Sugar Cubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BakingNana said:
Hey, Mayren, you wondered about discoloring FOs? The huckelberry ones I made and posted the pic of that were sort of tan when made turned a nice mauve color after a day or so. So weird.
It turned mauve? I think that's kind of cool!

soapbuddy said:
BakingNana said:
Hey, Mayren, you wondered about discoloring FOs? The huckelberry ones I made and posted the pic of that were sort of tan when made turned a nice mauve color after a day or so. So weird.
It turned mauve? I think that's kind of cool!

I know...how perfect is that?!? One of those "oh ya, I meant to do that!"

I would love to see some more pics... :lol: Anyone have any to share?

What oils have you been adding? Last night I added just Shea and I think I like that better.

Jezzy said:
I would love to see some more pics... :lol: Anyone have any to share?

What oils have you been adding? Last night I added just Shea and I think I like that better.

I used coconut oil and I'm really happy with them. They get nice and firm and don't crumble, but still break off and smoosh easily. I think almond or rice bran would be nice. Gonna try jojoba, too. Havin' a ball with these little things.

Everyone loved this thread so much and there was more exitement than we've had for a long time :D

Haven't seen the original recipe and won't be looking it up (although I'll be doing some research later on); but everyone could keep posting the sugar or salt cubes they've come up with, their methods, recipes etc.
That way Mayren could still give us her vision, tips & tricks and we wouldn't have to do without her as a great source of inspiration.

We could make it a competition, vote for the best looking/sounding sugar cubes at Midwinter, to get all of our soapers through the darkest day of the year :D
The recipe should, aside from it being a sugar or salt cube like Mayrens, not be too similar or just slightly tweaked; you should make it your own obviously.

One of the mods could ask the winner if they're interested in having their tutorial, with credits of course, up on SMF tutorials.

For more inspiration: http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php? ... ube&filter[0]=handmade&filter[1]=bath_and_beauty

These are just amazing!
il_430xN.184557151.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TwinDreamCreations

il_430xN.177219044.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/shop/zephyrhills

il_430xN.144811301.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/shop/yummysuds

Happy soaping... uuhh.. cubing everyone!

Dagmar! Those look amazing! Do you think that the little ones with the sugary top is cp on the bottom? I have got to try this!

? about the preservative. Why would it be needed? Dagmar, do you know what it would be called in dutch or german? Thanks..

I just looked closer and I think it is sugar and sugar. Any thoughts on how she gets those layers so even? That looks sooo nice!

If you make small ones for single use and store them airtight I guess you could leave out the preservative; but for bigger cubes that are likely to sit in the bathroom between use I would include a broadspectrum preservative.

In your case, you could get one at www.behawe.com (based in Germany) but i like buying my Optiphen at Gracefruit. The shipping isn't that bad for me and no extra taxes.

Don't know how they call sugar cubes in the Netherlands or Germany, as I spend most of my time on American fora. Zucker Würfel (scrub) maybe???

I suppose those layered cubes are made out of two seperate batches. One poured a day after the other one perhaps. Why don't we all try to find out?! 8)

Here they are. The one in the middle was made by my 3 year old. <3 Finally a soap project that she can help with! They are scented with her favorite Pink Cherry Cake.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:D Coool! :? If I came over to your place an saw them laying around I'd probably end up tasting one :p they look edible haha

Thanks for the info. I order from behawe all the time. I was just wondering what a preservative is called here.

I was planning on giving them out for christmas. I have an idea :wink: I know that many of my friend don't use my stuff :cry: they leave it out for decoration :roll: so should I add something?

remember they will be hygroscopic (attract water), so leaving them out (not in a closed container) could result in little puddles of water!

Thank you Agriffin for posting that! Thank you Tess for the recipe. That looks Great! Have to try those too! These are sooo much fun!

Jezzy said:
Thanks Carebear. Is there a way to stop that happening?

Only storing them in a container with a tight lid. It's the nature of the ingredients (i.e., sugar or salt).

I just spent 45 minutes deleting posts from this thread. I am not sure how this all got stared, but it spun way out of control. People began making assumptions & it went downhill from there.

If you had a post deleted it does not necessarily mean anything was wrong with your post in specific. It 'probably' means it was in response to another message that was deleted so it no longer made sense standing alone.

Please remember, if there is a problem contact a moderator or admin.

If you notice a thread is going downhill, please report it to a mod or admin & for goodness sakes - DON'T STIR THE POT!

Thanks

Back