What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your salt bars are beautiful but I just have to ask if that is pink himalayan salt? It is a very scratchy salt in soap and those crystals on top can lacerate the skin. Sorry, here I go again. It is just a suggestion, fine, x fine and powdered salt make great salt bars. Pink salt nope. I mentioned the powdered salt not because I have used it, but I just tested a bar a great member here sent me to try. It is wonderful!! I normally use table salt mixed with Pacific Sea Salt.
Thank you! It is, I used fine pink Himalayan salt in the bars themselves - a suggestion I saw some others here had liked. I have some other ones I made with plain table salt so I'll definitely compare the two. Powdered salt sounds fantastic! I have some pickling/canning salt to try out as well.

I hadn't heard that about the pink salt, but thanks for the heads up!!! I had purchased a bar that had rock salt on the top for decoration and it did fall off relatively quickly. I may just avoid it in the future. Thanks so much for all the info!! I'm very new to salt bars so I really appreciate you taking the time to offer guidance. :))

Pickling Salt works great, and I am so glad you used fine Himalayan salt. LOL, the bar I tried was not actually the powdered salt, she is sending that one next week so I will be comparing powdered salt and fine sea salt in 2 different salt bars. Yeah, I love salt bars and mine still need cure time. I am soooooo behind on everything

Pickling Salt works great, and I am so glad you used fine Himalayan salt. LOL, the bar I tried was not actually the powdered salt, she is sending that one next week so I will be comparing powdered salt and fine sea salt in 2 different salt bars. Yeah, I love salt bars and mine still need cure time. I am soooooo behind on everything

I hope they'll still be alright!! I like a scrubby bar, so if nothing else, I have scrubby salt soap to use for the next three years and a lot of pink salt for cooking lol
Let me know how the powdered salt works!! I'm using up a salt bar I bought a while ago, and it should hold out until my first salt bars have been curing for at least 3 or 4 weeks. I'm SO impatient about letting my stuff cure before trying it out!! Now that I have a decent stock, it's not as difficult, but these salt bars will not be nearly as cured as they ought to be before I can't control myself anymore XD

Made my first holiday type soap of the season. I dont have any natural light currently so the white looks more beige lol
Jack Frost Pine.jpg

I need to make soap! I haven't made any since July. I'm so far behind the 8 ball again this year. I have one small show left. My mom conned me into dong her church show in a couple weeks.

I got 4 batches of Salt bars done, all solid colors so not too bad. 3 behaved well and one not so well.

Then I had a Koi pond pH crash and had to deal with that.... so no labels for me now

Working on a batch of cream soap

I need to make soap! I haven't made any since July. I'm so far behind the 8 ball again this year. I have one small show left. My mom conned me into dong her church show in a couple weeks.
You and me both. My biggest Holiday Fair comes up next month and my racks are almost empty and so are the crates. I get back home Friday so maybe I can get something made

Last edited:
80605F57-611B-47B6-AD37-2ED69E8CB47C.jpeg E636ACB9-C4A4-4E44-9D4E-2F3F2D71B0A0.jpeg CD8F53FF-5EBB-43D7-AC8A-95428D6C4129.jpeg Did a Charcoal Clay Salt Batch (hot process) and boy did that one hardened fast! Soap was ready to unmold in an hour! Also tried my hands again on a pumpkin spice soap made with freshly made pumpkin purée- first try was a soft mess - too much Pumpkin ! Had some small amount of soap left over and added pumpkin spiced coffee grounds and finely ground pumpkin seeds for a test batch. Excited!

I tried a new recipe today, it might be my favorite so far. It's fast to trace, cooks fast, doesn't set up immediately after hot process, so I have time to color. But is still ready to cut in about 3 hours! And the lather is thick and creamy and lots of it, and it doesn't dry out my skin. Very happy with this soap. It's 40% coconut, 30% olive, 20% palm, and 10% shea. 8% superfat20181008_170722.jpg

I bought a couple of recipes from DIY Bath & Body on Etsy and made a batch of Foaming Bath Butter base and a batch of Tea Tree & Spearmint Foaming Facial Cleanser, a recipe she provides with the base recipe. That was fun! Now, I want to make more but I have to go to work.

I have tried many of the foaming bath butters and still prefer cream soap as my base. <y oldest daughter could not use the facial scrub made from the butter base, she much prefers my salt scrub made with cream soap. Several years ago I decided to try cream soap, but it never went over well as a whipped soap so I tried mixing salt in it and my daughter loves it. So one more time I am going to try to sell scrubs made with this and packaged differently, in stand up pouches.

Last edited:
I tried scrubs with foaming bath butters and they didn't go over well or sell well. So now it's emulsified scrubs and they sell like crazy. Might try some cream soap some day.

I tried scrubs with foaming bath butters and they didn't go over well or sell well. So now it's emulsified scrubs and they sell like crazy. Might try some cream soap some day.
Can't sell the emulsified scrubs either, but my daughter sold them well when she was selling online. Apparently I do not have a scrub clientele

Going to have an adventure this afternoon and soap with a FO that does not have any characteristics listed on the website...I have no idea if it will accelerate or seize on me, or if it discolors. Should be fun!! Gonna stick to a solid color just in case disaster strikes.

I made a batch of black tea fragranced soap. It is supposed to be black and gold, very elegant. I forgot to account for that last time I didn't have any kaolin clay in my mix. This time, using the clay, it turned a concrete gray color...and my pencil lines got ruined because the first layer wouldn't set up before my mix in the pot started to thicken. So now I have a disappointing grey soap with thin gold waves and specks....I wouldn't call it ugly, but definitely not what I was going for.

Things I should be doing:
Making labels for brewery soaps
Packaging and sending out orders
Making 3 custom orders
Making November soap of the month
Making bubble scoops
Getting ready for show on Saturday

What I'm doing instead: trying not to die. (Sorry to whine... this is the sickest I have been in 13 years... and so much stuff I would rather be doing... and my husband, bless him, has been holding the fort with four children in the house, and he is exhausted.) Sigh. Today I start handing out jobs to get some of my stuff done. Kids can pack orders, right? Some stuff obviously won't get done (scoops and soap), but the rest of it I think can be done with supervision from my death bed.

Things I should be doing:
Making labels for brewery soaps
Packaging and sending out orders
Making 3 custom orders
Making November soap of the month
Making bubble scoops
Getting ready for show on Saturday

What I'm doing instead: trying not to die. (Sorry to whine... this is the sickest I have been in 13 years... and so much stuff I would rather be doing... and my husband, bless him, has been holding the fort with four children in the house, and he is exhausted.) Sigh. Today I start handing out jobs to get some of my stuff done. Kids can pack orders, right? Some stuff obviously won't get done (scoops and soap), but the rest of it I think can be done with supervision from my death bed.
I agree that it might be time to delegate jobs. Sure kids can pack orders. You might not feel it but you really will get better. Problem with strep is the not swallowing, of course, and the absolute no energy for anything. Still remember how sick my daughter would get.

I have always said that God should make a rule against mothers getting sick, and I used to tell my doctor I do not have time to be sick. Nobody listened when I came down with meningitis when my kids were 1 and 5.

Back