A gift

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidstings

Reaction score
Just enjoy and SHARE

a gift.jpg

Interesting recipe, but this would be way too cleansing for my skin. My cleansing number is normally at 12 or below to prevent my skin from flaking severely.

Also, you will have to help me out here by explaining the reference to elephant toothpaste. 🤷‍♀️

Just enjoy and SHARE

Thanks for sharing.

I considered grape seed oil at one point, but it has a short shelf life so I decided against it.

You can search the forum for information on why pH testing is problematic in soap making.

Also, you will have to help me out here by explaining the reference to elephant toothpaste. 🤷‍♀️

I suspect it's a colorful way of referring to potential for a volcano.

I notice the CO is fractionated - that's unusual for soap. Does it have an effect on the hardness of the soap?
I did use FCO last year. Can't say it was much different in terms of hardness compared with my other soaps. Probably due to the copious amount of PO that balanced out. But I remembered the FCO was 3 times the price of my normal CO.

This was my recipe.
20% FCO
38.5% PO
27.5% RBO
11% OP
3% Castor

Interesting recipe, but this would be way too cleansing for my skin. My cleansing number is normally at 12 or below to prevent my skin from flaking severely.

It's very healing. Gold has amazing healing for the skin. I made this coming out of a case of psoriasis that had my forearms looking like lobsters. Even the healed cells that look like scales for a while are back to normal weeks later {I had a few spots that i didn't know were a chroinc condition. My regular ealing soap was taking months to restore them).

I had a thought while making it. Ivory floats because of air incorporated. So i stirred in some air. as it gelled, it foamed over. easily 20 times the volume. As a friend commented, it was a "funny mess"/

Thanks for sharing.

I considered grape seed oil at one point, but it has a short shelf life so I decided against it.

You can search the forum for information on why pH testing is problematic in soap making.

I suspect it's a colorful way of referring to potential for a volcano.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shelf life refers to oils going rancid? That's just smell? Won't the other qualities still be there?

Full Disclosure. I ran short of my plan with a few oils. Grapeseed was the filler on hand that I thought would prevent melt the best.

I don't believe this is a "Soap" issue. I'm pretty sure the gold and silver throw off PH testing. I know that Colloidal silver will turn distilled water a bit alkaline. But I got Turquoise/Aquamarine on the PH strip. No doubt the Gold affects it too/ Absolutely zero zap to what i ended up with.

I notice the CO is fractionated - that's unusual for soap. Does it have an effect on the hardness of the soap?
This is my 6th or 7th batch. I'm not qualified to answer that, but I did chose fractionated, specifically, to increase the hardness. "Durability" wasn't a category i found in descriptions of oil properties, but that's where I'd improve it. Not "melty" at all now.

It disapears fast, especially over hair, but doesn't need to.

If you lower the pH of true soap (made with lye) below 9, it starts to break apart into oily fatty acids and liquid. So if you got anything less than 9 on your testing, it was wrong. The test strips are typically off by several points.

More importantly, testing the PH does not tell you whether there is active lye or not. Even high-pH soaps can still be zap-free and quite gentle on the skin, however, depending on the recipe. Recipes with low cleansing numbers will still get you clean, and will strip less oil from the skin.

My husband gets terrible plaque psoriasis on his arms and back. It is best controlled with a low-carb diet (esp carnivore), but he doesn’t stick to that 100%. The soap that works best for his skin is high in lard, with 20% each of neem oil and coconut oil, and added colloidal oats.

We have tried spraying colloidal silver directly on his skin. We didn’t see anything significant from that, but everyone’s body reacts differently. Glad you found something that works for you, and than you for sharing it. 😊

Last edited:
If you lower the pH of true soap (made with lye) below 9, it starts to break apart into oily fatty acids and liquid. So if you got anything less than 9 on your testing, it was wrong. The test strips are typically off by several points.

More importantly, testing the PH does not tell you whether there is active lye or not. Even high-pH soaps can still be zap-free and quite gentle on the skin, however, depending o. the recipe. Recipes with low cleansing numbers will still get you clean, and strip less oil from the skin.

My husband gets terrible plaque psoriasis on his arms and back. It is best controlled with a low-carb diet (esp carnivore), but he doesn’t stick to that 100%. The soap that works best for his skin is high in lard, with 20% each of neem oil and coconut oil, and added colloidal oats.

We have tried spraying colloidal silver directly on his skin. We didn’t see anything significant from that, but everyone’s body reacts differently. Glad you found something that works for you, and than you for sharing it. 😊
Thank you for the info. My first batch was a melting mess. Thought it was way more thc/cbd than calculated. (Anybody calculate the saponification values for those yet? It's legal in enough places now).

I got a colour the test strips weren't supposed to give. lol

I got some weird characteristics from some scrapings I diluted in distilled water. Settled like sour cream. Breaks up the same when stirred. Stirs to more of a cream. Warms to a yellowish watery liquid with superfat floaters, but then cools back to sour cream. Any clue what might have caused such characteristics?

