Super Sensitive Skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desarae19

Reaction score
My grandmother asked me to look into making a soap for extremely sensitive skin. She has allergic reactions to her sweat and tears. It breaks her skin out, and makes it feel like it is cracked and flakey. She would like something to wash with, that will be a little moisturizing as well.

I know this might be rather specific, and I do not want to "steal" anyone's secret recipie, but if you could stear me towards oils/butters that you think I should look into, I would greatly appreciate it.

Soap is never moisturizing, always cleansing.
I'd go with a high amount of olive oil, somewhat higher superfat.
And I'd actually use as little as possible, only on the area's where you really need to.
Maybe you could make some light body oil to use afterwards?

I'd go with Castille - 100% olive oil. It will take a few months to cure though and it's best to use a steep water discount.

She might consider the oil cleansing method. I don't know a lot about it but if you google, stuff should come up.

Most of the people I know who have sensitive skin have said that soaps made with high percentages of olive oil are always the best, so I ditto the 100% castille. She should also consider finding and using some kind of heavily moisturizing all natural lotion to give her skin some strength, or even seeking medical help, because if your skin is that sensitive it may be telling of a larger issue.

Why not rice brand oil? Isnt RBO just as soft and non allergy inducing? I am just asking because that recipe I made a while back is like silk in a bar. Super nice.

thanks, I was thinking olive oil myself, and glad you guys agree.

She has had a dermatologist for about 20 years, and has tried just about everything. It will be ok for a couple of days, to a weak, then most things start burning her face.

I guess I should have said a soap less drying instead of moisturizing. Something that will have her use as few products as possible.

thanks again for the suggestions.

A little beeswax may be worth looking into (ask first if she isn't allergic to that or propolis).

Start with 1% PPO, easier to use if you heat the wax together with oil until the wax melts, which may be a bit trickier at first, if you're not used to soaping that hot.

Fragola said:
A little beeswax may be worth looking into (ask first if she isn't allergic to that or propolis).

Start with 1% PPO, easier to use if you heat the wax together with oil until the wax melts, which may be a bit trickier at first, if you're not used to soaping that hot.

What benefit would beeswax have in soap for sensitive skin?

I never heard of beeswax being preferable for sensitive skin. I suppose Castile soap might be a good way to go.

It's odd but sometimes I can have no sensitivity on my face but the palms of my hands become dried out and itchy. :? So wear gloves to wash face? I don't think that's very practical.

I agree 100% Castile should be the least drying. Have you tried making a Shea butter and Rosehip oil lotion or cream for her to apply...or looking for one in the stores. My mother in law has a similar thing where her sweat was very acidic and it caused her a lot of problems. I made her some whipped shea butter with rosehip oil and vitamin e and she found it very soothing. Hope you find something that works for your Grandmother :)

If salt and sweat are irritating her, I'd wager there's something going on internally that needs to be fixed. It could be something as simple as she's chronically dehydrated, or it could be an imbalance that needs correcting. How much water does she drink? Is she on diuretics and potassium? Does she drink a lot of coffee or tea? Has she always been like this, or did she start taking meds for something many years ago?

All said and done, like I told my cousin when I made her pine tar soap for her psoriasis - the skin reflects what's going on inside. Heal that and your skin will most likely get better!

AmyW said:
If salt and sweat are irritating her, I'd wager there's something going on internally that needs to be fixed. It could be something as simple as she's chronically dehydrated, or it could be an imbalance that needs correcting. How much water does she drink? Is she on diuretics and potassium? Does she drink a lot of coffee or tea? Has she always been like this, or did she start taking meds for something many years ago?

All said and done, like I told my cousin when I made her pine tar soap for her psoriasis - the skin reflects what's going on inside. Heal that and your skin will most likely get better!

Well said. :D

What benefit would beeswax have in soap for sensitive skin?
I find that it adds mildness to the soap.

On that topic, it helps using the soap mildly, rather than scrubbing too hard.

If salt and sweat are irritating her, I'd wager there's something going on internally that needs to be fixed.
Maybe not necessarily the salt, could also be that her sweat is too acidic.

AmyW said:

This.

I'd be asking about her diet first. :wink:

I react to my own sweat, I get red welts from it. I got a weird illness when I was a teenager that left me with autoimmune issues, and I've had the problem ever since. I can't go in the ocean either or I get the same problem, I think it is reaction to the salt.

I find that avoiding most fragrances, and using soap high in shea butter (I use 30%) and olive oil, as well as a fairly high SF, work well for me.

Another thing you could do is to make a surfactant based body wash with really mild surfs and put some nice oils in there as well.

My daughter has skin allergies and psoriasis (the external result of internal stress etc).

She was able to use my castile, which is 100% OO ... no fragrance no colour. Recently she's started trialling both my plain buttermilk soap and plain goats milk soap ... both successfully. I'm thrilled as I like my castile to cure for 5+ months ... preferrably six. The buttermilk and goats milk soaps only take 6 weeks to cure ... loads easier!

thanks again for the suggestions, I appreciate it. at least now I have a specific direction to look into.

As far as her health and diet... as I mentioned, she's been under the care of her doctor and dermatologist for over 20 years, so I can imagine they have looked into most causes in that area.

Fragola said:
I find that it adds mildness to the soap.

Interesting. I googled about the benefit of beeswax in soap. I'm sure there's more info but I stopped on the first page. Can you say lazy? Sure I knew you could. :lol:

I wonder how lye might alter the beeswax. I'll have to research more and then make a batch one of these days. Another thing to add to my to-try list. :roll:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/19200 ... f-beeswax/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15777988
http://www.asktheexterminator.com/bees/ ... Soap.shtml
http://sassygoatmilksoap.com/SGoatnotebeeswax.html

Latest posts

Back