What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a night! Started a rebatch of soap scraps at 19h00 when power went on. In slow cooker. By 23h00 when power went of it was still not properly melted. At 1h00, when power went on again, I regrated the semi-solid clumps and started the crockpot again. By 5h00 this morning I gave up, pushed the clumpy pieces of soap into a easter egg box and went to bed.
Clearly I do not know enough about rebatching!
Now the dishes from my failure awaits....
It sounds like the power failures were responsible for the poor results. Hopefully you can remelt again when the power is more dependable.

Haven't done a thing today, or any day, since we adopted this 9-month-old bundle of Bernedoodle energy three days ago! We named him Gus, and he's quite the loverboy to us, but he destroyed poor Lamb Chop in less than an hour!
OMG SO HAPPY FOR YOU! My best bud has a bermiedoodle, our dear "little" Oshi, and he is a total loverboy, too. We've known him since he was so tiny and cuddled on our shoulders and now he is MASSIVE, all legs, and still thinks he is a lap dog snuggling on our shoulders. Thank you for this post!

It's under a blanket right now. I'm hoping the colors will magically morph to something less Halloween orange by the time I look. I used turmeric infused OO at 20% and paprika infused OO at 40% (yes, I made 2 separate half batches to combine), but after whizzing them both with the sb, they looked nearly identical in color! So out came the AC to see if I could at least make a third color and it just got so much worse. Lol. Maybe I'll get lucky and the turmeric will mellow out to yellow. 🤔
I used turmeric once and it faded away to almost nothing after a month or two.

Really? What color did it turn? And how did you use yours (as powder added to your batter or in an infusion added to your oils)? I used mine as an infusion added to the oils. Guess we'll see how it ages.
I'm not KiwiMoose -- although our work is often confused ;) -- but I'll answer. I use turmeric powder and dump it into my batter. I get a nice golden tan. I've got bars going on 24 months that are the same color as the day they were created.

Consider rebatch by Ciaglia method using cold process. Ciaglia is a method of adding up to 30% rebatch soap into a new batch. Older soap can be hand grated or hand chopped into small pieces. Make a new recipe of cold process soap and include up to 30% of your older soap that you were trying to rebatch. Once the new batch oils melted no need for additional power. Try a smaller recipe to see if this works for you. If power goes out before oils & butters melted perhaps leave on heater until power comes back. Have lye ready to pour. This really makes beautiful soap. Full instructions here:
https://lovelygreens.com/how-to-rebatch-soap-the-easy-way-partial-rebatch-soap/

I had the opportunity to speak to an elderly Swiss lady today, that lives in our town - she has been making soap forever for their household.
She swears by gallbladder soap for laundry stains and says that she buys it in Switzerland and then brings it home.
Does anybody know how to make it?
It sounds gross?
I tried to google it, buy can not seem to find a recipe?
I would really like to help her make her own - she does not like technology, so I thought I will try to find a solution for her.

I had the opportunity to speak to an elderly Swiss lady today, that lives in our town - she has been making soap forever for their household.
She swears by gallbladder soap for laundry stains and says that she buys it in Switzerland and then brings it home.
Does anybody know how to make it?
It sounds gross?
I tried to google it, buy can not seem to find a recipe?
I would really like to help her make her own - she does not like technology, so I thought I will try to find a solution for her.
I'd never heard of it, but a quick search found this. Gall Soap Bar Stain Remover from Sonett | Gimme the Good Stuff

What have I done to myself today?!
Decided it is time to test some colours.
Divided my miniature 250gr mold up into like blocks - 16 of them - made one batch and started to add colour in little shot glasses. What a mess! Foolishly I decided to soap colder to slow trace - clearly not keeping in mind that I am using pure tallow.
I am now sitting down, having a smoke and contemplating my amazing blonde moment. (Ok, more like hour)

Back