Why do you like making soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fragrances and dyes/colorants are just the tip of the iceberg of things my skin reacts to ~ so it's nice to not have that worry anymore 😄
Same here! I started making soap because I was buying goat milk soap that was unscented and uncolored. I thought $4.50 was too expensive 😂. That was about 7-8 years ago. I have spent SO MUCH MORE making my own but honestly I think my soap is better (for me) than what I was buying. Plus I really enjoy making it, love the creative process and introducing friends to handmade soap. I do use color and some EO/FO. Generally I can’t use the soaps with FO and many with EO so I always have unscented in my shower. I can think of 8 Bars sitting in my shower right now. 😂 I have also expanded to lotions, shampoo (liquid and bars), conditioner, bath bombs deodorant and who knows what’s next.
My favorite recipe is based on @AliOop’s recipe, to whom I am forever thankful to. For anyone wanting a basic limited ingredient recipe, try:
75% lard
20% olive oil
5% castor oil
3% superfat
33% lye concentration
Add 1 TB ppo each of salt and sugar to water before mixing with lye. If you want to be fancy add 1 TB colloidal oats to the oil before adding the lye water. Makes a really lovely soap.
So happy I got into this to save money. 🙄😂 I certainly have spent significantly more than I would have spent buying soap but it’s the soap that works great for me and this hobby keeps me learning and thinking. I definitely save a lot of money on my eye gel and face gel which actually do firm up my 59 year old skin. I would never pay retail for a gel that does what this one does. The ingredients are somewhat expensive but totally worth it to me. I want to experiment with making the gel into a lotion as I haven’t been able to create a consistent gel that I’m happy with. I will post that experiment in the bath and body forum when I start working on it.

Schooner o' new thanks mate, stone the flamin' crows, fair suck of the sav....
Try putting this into Google translate and see what comes out! 😆

(For those that don't know - I just spoke some real Aussie slang).
I knew this was Ozzie slang but I put it in Google translate anyway. The poor thing thinks it’s Spanish lol!!!

Hello 🙋🏻‍♀️
If lye soap is harsh by nature, why do we love making it and even addicted to it!
1/ Does it give you the ability to be artistic and creative?
2/ Do you like the scientific side of it?
3/ Do you like the feeling on your skin and consider it the gentlest cleanser?
4/ Has it helped you treat skin problems?
5/ Do you like the element of surprise and adventure with every new recipe or addition and the never-ending path of experiments?6/ Do you like the idea of handicrafts and the idea of soap that will not pile up forever suits you because you will use it.
7/ Does the idea of everything natural from ingredients to scents excite you to turn it into a useful product?
Why do I make soap? I was actually asking myself that this morning. it started from a need to not spend $25 on a candle. I watched YouTube, figured out the things I needed to make a candle. Made the candle, got good results and handed them out one Christmas as presents. If I could make candles, why couldn’t I make hand lotion or body butter or face and eye serum! Finally, I asked my son, who spends exorbitant amounts of money on Dr. squash soap, if I made him a soap, would he use it? I was off to the races!
YouTube became my constant companion. Watching other makers, seeing what they were doing. I fell in love with the design. The chemistry I’m not interested in at all. But I really enjoy the designing, the colors, the imagination! That’s what’s addicting to me. And unfortunately, I’m not very good at making my own distinct design but I keep trying. 😏

Why do I make soap? I was actually asking myself that this morning. it started from a need to not spend $25 on a candle. I watched YouTube, figured out the things I needed to make a candle. Made the candle, got good results and handed them out one Christmas as presents. If I could make candles, why couldn’t I make hand lotion or body butter or face and eye serum! Finally, I asked my son, who spends exorbitant amounts of money on Dr. squash soap, if I made him a soap, would he use it? I was off to the races!
YouTube became my constant companion. Watching other makers, seeing what they were doing. I fell in love with the design. The chemistry I’m not interested in at all. But I really enjoy the designing, the colors, the imagination! That’s what’s addicting to me. And unfortunately, I’m not very good at making my own distinct design but I keep trying. 😏
I think the artistic side of soap is a strong attraction for soap makers
I still don't know if I'm an artist or not, we'll find out..I'm planning to make a bright green glowing soap of a Minecraft character (Creeper) for my son and his friend who love this game, we'll see what I can come up with.

I think the artistic side of soap is a strong attraction for soap makers
I still don't know if I'm an artist or not, we'll find out..I'm planning to make a bright green glowing soap of a Minecraft character (Creeper) for my son and his friend who love this game, we'll see what I can come up with.
I’d love to see it when you’ve completed it.