My Psoriasis has never been bad. Tiny spots I thought were just dry, chemical damaged or something. But I gave my organs a kick in the tender bits last year and learned a few things about myself this year...... GOLD, Frankincense and Myrrh! And silver of course. I made an alcohol based spray to whet the skin better. Also added to a lotion I made. Wasn't the first combination I tried, nor the only ingredients. But when I added those..... Probably more the gold though.

Oh... B vitamins (nutritional yeast), An Epsom salt and ACV bath made worlds of difference for me before this, and lots of vitamin E. Body uses sunlight to turn it into D

My understanding is that Psoriasis is a symptom. Perhaps the silver is needed elsewhere. That was my circumstance anyways.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
I got some weird characteristics from some scrapings I diluted in distilled water. Settled like sour cream. Breaks up the same when stirred. Stirs to more of a cream. Warms to a yellowish watery liquid with superfat floaters, but then cools back to sour cream. Any clue what might have caused such characteristics?
That's pretty typical when trying to dilute a hard bar soap into water. It will always, eventually, clump back together. If you want a true liquid soap, you have to use KOH to make your lye solution, instead of NaOH.

Oh... B vitamins (nutritional yeast), An Epsom salt and ACV bath made worlds of difference for me before this, and lots of vitamin E. Body uses sunlight to turn it into D
Unfortunately, sunlight makes my husband's psoriasis worse, which is actually pretty typical for most sufferers. He's also at high risk for skin cancer due to Parkinson's Disease, so sun exposure is complicated for him. We supplement D for him since he just can't get enough through his skin without flaring. We both have to take methylated B vitamins due to the MTHFR mutation.

He can do Epsom salt baths but cannot tolerate ACV due to the severe burning sensation to the plaques. His are more than white scaly patches - they are the red ones that go deep into the skin. As much as we prefer natural remedies, often he has to resort to the topical meds to clear them up when he's let them progress too far - which he often does, because he tends to ignore pain and symptoms until they just can't be ignored. Great quality in a warrior, not so great when trying to control chronic conditions.

That's pretty typical when trying to dilute a hard bar soap into water. It will always, eventually, clump back together. If you want a true liquid soap, you have to use KOH to make your lye solution, instead of NaOH.

Unfortunately, sunlight makes my husband's psoriasis worse, which is actually pretty typical for most sufferers. He's also at high risk for skin cancer due to Parkinson's Disease, so sun exposure is complicated for him. We supplement D for him since he just can't get enough through his skin without flaring. We both have to take methylated B vitamins due to the MTHFR mutation.

He can do Epsom salt baths but cannot tolerate ACV due to the severe burning sensation to the plaques. His are more than white scaly patches - they are the red ones that go deep into the skin. As much as we prefer natural remedies, often he has to resort to the topical meds to clear them up when he's let them progress too far - which he often does, because he tends to ignore pain and symptoms until they just can't be ignored. Great quality in a warrior, not so great when trying to control chronic conditions.
The last bars I made diluted into a liquid that gelled from the top down after days and stayed clear. This one totally gels within hours and goes back to opaque if heated to clear. I did have THC in all those other batches though.

I tolerated the alcohol burn because the relief was so significant lol. Glycerine to aid whetting?

Dealt with my issues just fine. But I should be asking YOU for tips. But, those 3 ingredients kept coming up when I was doing my research. NEVER together mind you. I dare to say, might help.

I am always interested to hear and learn from other who deal with similar conditions. Not everything will work for everyone, but the joke in our house is that we will try almost anything twice. ;)
Gotta make sure you did it right the first time! lol

If you don't mind me asking, have you tried adjusting the PH of an ACV bath with something the skin uses? Magnesium carbonate, if it even exists (not a chemist, just pointing in a general direction kind of thing). I didn't test the PH when i combined Epsom Salt and ACV, but the burn was less. I've found there's more in AVC than just the acid for skin PH.

As careful as I hope to be, I'm over 50 now. Things are changing. Dammit! Never thought I had any Chronic conditions. Triggers being different,.. Tips and tricks are always good to have in the memory banks

Last edited:
We've tried ACV with baking soda, Epsom salts, and Dead Sea salts and mud. All of those things are fine except the ACV, unfortunately.

Have to agree on things changing as we age. Ugh.

We've tried ACV with baking soda, Epsom salts, and Dead Sea salts and mud. All of those things are fine except the ACV, unfortunately.

Have to agree on things changing as we age. Ugh.
UGH! is right lol

I can hope something I've contributed will help, I certainly wish you all the best. Gone through my own stuff to get stuck on a disability benefit. But I'm lucky. Feel better!

UGH! is right lol

I can hope something I've contributed will help, I certainly wish you all the best. Gone through my own stuff to get stuck on a disability benefit. But I'm lucky. Feel better!
Thank you! Fortunately, other than lots of allergies, I'm in relatively good health; it's my husband who really struggles with health. I do appreciate the chat and sharing of ideas!

Thank you! Fortunately, other than lots of allergies, I'm in relatively good health; it's my husband who really struggles with health. I do appreciate the chat and sharing of ideas!
A lot of new crap popping up.

I live In Ontario Canada. No access to a Dr. (very long story). No choice but to do it myself. I went back to 19th century and earlier remedies in my research. From your list of remedies, you've been down that road.

Just more fun to share :) Never mind the benefits lol

Latest posts

Back