Why do you like making soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🥸🧐 ??

But not to worry, since @Relle apparently understands this stuff, you are in the clear! But now we need one of y'all to translate it for us non-Aussies. BTW, all of us are jealous bc our slang is nowhere near as cool as yours!!

😄😄 So true!!
Schooner o'new - glass of beer.
Stone the flamin crows - an expression of surprise
Fair suck of the sav - you've got to be kidding.

Now, no googling, I say this often - a silly as a pork chop. What does it mean?

This has been quite entertaining and educational.

I did melt and pour soap for years and got into cold process for a creative outlet, you know, colors and swirls and all that jazz. My family and I were completely unprepared that our skin health noticeably improved by a great degree. Also, my kids thought I was a bada-s and looked like dude from the tv show Breaking Bad, so there was that which was not one of your options. :)

It allows me to control what I want in a product. I know how I want my soap to feel in my hand and on my skin and I created that with my soap. It also helps with stress.
Yes this is an important point for me it was also one of my reasons my treatment plan to control anxiety and stressIt seems that I replaced it with anxiety for soap 😵‍💫
it seems a little better

This has been quite entertaining and educational.

I did melt and pour soap for years and got into cold process for a creative outlet, you know, colors and swirls and all that jazz. My family and I were completely unprepared that our skin health noticeably improved by a great degree. Also, my kids thought I was a bada-s and looked like dude from the tv show Breaking Bad, so there was that which was not one of your options. :)
I also like art and creativity so the soap covered all the points on the list I mentioned and also it can be customized to resemble my personality, I think that's really cool. Have you shared your soap recipe ?
and can I know your preferences for ratios + fats...it sounds like you have dry skin too like me .
📍PS : The mango butter is arriving today and I'm excited to make the lotion bar

I just enjoy creating soap. So many FOs and so many Micas. I have thousands of bars of soap. I won't live long enough to use it all. I have six different bars of soap in the shower at any given time.
I like your passion for making soap 😍

I got frustrated with the lack of transparency in regards to ingredients in soaps and detergents here in the US. Some of the undisclosed ingredients caused allergic reactions for me and years ago even caused all my oldest child's cloth diapers to suddenly repel liquids instead of absorbing! The tipping point for me was back when I was on the fence about whether to invest and start making my own soap. A friend told me about a soap that she loves that has cocoa butter in it.... I looked it up and contacted the company for an ingredients list and guess what? It's literally your typical palm/coconut triple milled soap. I contacted the soap company to ask about it and got a dumbfounded response of, "sodium cocoate isn't cocoa butter?" No, it's coconut oil. Yet, 3 years later the company still proclaims cocoa butter as a star ingredient on their website. By making my own soap, I control the ingredients and percentages to get the characteristics I personally value in a well made bar of soap and all of the natural skin-loving glycerin is retained. If I happen to get creative and make a beautiful soap in the process, yay! I value performance over beauty and so do my testers and customers.

Last edited:
I got frustrated with the lack of transparency in regards to ingredients in soaps and detergents. Some of the undisclosed ingredients caused allergic reactions for me and years ago even caused all my oldest child's cloth diapers to suddenly repel liquids instead of absorbing! The tipping point for me was back when I was on the fence about whether to invest and start making my own soap. A friend told me about a soap that she loves that has cocoa butter in it.... I looked it up and contacted the company for an ingredients list and guess what? It's literally your typical palm/coconut triple milled soap. I contacted the soap company to ask about it and got a dumbfounded response of, "sodium cocoate isn't cocoa butter?" No, it coconut oil. Yet, 3 years later the company still proclaims cocoa butter as a star ingredient on their website. By making my own, I control the ingredients and percentages to get the characteristics I personally value in a well made bar if soap. If I happen to get a creative and make a beautiful soap in the process, yay! I value performance over beauty and so do my testers and customers.
I really understand what you mean, I also like to read the ingredients of my products carefully and I get angry with deception and fraud, I don't mind marketing within the limits of truth and honesty.. One day I found a blush that its manufacturer markets as non-comedogenic and suitable for acne-prone skin and guess what its first ingredients were! Coconut oil and cocoa butter 🤓

