Using a coffee urn for masterbatching oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDiehl6690

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently been experimenting with masterbatching my oils. It has been working well and really speeding up my soap making. I am currently using a wax melting pot to do so. The problem is it is only a 5L pot and does not hold enough to do my large molds in one go. In looking for a larger vessel to melt my oils I stumbled across these coffee urns/water boilers from webstraunt store. They are 5 gallons which would be plently and they have adjustable temperature control. (Says min is 120, although the dial appears to go lower). Has anyone tried something like this? Is there any reason why this wouldnt work? I would love to buy a dedicated soap making melting pot but I am not in a position to spend that much money right now and this seems like a workable alternative. I was also toying with the idea of using an empty 5 gallon oil bucket with some type of heater (immersion or band) but it seems that it would take a long time to heat up, plus I wouldnt be able to turn it on as I put my oils in to melt them. Any advice or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241010_143919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241010_143919_Chrome.jpg
    609.2 KB
Last edited:
Hello,
I have recently been experimenting with masterbatching my oils. It has been working well and really speeding up my soap making. I am currently using a wax melting pot to do so. The problem is it is only a 5L pot and does not hold enough to do my large molds in one go. In looking for a larger vessel to melt my oils I stumbled across these coffee urns/water boilers from webstraunt store. They are 5 gallons which would be plently and they have adjustable temperature control. (Says min is 120, although the dial appears to go lower). Has anyone tried something like this? Is there any reason why this wouldnt work? I would love to buy a dedicated soap making melting pot but I am not in a position to spend that much money right now and this seems like a workable alternative. I was also toying with the idea of using an empty 5 gallon oil bucket with some type of heater (immersion or band) but it seems that it would take a long time to heat up, plus I wouldnt be able to turn it on as I put my oils in to melt them. Any advice or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
I have a digiboil wax melter that says it'll hold 9.25 fluid gallons of melted wax. Paid $169 for it I believe. Only tested it to the point of making sure it heats up so far though...

Latest posts

Back