Soap making with Goat Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parry

Reaction score
Using these Oils:
20 % Coconut Oil 76
40% Olive Oil
30% Palm Oil
10 % Shea Butter
If I want use My Goat's milk to make soap with the above percentage of oils. How Much Goat milk should I be using? And how do I mix it with Lye? Or If I mix Goat milk with the oils, how do i add Lye? My mold holds 42 oz batter.

Hi and welcome! You can add goat milk to pretty much any soap recipe, so your base recipe looks fine. It's up to you how much goat milk you want to use.

Some people replace all of the water with milk. If you do that, you'll probably want to freeze the milk so it doesn't scorch or stink as badly when you add the NaOH. Here is a good video showing that process.

If you would rather avoid the freezing process, you can dissolve the lye in an equal weight of distilled water, and then add the rest of the liquid as goat milk. Here is a good YT video showing that process.

Finally, you can also use powdered goat milk instead. Here is a good video showing that process.

HTH, and don't forget to show us your creation when you've finished!

I just wanted to add that if you go the freezing path, you should dissolve the additives you put in your lye solution (like citric acid, salt, etc.) in the milk before you freeze it, or else you'll have a really hard time incorporating them (unless you decide to put them in the oils instead).

I haven't tried the split method (the second one) and I always found using powdered milk to be too bothersome (it's highly hygroscopic, it gets clumped and makes a mess), but that's just me - others prefer that method. I like freezing fresh milk instead (I make soap with cow milk).

Good luck!

I just wanted to add that if you go the freezing path, you should dissolve the additives you put in your lye solution (like citric acid, salt, etc.) in the milk before you freeze it, or else you'll have a really hard time incorporating them (unless you decide to put them in the oils instead).

I haven't tried the split method (the second one) and I always found using powdered milk to be too bothersome (it's highly hygroscopic, it gets clumped and makes a mess), but that's just me - others prefer that method. I like freezing fresh milk instead (I make soap with cow milk).

Good luck!
I hadn’t thought about adding additives to what I want to freeze. Thanks for the tip!!!

Latest posts

Back