Soap Mold Attempt Failure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger

Reaction score
So, I went out yesterday and bought some wood and nails attempt to put together a couple soap molds. I bought a furring strip as suggested and had a minor problem when I bought it. I had wanted some 3" segments for the ends and was informed that they couldn't cut them that small because the saw would just eat the pieces. Not being daunted by the first kink in my plans, I asked to have the segments that were to be 3" each into 6" and I would cut them in half at home.

So, today, I duly worked at cutting one of the 6" segments into two 3" segments (with my swiss army knife saw as that was what we had). It was only an inch thick and 4 inches wide, so this was not too terrible... well, as terrible as it could have been. I decided it was okay if the lines weren't anything resembling straight on the outside edge.

Then, I attempted to nail the pieces of wood together and that is where things started to really go wrong. The wood was very hard and I am a failure when it comes to using a hammer it seems.. I managed to get the nail in about half an inch and then my partner took over. He managed to get about three quarters of the way finished on the mold with the caveat that it was a bit lop-sided, but I could deal with that... Then we got to the last end piece we had to attach and the wood on the side piece split on us... So, long story short, it was a complete failure at becoming a mold.

We do have another set that we can attempt to make into a mold, but with the wood being so hard and the tendency towards cracking, I am not sure if it is worth attempting at this point :-(

On the bright side of things, cardboard boxes are cheap...

Yes, you need to get a drill with some screws and the appropriate bit for the drill. Makes life so much easier to pre-drill the holes in hard woods like that.

Thank you for the suggestions :) I don't have a drill, but may have access to one, so I may be able to get the other pieces of wood made into a usable mold. I was being inpatient again ;-) screws had never even occurred to me, I am not very good at this woodworking thing as you may have noticed ;-)

I may also have to check out Michaels and see what they have for molds again. I don't recall seeing one when I was in there last time, but that could have just be me, or I may be thinking of another craft store that I went to and not Michaels. Looking doesn't hurt anyways!

Yeah, I was looking for silicone molds and asked a guy where the soap and candle supplies were. They were way down on the bottom shelf. I was surprised to see something like that there! There were no silicone molds though :( I did go over to the baking section and found silicone brownie bite pans though! Score!

I have debating buying the silicone loaf mold from Amazon, but have no idea how that would work.

Yes, please make a video for poor incompetent people like me ;-)

Oh no! I'm sorry your mold didn't work out for you Badger! What dimensions were you looking for in a mold?

Oh no! I'm sorry your mold didn't work out for you Badger! What dimensions were you looking for in a mold?

I am looking for a 2.5 lb mold or thereabouts... likely around 4" x 3" x 10.5 " or that was what I was trying to build...

That sucks Badger. I'm sorry that project didn't go well for you, particularly because I suggested it. For future projects, gorilla glue is your friend.

Mel, we got about halfway through and thought about wood glue, gorilla glue likely would have worked.. how is that for holding up to the heat of the soap? I have not used gorilla glue before, but want something that could withstand some heat from both soap, and the possibility of CPOP, though that is not as necessary right now.

Screws would work, but I don't have a drill for them. I think my friend has one though, so I might beg her to help :)

Mel, we got about halfway through and thought about wood glue, gorilla glue likely would have worked.. how is that for holding up to the heat of the soap? I have not used gorilla glue before, but want something that could withstand some heat from both soap, and the possibility of CPOP, though that is not as necessary right now.

Screws would work, but I don't have a drill for them. I think my friend has one though, so I might beg her to help :)

Gorilla will withstand anything. It's one of the strongest glues around. If you nail or screw through halfset glue, you will create a reinforced bond that would take a mack truck to destroy. That's what we did for my soap cutter and I would like to take the blocks off and put regular 3x3 blocks on them, but that glue ain't movin', baby! LOL

Well, I talked to my partner and ended up breaking down and buying a mold and cutter set from Etsy (thanks to credit options). I looked at a few on ebay also, and when it came down to it, this looked like it would hold up the longest for being adjustable and allowing me to expand for the size of batches I need. I also really needed a cutter, so something that offers both in one was a good deal for me. This is the set I ordered.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/1227554...ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=all

*FYI* Nail trick

FYI, if you tap the pointy end of the nail with your hammer a time or two, it won't split the wood so bad. Bob Villa said it on This Old House years ago and I have used that trick several times while building chicken tractors and nailing into the ends of 1x4's and 2x4's. :crazy:

Back