What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Feelin' Soapy beautiful soap!

Yesterday and the day before I licked 40 bars of soap. Gross, but I learned the zap test. I also prepared an acid and base standard (known concentrations).

IMG_3634.jpeg

It turned out my “90%” pure KOH was actually 94%!

It's been a pretty soapy day. At Mrs. Zing's request, I made a lavender soap. I don't wanna jinx anything but it just may be my first decent top! And I'm lovin' the new hack -- from guess where -- of using one measuring cup. Used @QuasiQuadrant 's scent retention tip for the second time.

Also I had a drib of Abyssinian oil and a drab of kokum kombo butter to use up so am now working on a small batch of lotion bars. Making it with the beeswax I got from my son the beekeeper.
EDIT: Changed Kokum to Kombo

Last edited:
I had a drib of Abyssinian oil and a drab of kokum butter to use up so am now working on a small batch of lotion bars.
I unfailingly forget to take good notes with those "drib-drab" recipes because I just think of them as quicky way to use up leftovers. Occasionally I then use them some time later, think "this is the best ____ ever!" and gnash my teeth when I realize I can't recreate it.:hippo:(Tried to insert a hair-pulling emoji here, didn't work, randomly using a dancing hippo because when am I ever going to have a chance to use that one?)

I made soap today! My former boss likes my Spring Clean (rosemary & lemongrass essential oils) and called me this week -- "Zing, I need me some Spring Clean, I know I gotta wait 6 weeks, I'll take as much as you can make!"

And for the first time, I tried @QuasiQuadrant 's technique of mixing up essential oils in castor oil and clay beforehand.

Everything is warm and toasty under the towel pile. Which I know because I have to, you know, fondle, check every so often just to make sure everything is okay.
Just curious (if it’s not a trade secret) what proportions of rosemary and lemongrass do you use? Sounds nice.

My soapy thing today was mica color testing - 25 micas, four 50 g samples at different concentrations of each color. I measured using % by weight of oils rather than by volume measurement, because a teaspoon (for example) can be so wildly different in terms of what the weight actually is. The samples were .1%, .4%, .7%, and 1% mica to total oil weight. I’m typically so haphazard about adding colors, and I often err on the side of not enough, so I’m trying to be disciplined and set some standards to go by. I’ll send pics when I’m done. Here are my learnings.
1) Neons are clumpy and annoying.
2) Trial by Fire does not mix well and has to be strained with a fine mesh paint strainer. I already knew this, but saw it again today.
3) Some micas are stronger at lower concentrations than other micas. Maybe that’s a duh statement for most of you but I was surprised. I’ll post pics later.
4) I think .7% is strong enough for bright colors. 1% might be overkill for most colors.
I have my second cold this winter and I’m so annoyed. I woke up coughing and left the bedroom so I wouldn’t wake up my husband, but I’ve been up since 2:30. I’m supposed to go see my mom on Wednesday who is 99 but am thinking I might need to cancel. It’s not Covid. Grr.

Last edited:
Just curious (if it’s not a trade secret) what proportions of rosemary and lemongrass do you use? Sounds nice.

My soapy thing today was mica color testing - 25 micas, four 50 g samples at different concentrations of each color. I measured using % by weight of oils rather than by volume measurement, because a teaspoon (for example) can be so wildly different in terms of what the weight actually is. The samples were .1%, .4%, .7%, and 1% mica to total oil weight. I’m typically so haphazard about adding colors, and I often err on the side of not enough, so I’m trying to be disciplined and set some standards to go by. I’ll send pics when I’m done. Here are my learnings.
1) Neons are clumpy and annoying.
2) Trial by Fire does not mix well and has to be strained with a fine mesh paint strainer. I already knew this, but saw it again today.
3) Some micas are stronger at lower concentrations than other micas. Maybe that’s a duh statement for most of you but I was surprised. I’ll post pics later.
4) I think .7% is strong enough for bright colors. 1% might be overkill for most colors.
I have my second cold this winter and I’m so annoyed. I woke up coughing and left the bedroom so I wouldn’t wake up my husband, but I’ve been up since 2:30. I’m supposed to go see my mom on Wednesday who is 99 but am thinking I might need to cancel. It’s not Covid. Grr.
No secrets here, at least soapy-wise. Rosemary 44%, lemongrass 44%, cedarwood 12%. I love it and it's the most requested from friends.

Thanks for all the info on micas. I love Trial by fire, never had a problem. Lately I've been halving the amount of mica I use and haven't noticed any significant difference.
Sorry about your cold, get better soon!

No secrets here, at least soapy-wise. Rosemary 44%, lemongrass 44%, cedarwood 12%. I love it and it's the most requested from friends.

Thanks for all the info on micas. I love Trial by fire, never had a problem. Lately I've been halving the amount of mica I use and haven't noticed any significant difference.
Sorry about your cold, get better soon!
That’s funny, for me Trial by Fire always has specks of what I assume is iron oxide even if I smush it to death in oil with a palette knife. I wonder if it was the batch I got? What do you do to mix it?
I like to put my neon pigment in a plastic bag with some oil and then I massage the bag to break up any clumps. Works every time to give me a smooth pigment.
thank you that’s a good tip!

That’s funny, for me Trial by Fire always has specks of what I assume is iron oxide even if I smush it to death in oil with a palette knife. I wonder if it was the batch I got? What do you do to mix it?

thank you that’s a good tip!

I also use a paper towel and continuously press and massage the bag with the paper towel to ensure it is all mixed up. It’s actually easier for me to tell when all the streaks are gone as I can see specks on the bag if it is still not mixed properly. I never tried the palette knife as I figured it would be difficult for me to make sure there are no streaks. They certainly are more work than using mica, but I actually don’t mind it for the color payoff.

Latest posts

Back