causing-skin-problem-on-hands.93471/post-1012453).

I just realized, regarding the room temperature soaping... how do you do that with oils that aren't liquid at room temperature??

Percentages are also great! I am more so frustrated with people using volume instead of weight, though. For example, a tablespoon of salt can vary depending on how large the salt crystals are. I will steal your recipe, though, and do it based on the percentages you listed!

Keep us updated how the soap behaves, once you try it out ‐ this one, the lard one, hopefully you got the results you wanted! Glad your skin is better now ‐ Dove is a good choice for when you wait for your soap to get ready.

I measure all oils (hard and liquid) together in the same bowl and heat them up until fully melted and mixed. Yes, that way you'll need to wait a little longer for the mixture to cool down, but I just don't feel like handling the oils separately and washing one more vessel.

I (and probably the others, for the same reason) help you because I feel like the knowledge I have, even if not that vast, can be of great help to a beginner who walks more or less the same steps I walked not so long ago. After taking so much information from this forum and applying it my own way, I feel like now's the time for me to give in return - and the best part is that by helping you we help everybody who finds your threads and has similar problems. It's like taking notes, but public. In the process, of course, I continue to learn and change my perception all the time. I'm really glad you appreciate it, that makes us even more eager to help!

Back