Soap properties for healing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gal Magen

Reaction score
Hi there

I have read a few articles at the modern soap making website with a few more videos of oil fatty acids properties

As I understand, the oil types included in the soap are contributing to the soap physical properties and not healing properties

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

My goal is to create a soap that will help with certain skin issues
I have tried to embed herbals into the oil and water
Is there any other ways to implement health properties into the soap?
(Vitamins, minerals and more...)

Thank you

Soap is a wash-off product, so there would be no lasting benefit to adding herbs, etc. to soap. Lotions, creams, and balms are stay-on products, here is where one would want to research for additives that are beneficial.

That being said, with soap one does not want to irritate a skin condition. If you do a search on this forum there are many helpful suggestions for soap recipes that do not cause irritation for certain conditions such as psoriasis, acne, etc. based on members' experiences - but not necessarily sanctioned as a remedy by the FDA.

Additionally, just an FYI, one can not claim any health benefits on a product being sold, unless there has been substantial testing that has then been approved by the FDA.

Some say turmeric has antiseptic effect that can be felt in soap (but I can't confirm, because I don't know how you can 'feel' that). Others say oatmeal soothes dry skin (again, I can't confirm because my skin is not dry and I don't notice difference).

That being said, I agree with the previous post - soap is a wash-off product and such additives just don't work the same once inside of it. Soap is not supposed to have 'healing' properties, it's supposed to clean - it's not a lotion, balm or any sort of medicine. To me soap bars differ in the way they look, smell, melt and lather - everything else is mostly (if not all) label appeal, dictated by the consumerism in our society. JM2C

Latest posts

Back