Sugar Cubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Xraygrl - I have tried in the past to make a Sugar Bar like
people make a Salt bar with a fresh HP or CP batch and couldn't
make it work. The heat and fresh chemical reactions don't
do good things for sugar and it's gooey. I really thought it
would be possible and If you make it work with the high
% of sugar needed to truly be a salt bar then I'd be really
interested in that tutorial.
\

Thanks Mayren! I'll have to make an unscented batch of hp and shred it up then. I'm hoping I feel well enough to give this a try next weekend. I don't have a brownie mold, but I do have these really small plastic containers I got at dollar tree that might work well for a mold for this.

Thanks Mayren,
I think the batch was too hot. I made an oatmeal, milk and honey today and it was much better. That's how you learn by doing so I figured I would warn everyone so they don't make the same mistake.
Paillo,
I don't know if I would make too big of a batch of this. The first couple I only made maybe 6, today's I filled the entire mold. It takes a while to smoosh them little guys and make them pretty. I found the perfect measuring spoon with a square edge to smoosh with.

I used one this morning...very neat.

scouter139 said:
Thanks Mayren,
I think the batch was too hot. I made an oatmeal, milk and honey today and it was much better. That's how you learn by doing so I figured I would warn everyone so they don't make the same mistake.
Paillo,
I don't know if I would make too big of a batch of this. The first couple I only made maybe 6, today's I filled the entire mold. It takes a while to smoosh them little guys and make them pretty. I found the perfect measuring spoon with a square edge to smoosh with.

I used one this morning...very neat.

thank you! i can't wait to try this tomorrow, going to use up some chocolate peppermint swirl, will take pics if they're a success. i bet all the girls on my list are going to love, love, love these! mayren, you're a genius and thanks so much for your generosity :)

Mayren,
Can I pick your brain about what type of extra oils you use? Anything that you've tried that you definately don't like or use? Do you find adding something like shea butter is better than say lard? Or coconut oil better than olive oil?

I'm really liking the oatmeal, milk and honey. Yep, can't wait for the shower tomorrow! :wink:

I found myself digging through boxes looking for soap I could grate up. What an awesome way to use up all those pieces and ends and the batches we just don't like.

Mayren, made up a batch with your recipe using an old mini muffin tin. Popped right out after 15 minutes in the freezer and I can't wait to use them. Thanks so much for posting! One question...I don't like to use any preservatives. How long is the shelf life of these little beauties without preservative?

Thanks for sharing your recipe and for posting pics. The sugar scrubs are lovely, and I hope to make my own soon! (Decided to have chocolate instead of the popcorn, after all! :D )

I just saw your sugar cubes!

Mayren: WOW...These are so pretty and they sound wonderful. Have you tried using sea salt also, and if so, do they come out well?

I'm getting ready to try making these this coming week, and I'm not understanding why you would need a preservative? There isn't any water in the product so why use a preservative?

thanks for helping me to understand why anyone would use a preservative on these. If worried about it going bad why not add a little VitE to the oils that would be used?

meadowyck said:
I'm getting ready to try making these this coming week, and I'm not understanding why you would need a preservative? There isn't any water in the product so why use a preservative?

thanks for helping me to understand why anyone would use a preservative on these. If worried about it going bad why not add a little VitE to the oils that would be used?

Same here. I decided not to use preservatives and put a freshness warning on them.

Mayren said:
To All -

I see that many were putting the pressure on to have me
post a recipe but I'm not seeing much response of people
who have actually made these yet. Pretty Please
post your pics and experiences on making this recipe.

Recharging camera...will post soon. LOVE LOVE LOVE your recipe!!! I also am amazed at how far these go. Been using the same one twice a day since I made them and still have a lot left.

Well, I messed up :) I don't like the feel of white sugar--too scratchy, and raw is even more abrasive. I tried with brown sugar. I am not sure if that made the dif, or if I did something else wrong, but mine never got firm at all. I tried twice, once with 1/2 grapeseed and 1/2 shea. The second time I used 1/2 CO and 1/2 cocoa butter. It did not get firm either time.

It does not look particularly cute either, since it is just brown sugar looking.

On the other hand, it is a nice scrub and smells good. Nice lather with the first batch.

Please give opinions--was it probably the brown sugar that made it fail?

This is my creation. I just made it right now- they are still warm.
I did not have the propper mold, so I made some balls and to make squares I just pressed a layer in small container and then cut it and rolled in sugar. I used blue ultramarine for coloring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No I did not scent them, just what is left over from the soap when I first made it.... Spa Tonic from WSP....still smells good

First ones made in mini muffin tin. Second in brownie bite pan. The round ones are shrink wrapped, so sorry for the glare. They are Sea Glass, Lemon, Apricot Freesia, Lavender, Sweet Pea, Fresh Cucumber, Rosemary Mint, Pink Sugar, and Vanilla Patchouli. Cubes are Huckelberry (supposed to be mauve; look sort of tan), Lemon, Cottton Blossom, Strawberries and Champagne, and Cucumber Melon.

Thanks again for the great recipe, Mayren!

My sister sent me a bite size brownie mold. I am waiting for the post... And for a little time to myself ;-)

How did you add the color? I don't remember reading that.

Jezzy said:
My sister sent me a bite size brownie mold. I am waiting for the post... And for a little time to myself ;-)

How did you add the color? I don't remember reading that.

I used Pop Micas, just a few drops, mixed into the melted soap/oils (I used coconut oil). Mixed like crazy with a spoon then added the sugar and mixed. It does look sort of dough-like. I used cheap Michael's Craft Store soap colors for a couple of them. Figured it was a good way to use them up. They worked well.

I also used a "natural" type M and P base which is pretty much just saponified palm. Love it. There seem to be quite a few M and P bases now that don't have all the stuff in them (SLS, etc.) that customers don't like.

I found a mini mold at Ikea.. I made them and will post pics soon. Is it normal for the finished "cubes" (mine aren't cubes :wink: ) to be pretty soft?

The pink ones are pink lemonade and the green ones are mojito..

The pink ones are pretty soft. Will they harden up with time?

Which oils are the best to add?

Latest posts

Back