I knew this was Ozzie slang but I put it in Google translate anyway. The poor thing thinks it’s Spanish lol!!!
So turns out it's a relative of Cockney rhyming slang from London. There was a period of time where petty criminals were sent to Australia (sometimes for something as simple as stealing a loaf of bread to feed a starving family). Given a lot of these 'criminals' were from the East End of London ( which is where Cockney rhyming slang originates) the slang became part of the Australian colloquial language too. https://www.ruf.rice.edu/~kemmer/Wo...essions have,of cockney on Australian English.

I posted my last reply in Google Translate in English, before I saw your reply, because I found my reply in my language seemed contradictory when I translated it.
@Pastel , where do you live and what is your native language? I'm sorry that this forum is in English only. I speak Spanish (although English is my primary and dominant language in the U.S.) and there are some words, phrases and/ or expressions that have no good direct translation into English. So, if you feel compelled to use ONE word in your native language, you'll probably get away with it ;)

I believe this means: Do you like making soap because it is something you can use up, something that won't pile up and take up space (provided you have more self-control than I do). Things like knick-knacks or artwork just sit on a shelf and takes up space. It never gets used up.
@Pastel, I started to think that what you meant is what @ackosel understood you to be saying, too.

And, I have to say that the fact that soap is consumed (although I agree with others that it is also stacking up.... ) is one of the things that I like about this hobby. I can give it to others, even those I don't know that well, and unlike many other small gifts that might eventually go to the trash bin, a thrift store, etc., soap will probably get used by someone, either the giftee or someone to whom the giftee passes it on to. My younger son travels alot and he likes to bring me a craft or artifact but he also knows that no matter how compact an item, at some point, there is no place to put things. I started saying "only bring me a refrigerator magnet if you see a really special one." But, I have refrigerator magnets to last a lifetime. Now, I can say "an interesting bar of soap!"

Everybody likes something different. I have found in a short amount of time some like all natural, some like goats' milk, some just prefer fragrances, some just like how pretty soaps are.

@Firefly24 , ditto on everyone liking something different!! But, the one I find the most curious is the "goat milk" preference. I am finding that many people respond to and select a soap if it says it has goat milk. But, they don't necessarily look any further to see what other oils it might have. I have been putting goatmilk powder in my soaps, mainly cuz everyone says it's a nice additive. But, I am still working to create a really nice, well balanced bar. If I sold my soap, I'd be a little bothered by the marketing aspect in this industry.

What I truly find sad, are all the Soap makers who use M&P, change FO's and sell soap @ 9.00 a bar. I work really hard to make beautiful, lovely bars of soap. The costs of oil & butters. The creativity & time. All of it, I always hold myself to high standards.

@Firefly24 , when you say you find it sad that soapmakers use M&P, I assume you mean soapmakers who sell their soap and who don't say they used M&P? I started out making M&P because that's what a girlfriend of mine that introduced me to soap making made (she teaches arts & crafts to kids and teens and soapmaking was just one "craft" she teaches. I have only made a few bars of M&P since starting to make CP soap this year. But, when I did, I tried to do something interesting and creative and it took ALOT of time. I think M&P is a different medium and can be very artistic. Some people make their own M&P base and I think that would be totally legitimate to sell, even if the bar were simple.

However, I recently saw the following post on facebook:

"Hey fam and friends! I’ve got some handmade soap available if anyone is interested! They are all natural, made with essential oils and natural colorants. Your options are bergamot and lavender Shea butter soap, cedar and lavender exfoliating soap, and tea tree lavender with charcoal. They are $6.50 a bar! "

These were soaps from single cavity round, flower type molds. They were in pale pink, a fairly white white, and a pale grey. She did not say it, but from the photos and descriptions, I deduced that these must have been M&P and that she used a Shea butter base because I don't know what else she could have meant by a "shea butter soap." Or, what she meant by a "cedar and lavender exfoliating soap." I couldn't see any specs of anything that might be an exfoliant. I deduced that the tea tree lavender with charcoal" was the pale gray soap. But, seriously, I felt offended for all serious soapmakers in the world when I saw the post.

