cost of starting up and a few questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoftTouch

Reaction score
Hey so im totally new but after doing a bit of research i want to do Hot process soap :). im not sure what i would need to start this hobby tool wise as im going to be using a camping stove as i live in a rented room so its a hobby i want to do for fun and hopefully more in the future :), i just wondering what i need to start off with :)

I've only done HP a couple times but I use a crock pot and find it to be very easy to work with. You might be able to find one at a thrift store or yard sale, I couldn't see spending the $$ on a brand new one to use for soap.
You will want a really sturdy silicone spatula, one with a stainless steel handle.

The only expensive equipment is a scale/balance and possibly an electric mixer.

For weighing stuff, the smaller the batches, the greater the precision you need, and you pay for precision. For mixing there are lots of options, including hand tools.

There are workarounds for not having weighing equipment, but they're a great deal of trouble and require other equipment. For instance, you can make saturated solutions of lye, but they're temperature dependent (and note what I read in another thread, that my solubilities all seem slightly lower than literature values) and then you'd need a thermometer and volumetrics for that and the oils. There are also tricks to measure the density of a lye solution. If you find messing around like that part of the fun, OK, but I think as with most hobbies most people will want to do some things the easy way by investing in equipment, especially if it has other uses for you besides that one hobby.

IMHO the absolute best place to by the "equipment" is 2nd hand! Garage sale, thrift store, Mom's and or Grandma's kitchen are all places to find great bargains!

Basic equipment would be:
1. 2 Stainless or heatresistant plastic containers for mixing the soap and lye in. (Do Not use Pyrex to mix lye in as it can shatter!)
2. A spatula.
3. A wisk for hand mixing.
4. An electric stick blender for mixing soap. ( Can be done with wisk, but does take longer.)
5. Molds- can be as simple as a cardboard box lined with freezer paper.

Start off as cheaply as you can, and build up to the nicer equipment as you go. The big advantage to not purchasing the nice stuff right off is that you won't be spending $$ on things you may find out do not fit your needs.

Also: a crockpot. Crockpot HP is probably some of the easiest. I do HP almost exclusively, and I love it :3 If you have a Big Lots near you, they're good for stainless steel bowls and tools as well as large crockpots for a reasonable cost.

You also need to think about your labeling and branding if you're going to sell-I use plain brown kraft paper and Avery labels, as well as bubble wrap, small cello bags for sample soaps, business cards, signage if you want to do a market day one day, etc etc etc. And getting the mailers from the post office website is, if the guy at my PO is to be believed, free, though I haven't gotten any myself yet.

Look into good sites for essential and fragrance oils-there's a ton listed on the forum in various places. I generally use saveonscents.com and brambleberry.com for my soaping needs ^^ brambleberry has small sample packs of colorant that can go a long way, too :) BB also sells the oils and such you need to make the soap, which is nice. I usually order a nice big package from them once every few months.

Best of luck to you!

These are some things I find very important for HP soaps, and also my opinion on the best stuff to get!

1) Crockpot. ~ These can be found at thrift-stores, or you could buy one brand new! But keep this crock-pot seperate from your food crockpot. (If you have one!)

2) Hand held blender~ A steel one! Very important!

3) Silicone spatula~ One is enough, but I have a bunch!

4)Molds~ I prefer silicone molds over the plastic ones. You can also use wooden loaf molds. (Very popular)

5)Stainless steel bowl or heavy duty heat resistant plastic~ This would be for your lye mixture! (Do research on the plastics. ;) )

6) Safety gear! This means gloves and protective eye wear for mixing your lye! Be safe!

7) You oils! Can't make soap without these, right? Look up what is in your area, along with some recipes you would like to try out.

8) Finally, your lye!

I just picked up some stuff today from the thrift store! Some shaped silicone molds, another plastic container for mixing colors and a crinkle cutter - all for $1.50! I didn't even buy a separate crock pot. I just found a lonely crock pot ceramic pot and lid at the thrift store and use the same heating base!!! That was $3 this spring.

I DO think you need an accurate scale. You might already have one in your kitchen that is accurate enough. I got mine at Tuesday Morning for $10 and i use it for cooking as well. You can also find stick blenders cheap - again a Tuesday Morning or Big Lots sort of place. I have seen them there for about $15. Find oils on sale - not blended. Costco, Sams, other warehouse stores are good for this. I stroll through the oil isle every time I shop. They don't always advertise sales on oil in the ads - so I usually browse. I have found decent sales this way sometimes. Once you figure out that you like soap making (and it is addictive) then go buy in bulk from the online stores for your oil/fragrance/coloring supplies.

I personally have been having a blast creating my own colors from the herbs/spices/plants that I have around the house for culinary or medicinal use! And - if the color turns out crappy I can use it for cooking or other uses.

To avoid buying things repeatedly, stay away from wood or glass items when you can. Stick to stainless steel (especially your soap pot), silicone, and plastic. Glass can shatter under the heat of mixing lye, so the only glass I use is a measuring cup for my initial lye measure - no moisture ever reaches it that way.

Also, I wouldn't bother with FOs to start. Play with colors (you get can get a lot out of natural spices in your kitchen, mixed with olive oil) and textures and get to know oil properties. Scent is what drives the cost up, at least for me, and I use high quality oils.

P.S. I would suggest no canola. It gets rancid (DOS) sooner than others, and as a beginner I found that very frustrating and upsetting (I would suggest avoiding Grapeseed, Safflower, and Sunflower at the beginning for the same reason.) For cheap, good soap base, you can get a 5lb bucket of lard for around $3-4 at Walmart, and no, it doesn't smell "porky" when you're done!

Is your landlord OK with you using and storing sodium hydroxide? It might cause a problem with their insurance; you might want to check.

i had a word with him about making soap and explained i would be working with lye under a controlled and safe environment and he is totally alright about it which means its a green light to go, i am starting to make a list of what i need and want to make soap :), all the comments have helped me so much already i wish i could thank everyone your all so kind :).

I use a hot plate , ( $10.00) at walmart. I also got most of my soap tools at the thrift store, pots, molds, crock pot and spatulas, spoons and bowls etc. Molds can be boxes or drawers or yogurt containers. I have a Salton stick blender form wal mart ( $10.00) it is the best sb I have used lots of power and no bubbles. I hope you have a lot of fun..

Latest posts

Back