Too much fragrance oil - rebatch or shred it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highhopes

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been making cold process soap for over 8 years and I've been using the same recipes for a while BUT, yesterday, I was making soap and using the weight of the lye instead of the weight for the fragrance oil to measure my fragrance oil (don't ask me how I did that, only when I was falling asleep I was questioning the amount of fragrance oil I was left with at the end of my endeavor lol)
This accounts for 4,4 more fragrance oil than what I usually add - I add the default amount on soap calc - 31g/kg of oil (so 3,1% for the fragrance oil)

So while, depending on the fragrance I can increase the % slightly, I'm leaning towards not using it at all. I really want this to be safe, especially as I tend to offer my soap at Christmas (hence why I'm doing it now). So, from my research I think I'm left with two options: rebatching it or shredding it.

I have never rebatched a soap before and, I'm a bit terrified of the process, especially because I don't own a crockpot and would need to acquire one.

Shredding seems to be a good solution, I could then incorporate it on a base unscented new batch. I also saw this: which is a bit similar but different.

Either way, I'm game in any way to fix this, even the rebatch option, I just don't want to waste the soap. I did 4 bars (yes, how could I have made so many bars without realizing it? I have no idea!)

If you have any advice for me or share what you've done with the same problem, I'd feel super thankful

I’m with @lsg on waiting a bit to see if the fragrance fades. What is the safe usage rate for the fragrance? It could be 100%, which you wouldn’t want to use, but it would ease your mind about safety. Making Confetti or Ciaglia soaps is a good way to deal with overpowering fragrance but it’s another effort and you will end up with 2-3 times the amount of soap you have now.

Wait and see! Check the safe IFRA amount to be sure it is safe to use. I like the Ciaglia method better than traditional confetti shreds because the soap remains smooth in use. I also hate rebatching. I haven't tried it personally, but I know that others have successfully done oven rebatch - search the forum for the process.

Thank you so much for all your replies! I'm going to wait and see and, while I wait, check the IFRA amount and make my decision based on that.

It was definitely stressful to realize how far off my amount of fragrance was. I do appreciate you all agreeing that shredding is a good option! If the IFRA ends up being unsafe, I'll go with that option, it might give me more bars but it will also give me more soap throughout the year ahah

Latest posts

Back