Soap Scientists - why did this happen!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made this soap in June. It’s reconstituted powdered donkey’s milk, and rose clay. I was playing around trying to make a face soap that was gentle and used rice bran and jojoba oil’s. Today I finally used a bit of a bar and the sudsyness and the creaminess is off the chart! I think I need to take the super fat down because I can feel oil on the surface of the soap. But can someone tell me why this recipe was super sudsy and creamy? Is it the oil? Is it the use of donkey milk? is it the clay? 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
When I make milk soap, the lather is usually more creamy than other bars. But I'm sure the high lard content with its palmitic acid contributed to that as well.

And yes, 8% is a bit high for this recipe's SF - I think if you limit it to 5% that extra greasy feeling on the surface should be gone

When I make milk soap, the lather is usually more creamy than other bars. But I'm sure the high lard content with its palmitic acid contributed to that as well.

And yes, 8% is a bit high for this recipe's SF - I think if you limit it to 5% that extra greasy feeling on the surface should be gone
Thanks for the reply. I was confused because I’ve used goat milk in my recipes before but never got these results. Admittedly the lard was higher than I usually use.
Soap! It’s a mystery (or science, which is a mystery 😻)

Thanks for the reply. I was confused because I’ve used goat milk in my recipes before but never got these results. Admittedly the lard was higher than I usually use.
Soap! It’s a mystery (or science, which is a mystery 😻)
There you go ‐ it's because of the piggy 🐷

Soaping strikes the perfect balance between science and craft 🧼

Back