Sugar syrup

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a 2:1 sugar to water syrup for soapmaking this morning. After I got it heating I realized I used tap water instead of distilled. I boiled the mixture gently for about 1-2 minutes. Is that safe to use in soap, or should I use that for something else and make another batch with distilled water? We have well water that goes through a UV filter system.

The risk with tap water is the minerals in it that can cause DOS down the road. Boiling won't get rid of the minerals. If your planning on using the soap quickly it shouldn't be a problem but if you are planning on selling or if they are going to sit for a long time you might run into DOS.

The risk with tap water is the minerals in it that can cause DOS down the road. Boiling won't get rid of the minerals. If your planning on using the soap quickly it shouldn't be a problem but if you are planning on selling or if they are going to sit for a long time you might run into DOS.
That's what I thought. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I'll make a new batch and use what I have for - I dunno, maybe I can make pancake syrup out of it.🙂

That's what I thought. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I'll make a new batch and use what I have for - I dunno, maybe I can make pancake syrup out of it.🙂
Buy some lemons and make lemonade! 😄
My husband uses a simple syrup like that to put in lemonade instead of sugar since it incorporates easier.

I've made soap with filtered tap water several times before. A soap with 100% CO was one of the very few that didn't get DOS some months later. Using only deionized ever since

Buy some lemons and make lemonade! 😄
My husband uses a simple syrup like that to put in lemonade instead of sugar since it incorporates easier.
Pancake syrup on the left, soaping syrup on the right. Nobody is complaining about pancakes for lunch today!

Attachments

• 20240919_121955.jpg
    20240919_121955.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back