Sugar Cubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SudsyKat said:
Jezzy -You know, I did see your pics and I must have forgotten. Thanks for sharing - they're very cool. It's interesting to me that you froze the first part while preparing the second. I don't have the experience to back this up, but intuitively, I would think that to get the layers to mesh together well, you'd need to have a bit of looseness in the top of the first layer. Apparently, your turned out just great, though, so maybe I'll do what you did.

They weren't really frozen, it took me about 3 min. to make the next layer. I thought about it too tried it. I did have one that separated. Next time I will try to put them together when they are warm..

has anyone tried making sugar cubes out of a salt bar? i'm trying it now, am so excited! was gonna wait until i pop them out of the mold and report back, and, hopefully, post pic if i can figure out imageshack, but can't help but ask if anyone else has tried with any success!

i'm using a salt bar with rose clay and pink grapefruit eo, will add a little more eo before i spoon into molds.

these sugar 'smoochies' are soooo, sooo much fun!!!! mayren, you are truly an inspiration :)

I've seen some sugar cubes on Etsy in the last couple of days and the cubes are so perfectly square.... how did they do that? They almost look as square and hard as real sugar cubes.

Alot of higher production of cubes is done with melt an pour soap instead of CP shreds and poured into a sprayed or silicone sheet pan then cut into cubes in straight lines.

I don't like Melt and Pour personally but many do
for various reasons. One perk is that the cubes are more
solid i guess.

I made a batch with Shea that got really hard almost as hard as soap! It is really nice too.

reporting back on the sugar cube smooshies (or smoochies :) made with a salt bar. they're fantastic! i will definitely make these again... they're a little more translucent than my others, so a really lovely effect... i still can't figure out how to upload pics, but will try again later...

Well, after all this talk and forum reading, I finally made some sugar cubes last night. I used my new IKEA $1.99 ice cube trays.

The blue ones used half avocado oil and half shea butter. I added a very small amount of mica for the color (might not do that again - I'll have to see how the "bleed" is when I use it in the shower). Probably, for these, a few drops of food coloring could work as well as anything. I'll just have to make some more and find out!

And for the redish ones, I added a small amount of pink kaolin clay for the color. The oils were 1/2 coconut and half shea butter. These seem somewhat firmer, though both firmed up pretty nicely. Can't wait to try them in the shower. Thanks again, Mayren - and everyone.

By the way, I was thinking the little blue fish might be better made as a salt scrub (just makes more sense when you're thinking about fish in the ocean). Would salt scrubs work in much the same way? Maybe mix some course sea salt with regular table salt?

Thanks to all for another fun weekend - hubby watched football and baseball while I soaped away. We both enjoyed it!

SudsyKat those are soooo adorable! Very nice job!

Salt scrubs should work the same way but i havn't done many
to check it out.

Small update on my sugar cubes. I tried one of the blue ones in the shower. I worked perfectly in terms of how it crumbled/scrubbed. But I will say that the blue mica was a silly idea. Chalk it up to newbie experimentation. Imagine spilling blue eye shadow in the shower. That's pretty much how it looked. It didn't dye the shower blue or anything and it rinsed off my skin really easily, so no harm done, but I don't think it would go over very well in general. And I have to say, it didn't really do anything for my skin. I feel like when I use a scrub, it usually does wonders for my skin, but this one didn't do much. Oh, well. I'll play with the formula and see if different oils make a difference.

Jezzy - thanks. The pics are on page 10 of the thread, actually. And they're not cubes - I used IKEA ice cube trays and made fish and hearts. Fun, fun, fun!

Sudsykat! How did I miss those? Sometimes i don't get notifications... Anyone else?

Anyway... Those are soooo cute!

I just gave away my first sugar cubes last night. It was a friends birthday and I handed him over the cubes. His father opened up the bag and took a bite !! :shock: LOL.... You should have seen his face! :lol:

I used oatmeal and honey soap shreds, 1/2 jojoba oil with 1/2 shea butter and 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 raw sugar. My FO was a vanilla scent. Yummy!

sugarscrub.jpg

:shock: Holy Crap! Just how in the blazes did I make that image so ginormous? I swear to you...the molds I used were only about an inch big! LOL! :lol:

Sorry...If I knew how to make the image smaller I would...I had hard enough time trying to figure how to post the image in the first place! :?

Stacey those are adorable!
You too are gettin Mauvey color instead of brown which is great
considering you used vanilla FO!

I used a candy mold for these, and they turned out so cute! The soap part of the sugar scrub is from a vanilla coffee soap. The brown flecks really added to the seashells. Since I didn't add any more fragrance,so the scent is very subtle.

URL=http://img101.imageshack.us/i/shellssugarscrubresized.jpg/]
shellssugarscrubresized.jpg
[/URL]

Back