Soap dough recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I have been reading and looking for soap dough recipes. I have the one from sorcery soap but I was wondering if anyone had an alternative recipe that they like or think works better?

I think most regular soap recipes will work fine as long as you shape them in time and use extra water.
I used this recipe to create the leaves for my carrot soap:
palm 15%
coconut 20%
castor 5%
rice bran 30%
olive 30%
Now that I've tried it I would peobably use lard instead of palm as it shapes better but this recipe worked decent enough. I poured it into small single cavity molds and unmolded them 6 hours later. They are a bit stiff for my liking so I figured 3-4 hours would be the best shaping time.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with using the lard instead of palm. I have read articles that suggest using full water. Right now I use a 33% lye concentration in my soap and was wondering what full water means. All the articles I have read are very short on details.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with using the lard instead of palm. I have read articles that suggest using full water. Right now I use a 33% lye concentration in my soap and was wondering what full water means. All the articles I have read are very short on details.
33% is my usual soaping water as well. However, I use 1:3 ratio, as in 25% water concentration for soap dough.
I actually had to make the recipe twice. I forgot I was making dough the first time and used 33%, the soap hardened way too quick to be useful and I had to rebatch later. The second time with 25% was much better.

Back