What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That should be Zany's No Slime Bastille - like the castile version, but the olive oil can get as low as 70% and the rest is something else, like coconut bubbly goodness, or basically anything that's not olive oil
Has anyone tried this with HO sunflower oil, since it has the same SAP value? I know that strays even further from the idea of bastille soap. Just curious

I'm so freaking upset right now. I've been working toward a bigfestival in my hometown for months. Now I can't go.i drive a truck for a living, it's broke down, and trying to getit back together before Monday. So, now I'm out fee plus sales plus all the extra stuff I'll have now. This sucks.

Planning to make soap today for the first time in TWO YEARS! (Except for the soap dough last week) I’m so nervous! I just mixed my lye water and realized I forgot to dissolve my sugar in the water first. Is there any way to save it? My recipe needs it for lather?

Planning to make soap today for the first time in TWO YEARS! (Except for the soap dough last week) I’m so nervous! I just mixed my lye water and realized I forgot to dissolve my sugar in the water first. Is there any way to save it? My recipe needs it for lather?
Just take a little extra distilled water and dissolve the sugar in that. Add the sugar-water to the oils as the same time that you add the lye solution. The little bit of extra water should not make much if any difference to the batter. At most, the soap may take a tad longer to firm up in the mold.

Just take a little extra distilled water and dissolve the sugar in that. Add the sugar-water to the oils as the same time that you add the lye solution. The little bit of extra water should not make much if any difference to the batter. At most, the soap may take a tad longer to firm up in the mold.
I’m worried about the workability and ash. I started over, but may need something help when I go to use the first batch. I’d prefer to keep the recipe as close as possible since I know that’s what’s worked before. And I decided to kick the can down the road and start over today. The lye water will keep for a bit if covered, right?
Also, do you cover your lye water while it cools to prevent evaporation?

I’m worried about the workability and ash. I started over, but may need something help when I go to use the first batch. I’d prefer to keep the recipe as close as possible since I know that’s what’s worked before. And I decided to kick the can down the road and start over today. The lye water will keep for a bit if covered, right?
Also, do you cover your lye water while it cools to prevent evaporation?
It's really a very small amount of water needed to dissolve the sugar - only about half the weight of the sugar. So if you are adding 10g of sugar to a 1000g batch, you only need 5g of water to dissolve it. That 5g of extra water in a 1000g batch should not even be noticeable.

EDITED TO ADD: If you are using only a 33% lye concentration, you may be able to dissolve the sugar directly in that. Sugar alone is very soluble. It's the salts that I find much harder to dissolve in general, and especially in premade lye solution. Anyway, if the sugar doesn't dissolve, or only dissolves in part, then strain your lye solution through a strainer when pouring it into your batter.

Regarding the lye solution, yes, I do cover mine while it is cooling. If it is going to be saved for later, it needs to be stored in an airtight container (not just covered), or it will draw water from the air, and also form soda ash, making your solution weaker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back