Too much fragrance oil - rebatch or shred it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highhopes

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been making cold process soap for over 8 years and I've been using the same recipes for a while BUT, yesterday, I was making soap and using the weight of the lye instead of the weight for the fragrance oil to measure my fragrance oil (don't ask me how I did that, only when I was falling asleep I was questioning the amount of fragrance oil I was left with at the end of my endeavor lol)
This accounts for 4,4 more fragrance oil than what I usually add - I add the default amount on soap calc - 31g/kg of oil (so 3,1% for the fragrance oil)

So while, depending on the fragrance I can increase the % slightly, I'm leaning towards not using it at all. I really want this to be safe, especially as I tend to offer my soap at Christmas (hence why I'm doing it now). So, from my research I think I'm left with two options: rebatching it or shredding it.

I have never rebatched a soap before and, I'm a bit terrified of the process, especially because I don't own a crockpot and would need to acquire one.

Shredding seems to be a good solution, I could then incorporate it on a base unscented new batch. I also saw this: which is a bit similar but different.

Either way, I'm game in any way to fix this, even the rebatch option, I just don't want to waste the soap. I did 4 bars (yes, how could I have made so many bars without realizing it? I have no idea!)

If you have any advice for me or share what you've done with the same problem, I'd feel super thankful

I’m with @lsg on waiting a bit to see if the fragrance fades. What is the safe usage rate for the fragrance? It could be 100%, which you wouldn’t want to use, but it would ease your mind about safety. Making Confetti or Ciaglia soaps is a good way to deal with overpowering fragrance but it’s another effort and you will end up with 2-3 times the amount of soap you have now.

Wait and see! Check the safe IFRA amount to be sure it is safe to use. I like the Ciaglia method better than traditional confetti shreds because the soap remains smooth in use. I also hate rebatching. I haven't tried it personally, but I know that others have successfully done oven rebatch - search the forum for the process.

Back