What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An order from Windy Point came in today and one of the things in the box was the Violet #2 I've been wanting to experiment with. I made a very small (150 grams) batch of a shampoo bar I'd made before, based on a Swift Crafty Monkey recipe. I want to see if the Violet #2 makes any difference to my hair. Another small change I made was to add Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein (from Making Cosmetics). The 1.5 bars are chilling in the freezer right now. I'll update, with photos, after I've had a chance to try them out.

Of course! I add it at 1% but it can be used at a higher rate than that, if desired.
Thank you! It’s going to be hot this weekend and making a menthol foot cream sounds like a really great idea.

An order from Windy Point came in today and one of the things in the box was the Violet #2 I've been wanting to experiment with. I made a very small (150 grams) batch of a shampoo bar I'd made before, based on a Swift Crafty Monkey recipe. I want to see if the Violet #2 makes any difference to my hair. Another small change I made was to add Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein (from Making Cosmetics). The 1.5 bars are chilling in the freezer right now. I'll update, with photos, after I've had a chance to try them out.
Looking forward to hearing what you think about the violet #2.

IMG_7212.jpeg

I made my favorite vanilla whipped body butter! I make an infusion with jojoba oil, vanilla beans, and tonka bean C02, warming it on the stove in a double boiler. Allow to sit for weeks (or months if I don’t go through the whole batch right away. Then I melt shea, kokum, and mango butter with Dr Bronner’s coconut oil in double boiler on stove. Stir all gently to mix in large bowl. Cool in refrigerator. Whip when clings to sides of bowl but liquid in the middle. Fairly usual recipe you can find online anywhere, but I tweaked it over the years. Soft and fluffy, to me it smells like vanilla ice cream soft serve.

I want to see if the Violet #2 makes any difference to my hair.
Keep me posted on this! My husband embraced his gray in his late 20's (to clarify, that was over 20 years ago, not his current age lol), I'm 50 and still fighting it. I buy an expensive violet shampoo for him to use once a week so the hard water doesn't turn his hair yellow. He uses my shampoo bars the rest of the time, so if the violet #2 works, it may save my pocket book and another plastic bottle in the shower.

Daughter has asked me to play around with body wash - she used up my first experiment despite it being extremely runny - so likely that will be my project through weekend. If I can get my room cleaned. It's a disaster between half packaged products and orders to ship on one counter, and my lip balm making mess on the other. Anyways here's the recipe if anyone wants to give it a whirl: (Recipe from Taralee YT channel, not a paid recipe.)

Phase A: 6% SCI
30% CAPB

Phase B: 52.5% Distilled Water
10% Glycerin
0.5% Preservative (original called for Germall Plus, but I've been using a blend of Leucidal and AMTicide just to use up what I have from my micellar cleansing water experiment, and using the correct % I just don't have my notes handy so I'm not even going to pretend that I know off the top of my head if it's the same or different)
1% Fragrance

Dissolve SCI in CAPB, combine Phase B, and add. Mix thoroughly.

I struggled getting the SCI dissolved last time, so I am going to try slightly warming the CAPB to see if that helps. It did dissolve, but it took a day of aggressive stirring and then letting it sit, lather-rinse-repeat. Also, I made a small batch and overpoured the water so I had around 25% more water than the recipe called for. I think this time I'm going to scale up (from 8oz to 16oz) the recipe to make measuring a bit easier, and maaaaybe measure the water first (I didn't last time...). We'll see how it goes.

View attachment 78222
I made my favorite vanilla whipped body butter! I make an infusion with jojoba oil, vanilla beans, and tonka bean C02, warming it on the stove in a double boiler. Allow to sit for weeks (or months if I don’t go through the whole batch right away. Then I melt shea, kokum, and mango butter with Dr Bronner’s coconut oil in double boiler on stove. Stir all gently to mix in large bowl. Cool in refrigerator. Whip when clings to sides of bowl but liquid in the middle. Fairly usual recipe you can find online anywhere, but I tweaked it over the years. Soft and fluffy, to me it smells like vanilla ice cream soft serve.
OMG YUM!

I struggled getting the SCI dissolved last time, so I am going to try slightly warming the CAPB to see if that helps.
I was just mentioning on another thread that I melt my SCI by microwaving it with the CAPB (and decyl, if using). You do have to watch for expansion and potential overflow, but it's so fast and easy that it's worth it. :)

Just wanted to tip my hat to all of you who dabble in chemicals. I haven't yet had the nerve...or the time, I suppose, to go down that rabbit hole! 🐰

I kind of like my simple recipes and they work for me. But still, I see you all posting things that are so fabulous and interesting. Anyway, a tip of the hat to you today! 🎩

Just wanted to tip my hat to all of you who dabble in chemicals. I haven't yet had the nerve...or the time, I suppose, to go down that rabbit hole! 🐰

I kind of like my simple recipes and they work for me. But still, I see you all posting things that are so fabulous and interesting. Anyway, a tip of the hat to you today! 🎩
If you're comfortable baking, you'll do just fine with some of the recipes we're using.

@MomInWA, I agree with what @Misschief said. There’s a lot to learn if you try making your own formulas but there are recipes out there that are good. Marie at Humblebee and Me has some great free recipes and I’m experimenting with the DIY B&B lotion base concentrate recipe (available on Etsy) that many on here love. I started with Swift Crafty Monkey but honestly it’s a lot for a beginner. She teaches how to formulate from scratch and provides some recipes. Had I known then what I know now I would have saved myself a lot of time, effort and money and started with the two I mentioned above.

