Any suggestions for a soap noob?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Bone

Reaction score
I just ordered some new soaping supplies from Bramble Berry. Cocoa butter, shea butter, and the pigment sampler pack. I have never worked with those oils before nor have I ever used pigment. I am very excited! I haven't made soap in about 2 months and I can't wait to put on my goggles and get started!

My favorite recipe is pretty simple consisting of OO, CO, PKO, and Castor oil. I was hoping to use the same ingredients and with the addition of the cocoa and shea butters. Any suggestions or tips would be very much appreciated.

My best suggestion is to add those specialty oils or butters at 5-10% of your recipe. I don't know about their pigment sampler, if it's powder it's best to mix the powder with a little veg glycerin or other oil, mix very well before adding to your regular batch or you may get clumps.

pk and co have the same properties, so watch how much you use of those, they can be drying, I use 1/2 co, 1/2 pk with oo, po, cocoa or shea and castor, i use 10% of cocoa or shea, and 10% castor, you will love it!
If you want cheaper prices on oils, go to soaperschoice, or butters oils by nature. brambleberry spendy on most stuff.

honor435 said:
pk and co have the same properties, so watch how much you use of those, they can be drying, I use 1/2 co, 1/2 pk with oo, po, cocoa or shea and castor, i use 10% of cocoa or shea, and 10% castor, you will love it!
If you want cheaper prices on oils, go to soaperschoice, or butters oils by nature. brambleberry spendy on most stuff.

You know, I never even thought about the fact that CO and PKO being similar in properties. I will definitaly take your advice and go half and half . Thanks for the tip about soaperschoice and butters oils by nature. I will have to check them out.

Oh ya, you'll love shea. I also do 10% shea and 10% castor, and try to keep CO down to 20% or less. The rest is olive oil and a little palm oil. This has really been good on my dry skin. For some reason, I'm happier if I keep cocoa butter down to 5%, tho. Can't really explain why.

I love shea!!! I use it at about 10%. The soaps I make with it trace faster than my non-shea ones.

Back