Anyone have molds from mrdoright123 on ebay?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you use the cutter too Kitn?
I did MP in my molds which came in the mail really quick! I did a log and when I took it apart I cut it up and it looks like pooh. I have the one that has the cutter at the end, but its not a nice slide and slice like I thought it would be. I can only cut one bar, then remove it (not easily because its between the log and a piece of plastic) then try and slide it along.. so confused.

Anyways, I re-melted that log and its sitting on my counter hardening up right now so I'm going to try again tonight.

I have the tray mold too and I"m really excited to try it out but I'm afraid of taking the bars out..lol I think they'll stick. Well, we'll see!

I have 2 of those molds. I didn't line it or use mineral oil the first time I used it. My soap stuck so badly I completely ruined my soap getting it out. So I have lined them ever since. I don't know if maybe it gets kinda seasoned or something after you use them several times?? I'm afraid to try it unlined again. I found some silicone baking sheets in the dollar bins at Target, I cut them to fit my mold and just lay it in. Works perfect, although it rounds out the bottom corners. If you find out a way to get them not to stick, I would love to know.:)

Edited to add: Don't put them in the oven and forget to turn the oven off!! They melt! Ask me how I know:-(

Okay so I used the mac tac stuff in mine last night and the soap came out perfectly today! :D Yay! For some reason my soap doesn't stick to the end pieces (they're the same material as the sides.... weird), so I just laid a sheet of mac tac down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side, and creased it in the corners with a pair of scissors. My bars came out so nice with perfect edges!

The mac tac can be reused a couple of times, so I think I'm going to stick with this way of lining it. I can buy a huge roll of the stuff for $5 which will probably last me a month or so.

So, all in all, I give these molds 9/10. :) I love the sturdyness of them, and the edges on mine are all cut perfectly (no leaking). This is the best system I've used so far for nice even clean cut bars.

As for the cutter - I got a multi slot one. My log fits right into it and there's 13 (?) slots so I don't need to keep moving the log up to cut each bar one at a time. I can just go through and cut them all. The slots are lined up perfectly and my bars came out great!

Someone said theirs melted in the oven? I asked the seller and he said it was okay to do CPOP in them. I actually put mine in the oven for 10 minutes right after pouring (I am a little obsessive about forcing gel, LOL) and it didn't melt. I actually had the oven ON the entire 10 minutes too. No melting!

Good for you Ashley . I have been using the same mactac for months now, I just wipe it off after each use and tuck it back in the mold, ready to go.

KSL said:
I did MP in my molds which came in the mail really quick! I did a log and when I took it apart I cut it up and it looks like pooh. I have the one that has the cutter at the end, but its not a nice slide and slice like I thought it would be. I can only cut one bar, then remove it (not easily because its between the log and a piece of plastic) then try and slide it along.. so confused.

I do use the cutter KSL , I think we have different cutters though. Mine is seperate from the log molds. Can you remove the end of the mold that you cut on so you can pull the soap log through ? Something doesn't sound quite right to me , I am confused too. Could you take a picture of the cutter part or post a link , I will try to figure it out. My set did not come with any instructions etc, I had to email the seller for advice, that was the only fault I could find with the molds.
Kitn

I feel like I'm coming out of a cave here, but can someone tell me what mactac is and where I can get it?
My hubby made my breakaway log molds. The company that he bought the material from swore that it was "non stick", "nothing will stick to this stuff". Well, soap does!!

I've been using freezer paper and it's a pain. Sounds like this mactac might be easier.

Thanks!

x

KSL said:

Anyways, I re-melted that log and its sitting on my counter hardening up right now so I'm going to try again tonight.

I have the tray mold too and I"m really excited to try it out but I'm afraid of taking the bars out..lol I think they'll stick. Well, we'll see!

i could be mistaken, but i thought i read somewhere in the website that he didn't reccommend the log mold for m/p. I COULD BE WRONG!

i would try a little wax paper-at least on the bottom, maybe. i don't really know much about m/p. sorry!

x

Soap-Goddess said:
I feel like I'm coming out of a cave here, but can someone tell me what mactac is and where I can get it?
My hubby made my breakaway log molds. The company that he bought the material from swore that it was "non stick", "nothing will stick to this stuff". Well, soap does!!

I've been using freezer paper and it's a pain. Sounds like this mactac might be easier.

Thanks!

i believe they are talking about the contact shelf paper-the kind that you peel the backing off and it sticks to the bottom of the drawers.

NO YELLING IF I"M WRONG! :D

AshleyR said:
Okay so I used the mac tac stuff in mine last night and the soap came out perfectly today! :D Yay! For some reason my soap doesn't stick to the end pieces (they're the same material as the sides.... weird), so I just laid a sheet of mac tac down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side, and creased it in the corners with a pair of scissors. My bars came out so nice with perfect edges!

The mac tac can be reused a couple of times, so I think I'm going to stick with this way of lining it. I can buy a huge roll of the stuff for $5 which will probably last me a month or so.