Unless someone on this forum finds her description reasonable, I'll probably remain offended for quite awhile.... (BTW, this was not a friend or family of mine, but a post passed on to me by a family member as they know I make soap.)

where do you live and what is your native language? I'm sorry that this forum is in English only. I speak Spanish (although English is my primary and dominant language in the U.S.) and there are some words, phrases and/ or expressions that have no good direct translation into English. So, if you feel compelled to use ONE word in your native language, you'll probably get away with it ;)
I speak Arabic and it's my native language, about 12 years ago I was in Dallas/Texas for a year, it really helped me, because I had to deal directly and speak it, so I don't claim to be good at it, but it's not unfamiliar to me, I can hear English spoken and understand a lot of it and also reading, I may not be sure if I understand it but I understand it anyway, speaking and writing are hard for me..

@Pastel , where do you live and what is your native language? I'm sorry that this forum is in English only. I speak Spanish (although English is my primary and dominant language in the U.S.) and there are some words, phrases and/ or expressions that have no good direct translation into English. So, if you feel compelled to use ONE word in your native language, you'll probably get away with it ;)

@Pastel, I started to think that what you meant is what @ackosel understood you to be saying, too.

And, I have to say that the fact that soap is consumed (although I agree with others that it is also stacking up.... ) is one of the things that I like about this hobby. I can give it to others, even those I don't know that well, and unlike many other small gifts that might eventually go to the trash bin, a thrift store, etc., soap will probably get used by someone, either the giftee or someone to whom the giftee passes it on to. My younger son travels alot and he likes to bring me a craft or artifact but he also knows that no matter how compact an item, at some point, there is no place to put things. I started saying "only bring me a refrigerator magnet if you see a really special one." But, I have refrigerator magnets to last a lifetime. Now, I can say "an interesting bar of soap!"

@Firefly24 , ditto on everyone liking something different!! But, the one I find the most curious is the "goat milk" preference. I am finding that many people respond to and select a soap if it says it has goat milk. But, they don't necessarily look any further to see what other oils it might have. I have been putting goatmilk powder in my soaps, mainly cuz everyone says it's a nice additive. But, I am still working to create a really nice, well balanced bar. If I sold my soap, I'd be a little bothered by the marketing aspect in this industry.

@Firefly24 , when you say you find it sad that soapmakers use M&P, I assume you mean soapmakers who sell their soap and who don't say they used M&P? I started out making M&P because that's what a girlfriend of mine that introduced me to soap making made (she teaches arts & crafts to kids and teens and soapmaking was just one "craft" she teaches. I have only made a few bars of M&P since starting to make CP soap this year. But, when I did, I tried to do something interesting and creative and it took ALOT of time. I think M&P is a different medium and can be very artistic. Some people make their own M&P base and I think that would be totally legitimate to sell, even if the bar were simple.

"Hey fam and friends! I’ve got some handmade soap available if anyone is interested! They are all natural, made with essential oils and natural colorants. Your options are bergamot and lavender Shea butter soap, cedar and lavender exfoliating soap, and tea tree lavender with charcoal. They are $6.50 a bar! "

These were soaps from single cavity round, flower type molds. They were in pale pink, a fairly white white, and a pale grey. She did not say it, but from the photos and descriptions, I deduced that these must have been M&P and that she used a Shea butter base because I don't know what else she could have meant by a "shea butter soap." Or, what she meant by a "cedar and lavender exfoliating soap." I couldn't see any specs of anything that might be an exfoliant. I deduced that the tea tree lavender with charcoal" was the pale gray soap. But, seriously, I felt offended for all serious soapmakers in the world when I saw the post.

Unless someone on this forum finds her description reasonable, I'll probably remain offended for quite awhile.... (BTW, this was not a friend or family of mine, but a post passed on to me by a family member as they know I make soap.)
Well this happens to us too, I know that many melt and pour soap makers are really artists and this creativity takes a lot of time and effort Their soaps are sold at a reasonable price, but I have also seen those who sell melt and pour soaps without any creativity or additions that are worth the price they are sold for (from $10 per piece to $18) I find them very expensive and not worth it !

So on the goat's milk.....I have had some people ask for goat's milk soap. I don't have a goats milk bar currently but may add later. A customer asked for that as she says that is all she uses. There are many soap makers that make goat milk products exclusively, so I think they should buy from them. We all have our niche. And on the M&P, it has it's uses for sure. However, some just aren't transparent about the fact. I know a lady that makes a ton on M&P but has an awesome line of other products she markets that she does formulate. I think that the M&P for her is just easier for her to add a soap to her line of other goodies.
People are people and people will buy what they want. People will do what they want and people will say what they want. It reminds me of that song by Depeche Mode- People Are People. We are all different.

