What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any reason why I should not mix pigment into melted oils before adding lye? I am quite sure of the amount to add, based on previous batches and want an exact colour match on 2 different pours.

Is there any reason why I should not mix pigment into melted oils before adding lye? I am quite sure of the amount to add, based on previous batches and want an exact colour match on 2 different pours.
I’ve done it before, when I’m making a batch of all one color. I actually like it because I can SB it all in without having to worry about accelerating trace.

Today I made a batch of soap, premixed some TD, and got things ready to do a pull through in neons tomorrow with a disk I haven’t tried yet. 🌸

image.jpg

Taught my niece to make lye based soap today. Used the basic recipe of oils in a one lb batch from @Zany_in_CO Chose tweak two with hemp oil, blue mica, smidge of silk fiber, and teeny bit of goats milk powder (all put into soap Calc of course.) After she wrapped soap to gel I pulled out an identical batch (i made yesterday) so my niece could unmold, cut, and stamp on same day. She drives 1.75 hrs each way so lesson needs to pack in a lot. It was fun. Discovered that I could not explain the iodine content from soap Calc sheet. Back to the lesson books to figure this out.

Edited to update with pictures of Nieces soap.

Attachments

• A5E9443D-696F-4425-936E-98FF5BD8B219.jpeg
    A5E9443D-696F-4425-936E-98FF5BD8B219.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Taught my niece to make lye based soap today. Used the basic recipe of oils in a one lb batch from @Zany_in_CO Chose tweak two with hemp oil, blue mica, smidge of silk fiber, and teeny bit of goats milk powder (all put into soap Calc of course.) After she wrapped soap to gel I pulled out an identical batch (i made yesterday) so my niece could unmold, cut, and stamp on same day. She drives 1.75 hrs each way so lesson needs to pack in a lot. It was fun. Discovered that I could not explain the iodine content from soap Calc sheet. Back to the lesson books to figure this out.
That's so cool that you are sharing your knowledge! 🤩 As explained in the article referenced above by Mobjack Bay, handcrafted soap makers really don't need to watch the INS number; that is for commercial soapmakers. There are plenty of nice soap recipes, including a high OO recipe that many folks love, that are outside the calc's recommended number.

I'd spend more time explaining the FA profiles, and how they affect the soap.

That's so cool that you are sharing your knowledge! 🤩 As explained in the article referenced above by Mobjack Bay, handcrafted soap makers really don't need to watch the INS number; that is for commercial soapmakers. There are plenty of nice soap recipes, including a high OO recipe that many folks love, that are outside the calc's recommended number.

I'd spend more time explaining the FA profiles, and how they affect the soap.
Thank you @AliOop ! This week am making time to learn more about the FA profiles and how they affect the soap. Have all records from previous batches and am going to compare profiles with notes and results. On the high OO soaps. Made one and it seems to dry my hands badly. Did not use salt water or add salt (very early in my soaping.) Am going to be a lot more purposeful about understanding the chemistry of soap ingredients.

On the high OO soaps. Made one and it seems to dry my hands badly.
Some folks (me, and apparently you included) do not do well with high OO soaps. I can use them once to wash my hands and be fine. But I cannot keep a high-OO soap as a regular hand-washing or showering soap, or I become itchy and dry, as well. Lard is my skin's best friend. :)

On the high OO soaps. Made one and it seems to dry my hands badly.
That can happen if you "drive test" it too early. High Olive Oil soaps require a long cure (3 months - 1 year) before they peak. The exception being, Zany's No Slime Castile that I start using in as little as 2 weeks, although the longer the cure, the better! I make the 85% OO, 10% Coconut Oil, 5% Castor Oil variation. I have dry, sensitive, mature skin and I wash my face with it daily, AM and PM.

I'm trying that now. I guess what do I have to lose at this point? 😁
Hey, my soap was a thick glob at first, probably because of overmixing, and maybe a slight accident...I dropped one of my jars. It was really thick, but then when I got home from work today, it was a nice smooth liquid soap. I used it and it is nice. Like really nice. And I still haven't added meadowfoam to it yet.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I want to get this recipe straight without dropping a jar of hot gooey soap globs all over the place and desperately scooping them back into my jar LOL.

It took a bit of math in the beginning, but it really feels nice on my hands. I like it a lot. I hope you get a nice soap out of it too. I was super surprised that mine turned out ok since I dropped a jar (soapy mess everywhere).

Nice bubbles....really nice bubbles. And even without the extra meadowfoam (yet), my hands feel nice.

I thought it was a total loss, but then my thick white gooey mess was completely pourable today when I got home from work.

@VikingChick and @Catscankim

How did your LS batches turn out? Enquiring minds want to know! :)
Mine is total liquid, probably because I was mad and just started adding water indiscriminately. 😜 it separated overnight, but I shook it up this morning before I left for work and it stayed together. And it lathers a little, so there’s that. It’s soap, lol. I’m chalking it up 100% to user error, even though I’m still thinking through what I did wrong (I have somewhat of an idea but I’m not sure it totally explains the issues I had.) I bought UG2LS and I’m going to spend some time learning more about the process to be sure I fully understand it before I try again. Thanks for asking! ☺️

That can happen if you "drive test" it too early. High Olive Oil soaps require a long cure (3 months - 1 year) before they peak. The exception being, Zany's No Slime Castile that I start using in as little as 2 weeks, although the longer the cure, the better! I make the 85% OO, 10% Coconut Oil, 5% Castor Oil variation. I have dry, sensitive, mature skin and I wash my face with it daily, AM and PM.
Am going to make Zany’s No Slime Castile. My all OO soap was made 4/2/2022. Still very slippery too. Am going to let it sit as long as it needs. The color and smell are lovely. In the meantime am making Zany’s. Thank you for the advice!!

Some folks (me, and apparently you included) do not do well with high OO soaps. I can use them once to wash my hands and be fine. But I cannot keep a high-OO soap as a regular hand-washing or showering soap, or I become itchy and dry, as well. Lard is my skin's best friend. :)
Yes! Lard soaps are much nicer on my skin. It has been a surprise for me. When the all OO soap is one year old in April will try it again.

Today I made a batch of soap, premixed some TD, and got things ready to do a pull through in neons tomorrow with a disk I haven’t tried yet. 🌸

View attachment 70996
Made the pull through with neons today and didn’t end up using the “toilet plunger” (lol @Mobjack Bay) after all. The squeeze bottles with the straws was kind of a pain - I’ll have the see if the results are dramatically better to decide if I do all that again 🌸

Latest posts

Back