Considering a new loaf mold - opinions please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same recipe removes from other molds without a problem? I’m wondering how the mold itself is the issue. I use the Essential Depot red molds which are very thick - sometimes the soap gets sort of suctioned in but once I create an air gap I can get it out. If it’s too soft, I might wait another day or so, but not as long as you are describing.
Yes, it's mostly the loaf molds, though I do have some small problems occasionally with others.

Just to clarify @MelissaG, you are saying the mold doesn’t come out of the silicone liner, correct? You are not having an issue getting the silicone liner out of the wooden mold, right? (And I am easily confused and need to clarify.)

I typically CPOP my soap, and the loaf is hard enough to come out of the mold 12 hours later, sometimes less. If I had to wait several days to remove the soap from a liner, I would call it a soaping failure and reformulate the recipe. I have no self-discipline to wait on cutting those bars to reveal the design! 🤣🤣🤣

The silicone liners in loaf molds sometimes cause problems with the overall finish on the sides of the bars, the absolute worst of which is silicone rash. 🤬 And it can be difficult to break the seal between the silicone and the soap. To avoid problems with the silicone, I now use freezer paper (plastic side facing soap) to line a silicone mold, or cut a Mylar liner to fit. I know, it makes no sense to line a silicone loaf or slab mold because it’s supposed to release, but now I don’t have problems with silicone rash or getting the soap released. 😊

For loaf molds made of wood, I started tossing worn out or temperamental silicone liners and treating the wood with mineral oil to make it water resistant. Mineral oil won’t turn rancid or interact with the lye. Molds are then ready for use with Freezer Paper (FP) and/or Mylar liners.

Freezer paper pros:
- Disposable, so no washing liners or molds afterwards
- No silicone rash from CPOP temperature errors
- Easy to source at the local stores
- Versatility in fitting molds of various dimensions

Freezer paper cons:
- Disposable, creating waste with plastic in it
- Expense of replacing freezer paper supply
- Must be cut to size and fitted to molds for every batch of soap
- Potential to sometimes absorb moisture in the mold, creating gentle ripples on the sides and bottom surface of the loaf

I already liked using Mylar sheets, cut to size, to line loaf and slab molds. I bought 10 sheets of clear 12 x 12, 10 mil Mylar from Amazon for $8.99. My latest Custom Craft TS mold came with its own Mylar sheets to line it.

Mylar liner pros:
- Reusable
- Doesn’t warp or wrinkle
- Heat resistant, so good for CPOP with no risk of silicone rash 🥳
- Transparent, so used with a transparent mold you can see the design as you build it
- Liners are cut and fit only once for multiple uses in a specific mold (label them)
- Can use leftover Mylar scraps for making stencils

Mylar liner cons:
- Need to wash liners after every use
- May still need to use FP or silicone liner in addition to the Mylar in a wood mold that isn’t water resistant

Hope this gives you some ideas for alternatives to keep using the molds you already have.
I use wooden molds with silicon liners and unmold after 12-24 hours with minimal problems. I cannot imagine having to wait three weeks to unmold however. Every once in a while, a corner “sticks” so I simply “mush it back on” and then smooth it out. Works well. I love my silicon liners and do not miss using freezer paper to line my molds. I liked how it worked but hated the paper waste it caused. I will stick with my silicon-lined molds.

I can get 4 or 5 batches out of one freezer paper lining, I just wipe it down with paper towel, no trouble putting it back in the mould as it just folds up again and slots in the way it came out.
@Relle I will have to try this!

When I used baking parchment paper, moisture caused small buckles/waves. The perfectly fitted size didn’t change, but the paper had ripples. Sometime freezer paper gets that, too. The waves bug me way more than the should because I’m over the top obsessive about making sure everything fits perfectly. I also straighten crooked pictures on the walls of other people’s houses or offices when I visit. OCD. 😜

You could create a box frame to help with that. YouTube videos show that being made with wood pieces, with cheap Lego knockoffs, and foam board. 😊
I get a box with frozen food every 6 months or so, it is just a cardboard box with pieces of 1/2” styrofoam on each side, top and bottom. I have repurposed it to gel soap. I generally use a heating pad for 2-3 hours, turn it off and leave it alone overnight. My loaves always unmold cleanly after 18-24 hours. I do add salt to each batch and use about 75% hard oils.
Someone mentioned using Mylar, I use this on the bottom of my loaf molds, and it really does help release the soap. https://a.co/d/iDTZHCf.

So, you don't CPOP because you don't want fragrance to stick in your oven. Have you tried other methods of forcing gel?

(Sorry if this was touched on-- I may have missed a post)
I use this. Hold it together with binder clips. I like that I have been able to cut it for 2/4/6/8 molds - acts as a little oven.

Attachments

• IMG_2637.png
    IMG_2637.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Someone mentioned using Mylar, I use this on the bottom of my loaf molds, and it really does help release the soap. https://a.co/d/iDTZHCf.
Yes! @Tammyfarms I also use Mylar on just the bottom of silicone molds, so creative minds must think alike. 😊 Putting Mylar on the bottom of the mold, means we only have to break the airlock from the sides of the silicone and then the soap slides right out. Much easier than lining the whole mold! Until I found the clear Mylar, I also used the Dritz sheets, but they were much more expensive than the clear sheets I recently found on Amazon.

I use silicone lined wooden molds from Silvermoon that I bought in 2010. I’m able to slide the loaves right out at about 24 hours, and the sides and bottom are slick as glass. Unfortunately, they’re not in business anymore 😞 If I had to go back to lining with freezer paper, I might not make soap anymore! JK, but I certainly would t enjoy it as much. Side note: I also used to clean my freezer paper after use in order to reuse it.

I've used the thin cutting mats from the Dollar Store and cut them to size. Same with oven liner sheets and dehydrator liner sheets. All work well; some leave a slight texture on the sides of the soap. Mylar sounds like a great solution for that - I'm going to try it, as well.

Yes! @Tammyfarms I also use Mylar on just the bottom of silicone molds, so creative minds must think alike. 😊 Putting Mylar on the bottom of the mold, means we only have to break the airlock from the sides of the silicone and then the soap slides right out. Much easier than lining the whole mold! Until I found the clear Mylar, I also used the Dritz sheets, but they were much more expensive than the clear sheets I recently found on Amazon.
Interesting idea-will have to check it out,

Back