So, all in all, I give these molds 9/10. :) I love the sturdyness of them, and the edges on mine are all cut perfectly (no leaking). This is the best system I've used so far for nice even clean cut bars.

As for the cutter - I got a multi slot one. My log fits right into it and there's 13 (?) slots so I don't need to keep moving the log up to cut each bar one at a time. I can just go through and cut them all. The slots are lined up perfectly and my bars came out great!

Someone said theirs melted in the oven? I asked the seller and he said it was okay to do CPOP in them. I actually put mine in the oven at 250 for 10 minutes right after pouring (I am a little obsessive about forcing gel, LOL) and it didn't melt. I actually had the oven ON the entire 10 minutes too. No melting!

Man, reading all these stories from you guys, I'm pretty much convinced that when I buy more molds, I'm just gonna spend the extra money and get the silicone lined ones. I totally wouldn't have patience for sticking and the rest of this mess. Ugh. I just line my hubby-made mold with freezer paper right now (which I don't even mind so much, really). Glad it finally worked with the MACTAC, Ashley.

LJA said:
Man, reading all these stories from you guys, I'm pretty much convinced that when I buy more molds, I'm just gonna spend the extra money and get the silicone lined ones. I totally wouldn't have patience for sticking and the rest of this mess.

I feel the same way! I saved a few bucks by getting the "silicone-like" liners but I'm not happy with that purchase so I will be looking for something better once I can afford it. Silicone sounds like the way to go.

zeo

precisely - why buy a "linerless" mold that you then have to line? save yourself some $$ and just get or make a wooden one then!

silicone rocks.

carebear said:
precisely - why buy a "linerless" mold that you then have to line? save yourself some $$ and just get or make a wooden one then!

silicone rocks.
Yeah, that's how I feel! I'm bummed that I still need to line these ebay molds but lining them the way I am is really fast and easy so I'm not too upset. I think the ONLY way to trust that a liner is seriously stick-proof is to get silicone molds. With everyone using different recipes, it seems some of these other "non stick" molds work for some and not for others. If I had the money (and there was someone in Canada that sold them) I would be buying 100% one piece silicone lined molds!

x

another thing you can do and this can be used over and over. i pm'd you earlier about this.

in any large crafts store they have 18" x 10" large thin flexible sheets of plastic film that is used to make stencils and quilt pattern templates.

cut a strip to cover the bottom and each side of your mold separately. hold it in place with a dab of petroleum jelly.

as soon as your soap hardens it will come right out of the mold. just peel it off your soap.

LJA said:
carebear said:

silicone rocks.

I mean the ones that are wood, lined with a thick silicone. Check it out here: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=82773
(and by the way, how sickening are her swirls?!)

:shock: holy cow! killer swirls! i've seen her aroun a few forums-nice gal

never seen a mold like that before! theres got to be liner like that available that we can retro-fit our molds with-at least the bottoms!

this requires some in-depth research. will report back on any findings!

I know Barbara. She and I are on another forum together (Monet...this is the one I told you about). LJA, PM me if you want the info. She's posted tutorials for her swirling technique!

zeo

x

:D check this out! found this on my 1st "google"

http://www.ipotec.com/

i think this is the right stuff. you want "closed-cell" foam. now we need to find a retailer that doesn't require us to buy a gazillion sq. feet!

we need to form an info posse! LOL!

LJA said:
carebear said:

silicone rocks.

I mean the ones that are wood, lined with a thick silicone. Check it out here: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=82773
That is a silver moon mold. They seem to be out of business, but the Uplands are very close (actually they were out there long before silver moon). The silicone liner is a separate piece that lifts out of the wood which is really just a box into which you slip the liner. Besides keeping the sides of the silicone part from bulging when it's full, the box provides insulation.

I have 2 silver moon log molds, but for slabs I only use molds with dividers.

There are many discussions out there about creating a silicone lining in a box. Teh difficulties are many, but some have had some success. Even if you make a great one, if it's permanently attached to the wood then you need to be able to disassemble it to get the soap out - you cannot just turn it over and have the soap drop out.

carebear said:
LJA said:
carebear said:

silicone rocks.

That is a silver moon mold. They seem to be out of business, but the Uplands are very close (actually they were out there long before silver moon). The silicone liner is a separate piece that lifts out of the wood which is really just a box into which you slip the liner. Besides keeping the sides of the silicone part from bulging when it's full, the box provides insulation.

I have 2 silver moon log molds, but for slabs I only use molds with dividers.

There are many discussions out there about creating a silicone lining in a box. Teh difficulties are many, but some have had some success. Even if you make a great one, if it's permanently attached to the wood then you need to be able to disassemble it to get the soap out - you cannot just turn it over and have the soap drop out.

Well here's something interesting. I just googled them and got this link: http://neasoapworks.com/?p=91 which links to Silvermoon. Only...uh....when I clicked it, it takes you to an "adult" site. LOL!

Back