Tattoo Balm - feedback and/or sharing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been testing and adjusting a recipe to make a tattoo balm I’m happy with for friends and family. I have zero tattoos but DH has 2 so he’s my tester. I been reading several ingredient lists for tattoo balms and have made this version a few times. It feels really nice and makes tattoos look better than without it - move vibrant, I’d say. I’m open to suggestions to help improve it, or to sharing, if anyone is interested. This recipe feels like a modified and enhanced lotion bar: 33% waxes, 33% butters, 32% oil, 1% tocopherols T-50, and 1% fragrance.

31% Beeswax
2% Caranuba wax
11% Shea Butter
22% Cocoa Butter
32% Calendula infused Sunflower oil (I did 1/2 cup by volume calendula petals in 5.25oz sunflower oil, infusing for 3 weeks)
1% T-50
1% FO

Heat first 5 ingredients over a double boiler (bane-marie) stirring frequently until all ingredients are fully melted, which will be around 187f since the Caranuba wax has such a high melting point, but not over 200f. Remove from heat, add last 2 ingredients as long as temp is below the flashpoint of your FO. Slowly stir well and pour into twist up containers or tins. Let sit undisturbed until completely cool.

A few notes:
I think I could add the T-50 with the first 5 ingredients, but I don’t think it’s hurting anything that I’m adding it off the heat with the FO.
I let these “cure” for about a week before I label them and hand them out.
I might test out swapping the percents of Shea and Cocoa Butters, since Cocoa Butter is so darn pricey now. I’m lucky to still be nursing a 10 pound box I got last year, so I’ve been immune to the cost, but my box will run out at some point.

Photos: a popular tattoo balm ingredient list that has given me some tips, and a photo of the balms I made today scented with WSP Eros dup.
IMG_5277.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5275.png
    IMG_5275.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Looks like a lovely balm. Let us know how DH likes it. I would probably use calendula infused SAO instead of sunflower, because SAO is considered so gentle for skin. But to be honest, I haven't spent any time researching sunflower oil's benefits to the skin.

I’ve been testing and adjusting a recipe to make a tattoo balm I’m happy with for friends and family. I have zero tattoos but DH has 2 so he’s my tester. I been reading several ingredient lists for tattoo balms and have made this version a few times. It feels really nice and makes tattoos look better than without it - move vibrant, I’d say. I’m open to suggestions to help improve it, or to sharing, if anyone is interested. This recipe feels like a modified and enhanced lotion bar: 33% waxes, 33% butters, 32% oil, 1% tocopherols T-50, and 1% fragrance.

31% Beeswax
2% Caranuba wax
11% Shea Butter
22% Cocoa Butter
32% Calendula infused Sunflower oil (I did 1/2 cup by volume calendula petals in 5.25oz sunflower oil, infusing for 3 weeks)
1% T-50
1% FO

Heat first 5 ingredients over a double boiler (bane-marie) stirring frequently until all ingredients are fully melted, which will be around 187f since the Caranuba wax has such a high melting point, but not over 200f. Remove from heat, add last 2 ingredients as long as temp is below the flashpoint of your FO. Slowly stir well and pour into twist up containers or tins. Let sit undisturbed until completely cool.

A few notes:
I think I could add the T-50 with the first 5 ingredients, but I don’t think it’s hurting anything that I’m adding it off the heat with the FO.
I let these “cure” for about a week before I label them and hand them out.
I might test out swapping the percents of Shea and Cocoa Butters, since Cocoa Butter is so darn pricey now. I’m lucky to still be nursing a 10 pound box I got last year, so I’ve been immune to the cost, but my box will run out at some point.

Photos: a popular tattoo balm ingredient list that has given me some tips, and a photo of the balms I made today scented with WSP Eros dup.
View attachment 78887
This sounds like a great product.

I'd be concerned about adding any FO or EO to broken skin, which would include newly-tattooed skin. I don't believe most of them are safe for that. Some infused ingredients are not either; arnica comes to mind, for instance. It's great on bruises, but can cause an excruciating burning sensation if applied to broken skin.

I'd be concerned about adding any FO or EO to broken skin, which would include newly-tattooed skin. I don't believe most of them are safe for that. Some infused ingredients are not either; arnica comes to mind, for instance. It's great on bruises, but can cause an excruciating burning sensation if applied to broken skin.
True, I don't have any tattoos but friends & family do. I now think that FO or EO would burn. The formula still seems good. Has anyone here made & sold a tattoo balm??

Back