@MomInWA, I agree with what @Misschief said. There’s a lot to learn if you try making your own formulas but there are recipes out there that are good. Marie at Humblebee and Me has some great free recipes and I’m experimenting with the DIY B&B lotion base concentrate recipe (available on Etsy) that many on here love. I started with Swift Crafty Monkey but honestly it’s a lot for a beginner. She teaches how to formulate from scratch and provides some recipes. Had I known then what I know now I would have saved myself a lot of time, effort and money and started with the two I mentioned above.
@Tammyfarms thank you. I’ve been following Humblebee for ages. Sort of meaning to dive in, but have too many irons in the fire currently. The one thing I keep think I’ll try (when I get around to it) is making my own hyuralonic acid. I think I need a small electric whisk too.

As much as I like SCM and all the information she provides, I often find it overwhelming, as someone without a science background. The DIY B&B, Humblebee (and others) recipes provide a good starting point. Their recipes are usually well researched and the reasons for including ingredients explained. They walk you through the process, often with explanations of why it's done that way.

Once you decide on a recipe to try, there are enough of us here who have tried it and can provide some guidance. I, for one, absolutely love the DIY Lotion Concentrate recipe and have played around with it a lot. Seriously, I've added all kinds of ingredients to it and haven't had a single failure. Most of my experiments are for personal use but some of them have become bestsellers at the market.

The recipes are a great way to start with formulating, if that's your end goal. But the recipes available out there, from people like DIY B&B, Humblebee & Me, Whole Elise, and some others, are generally good recipes on their own. And, it feels great to be able to say, "I made this and I love it!"

@Misschief Thank you! That’s very encouraging. I’m not a chemist either. But I am a darn good baker who is becoming a better than adequate soaper! All good things with time and practice I suppose. I had a SCM subscription but canceled it. Just not enough free time. I’ll likely one day finish everything else I’m working on at the very moment a Humblebee recipe floats through my inbox and inspires me. And then I’ll be off to the races! I have a two year volunteer position I have committed to. I probably won’t do anything more until I’ve at least learned the ropes or maybe even not until I complete my term. It’s a big commitment and my heart is in it.

I completely agree about SCM. I have no chemistry background, I took earth science in HS and geology in college. 😉 SCM was really overwhelming. I still pay $3 a month because I do use the site for reference. My brain is just unable to retain much. I thought about maybe taking a chemistry or biology class after I retired but decided to spend all my extra time at the barn with my horse instead. 😂.
My first DIY lotion base I messed up and tried to measure 2 grams of xanthan gum on my scale that measures in whole grams. I was putting it in with a liquid so I couldn’t pour it out and start over so I guessed. The two lotions I have made have been thin, other than that I’m loving them.

My first DIY lotion base I messed up and tried to measure 2 grams of xanthan gum on my scale that measures in whole grams. I was putting it in with a liquid so I couldn’t pour it out and start over so I guessed. The two lotions I have made have been thin, other than that I’m loving them.
I saw an interesting method of measuring out smaller measurements of powders on, I think, Tellervo, a Finnish soapmaker. Instead of measuring small quantities of powders into the container, she put the bag, bottle, or jar of the ingredient on the scale without taring and removed the ingredient in small increments until the right amount had been removed. I never would have thought of doing it that way but it makes sense.

I saw an interesting method of measuring out smaller measurements of powders on, I think, Tellervo, a Finnish soapmaker. Instead of measuring small quantities of powders into the container, she put the bag, bottle, or jar of the ingredient on the scale without taring and removed the ingredient in small increments until the right amount had been removed. I never would have thought of doing it that way but it makes sense.
That is brilliant! I will give it a try. Thanks!

That IS brilliant! You could also tar the scale and remove product until you reach the proper negative amount, too, right?

As much as I like SCM and all the information she provides, I often find it overwhelming, as someone without a science background. The DIY B&B, Humblebee (and others) recipes provide a good starting point. Their recipes are usually well researched and the reasons for including ingredients explained. They walk you through the process, often with explanations of why it's done that way.

Once you decide on a recipe to try, there are enough of us here who have tried it and can provide some guidance. I, for one, absolutely love the DIY Lotion Concentrate recipe and have played around with it a lot. Seriously, I've added all kinds of ingredients to it and haven't had a single failure. Most of my experiments are for personal use but some of them have become bestsellers at the market.

The recipes are a great way to start with formulating, if that's your end goal. But the recipes available out there, from people like DIY B&B, Humblebee & Me, Whole Elise, and some others, are generally good recipes on their own. And, it feels great to be able to say, "I made this and I love it!"
Yep me too. Started with SCM and couldn’t wrap my head around her formulas. She is very knowledgeable, but over my head.

Absolutely! Sometimes, though, scales don't seem to be as sensitive when it's those smaller quantities/amounts.
Agreed. Another way around this is to put your container on the scale and tare it, then a 10g weight to the scale. I use 10g because it makes for easy math (a rather constant theme in my posts, in case you haven't noticed). ;)

As you start measuring your small quantities into the container, the scale tends to register them more easily because it already has 10g on it. Just remember to subtract the 10g from your final weight.

Latest posts

Back