Hello 🙋🏻‍♀️
If lye soap is harsh by nature, why do we love making it and even addicted to it!
1/ Does it give you the ability to be artistic and creative?
2/ Do you like the scientific side of it?
3/ Do you like the feeling on your skin and consider it the gentlest cleanser?
4/ Has it helped you treat skin problems?
5/ Do you like the element of surprise and adventure with every new recipe or addition and the never-ending path of experiments?6/ Do you like the idea of handicrafts and the idea of soap that will not pile up forever suits you because you will use it.
7/ Does the idea of everything natural from ingredients to scents excite you to turn it into a useful product?
I was totally in it for skin issues ~ and I learned a LOT about how to actually formulate a gentle cleansing bar ~ because it wasn't exactly what I thought it was supposed to be! 😄
Now I'm busy using up all my not quite perfect soaps and will soon be making more 🥰

I get angry with deception and fraud
I learned at the beginning of all this that dove is technically a detergent. Which to be fair they don't advertise themselves as soap but stores do. My husband loves the dove bars so I'm now determined to make him a soap that he loves just as much if not more. It's the reason/excuse I give him to explain all the soaps and ingredients. Also it's a good challenge and fun experiment.

I learned at the beginning of all this that dove is technically a detergent. Which to be fair they don't advertise themselves as soap but stores do. My husband loves the dove bars so I'm now determined to make him a soap that he loves just as much if not more. It's the reason/excuse I give him to explain all the soaps and ingredients. Also it's a good challenge and fun experiment.
I love the idea of a challenge to make the best bar of soap, I'm sure you will 👍🏻
I do this with my sister when she complimented a soap she bought in front of me, and I decided to outdo it .
Of course I imposed some household customs And I opened an investigation into the incident of smuggling soap bars behind my back, so that this mess doesn't happen again 🙂↔️

I also like art and creativity so the soap covered all the points on the list I mentioned and also it can be customized to resemble my personality, I think that's really cool. Have you shared your soap recipe ?
and can I know your preferences for ratios + fats...it sounds like you have dry skin too like me .
📍PS : The mango butter is arriving today and I'm excited to make the lotion bar
Keep us posted on the lotion bars.

For soap, I use shea butter, palm oil, coconut oil, rice bran oil, avocado oil, and castor oil. Wanted to get it under 6 ingredients but no dice. My superfat is 3%.

Keep us posted on the lotion bars.

For soap, I use shea butter, palm oil, coconut oil, rice bran oil, avocado oil, and castor oil. Wanted to get it under 6 ingredients but no dice. My superfat is 3%.
Sure 👍🏻
Thank you very much, I hope my request was understood as I wanted, it is not a request for a recipe that you did not share and do not want to share, but it was a question if you have ever posted your recipe before..I think I did not fall into the trap this time

Sure 👍🏻
Thank you very much, I hope my request was understood as I wanted, it is not a request for a recipe that you did not share and do not want to share, but it was a question if you have ever posted your recipe before..I think I did not fall into the trap this time
No to worry, many of us here have freely shared our recipes, and are happy to do so. My personal favorite is some variation of the following:

60% lard
20% coconut oil
15% liquid oil of choice (olive, avocado, sweet almond, HO sunflower, HO safflower, HO canola, rice bran)
5% castor oil

40% lye concentration
2% superfat
sorbitol and sodium citrate added at 1% of oil weight

If you don't use animal fats, instead of lard, you could use shea butter, or a mix of shea butter and soy wax or palm oil.

@AliOop
Since I can't look it up, then unless @KiwiMoose DMs me the answer, I will have to wait until you tell me what it is. But with those names, I'm just not sure I really want to know. :oops:😅

I have absolutely NO idea. Some things obviously never make it out of Australia - even though we understand most of their slang here in NZ.

Back