Hello 🙋🏻‍♀️
If lye soap is harsh by nature, why do we love making it and even addicted to it!
1/ Does it give you the ability to be artistic and creative?
2/ Do you like the scientific side of it?
3/ Do you like the feeling on your skin and consider it the gentlest cleanser?
4/ Has it helped you treat skin problems?
5/ Do you like the element of surprise and adventure with every new recipe or addition and the never-ending path of experiments?6/ Do you like the idea of handicrafts and the idea of soap that will not pile up forever suits you because you will use it.
7/ Does the idea of everything natural from ingredients to scents excite you to turn it into a useful product?
All of the above except #4. I enjoy also making other body products; I love to cook; we do Renaissance festivals and so I make our costumes for that. I also make clothing for me. I have a wonderful vegetable garden and can my produce. I simply love enjoying that there is so much to do in life that we can enjoy! Soap is my #1 but not my only.

So on the goat's milk.....I have had some people ask for goat's milk soap. I don't have a goats milk bar currently but may add later. A customer asked for that as she says that is all she uses. There are many soap makers that make goat milk products exclusively, so I think they should buy from them. We all have our niche. And on the M&P, it has it's uses for sure. However, some just aren't transparent about the fact. I know a lady that makes a ton on M&P but has an awesome line of other products she markets that she does formulate. I think that the M&P for her is just easier for her to add a soap to her line of other goodies.
People are people and people will buy what they want. People will do what they want and people will say what they want. It reminds me of that song by Depeche Mode- People Are People. We are all different.
@Firefly24 I use goatmilk powder. I don't sell my soap, I do it for a hobby. I don't know if those that sell their soap feel like they must use fresh goatmilk to be able to say it's goatmilk soap. But, adding goatmilk powder is super simple (although I do have a question about it that I have been meaning to ask in a separate post.) I have bought two different single cavity molds that are super cute - with goats on them and also say "goatmilk" on them. I use for goatmilk bars (although I also just make soap with goatmilk in regular 1 lb molds, too.) So, if you asked around and soapers that sell their soap think using GMP is fair, you could try that. Especially if you have customers that are asking you for it. It sounds like you work hard to make a beautiful bar of soap- your customers would probably prefer to get a GM bar from you instead of someone else!

And, as to M&P, I find it is the disclosure or lack of disclosure that is important.

@ewhitake , the last time I saw a person selling what I assumed to be M&P soap, it was through a facebook post. They only called their soap "Shea Butter soap."

Below is the description:

I agree that the average consumer may not understand what they are reading. But, I think it's the merchants burden to reasonably disclose. This gives the consumer a chance to educate themselves if they are so inclined. I do make M&P soaps, it's been awhile since I've been making CP this year.

But I do have about 40 lbs of M&P that I intend to use at some point- for embeds or for fun projects with family and friends. (I just unloaded 15 lbs last weekend during a 10 person sister's week. It was alot of fun! I also had my sisters test out some of my CP soap. About 1/3 of the women were really excited about bare they were able to make with the exact colors, design and fragrance they wanted. Since they were flying and had limited luggage space, they left the CP soaps for others, even though the CP had some nice additives- goatmilk, colloidal oatmeal, etc.

@Firefly24 was right. People like what they like!! Since I don't sell my soap, and it's for my own personal journey, I guess it's time for me to take a breath and move on..... Part of soapmaking for me is learning how to mellow out !

@Firefly24 I use goatmilk powder. I don't sell my soap, I do it for a hobby. I don't know if those that sell their soap feel like they must use fresh goatmilk to be able to say it's goatmilk soap. But, adding goatmilk powder is super simple (although I do have a question about it that I have been meaning to ask in a separate post.) I have bought two different single cavity molds that are super cute - with goats on them and also say "goatmilk" on them. I use for goatmilk bars (although I also just make soap with goatmilk in regular 1 lb molds, too.) So, if you asked around and soapers that sell their soap think using GMP is fair, you could try that. Especially if you have customers that are asking you for it. It sounds like you work hard to make a beautiful bar of soap- your customers would probably prefer to get a GM bar from you instead of someone else!

And, as to M&P, I find it is the disclosure or lack of disclosure that is important.
I use a low sweat M&P for embeds. I just don't want to start using M&P as a regular bar of soap. M&P definitely has a purpose. I also know there is a difference between someone soaping as a hobby vs. soaping for a business. I had a request for a pumice soap, and he loved it so much he bought every bar I cut. Oddly enough, I had a goat milk soap request yesterday also. I guess I will be making a few loafs and see what happens.

Back