Long time no soap. Help w dough please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waaaa! All I wanted was to play with some soap dough!! 😫
It’s all trash. Zapped my tongue. Separated liquid oils and lye, hard chonky bits. AND my utility sink where I soap is currently broken. Waiting for a repair. So did my best to clean up using old rags and vinegar. Tried not to lye burn myself. Hope it’s all safe down there. What a PITA, and nothing to show for it.
I’ve got new tallow on the way. But it’ll be a minute before I can afford the rest. Oh well. It’ll happen. Sheesh!

With oxidized oils (not rancid), can you dump the failed batch into a pot and finish it as a hot process? Adding sodium lactate would help with fluidity during the HP. I see HP recipes for soap dough, so it would seem doable.
Hopefully it never happens again, but if it does I’ll consider this. Thanks!
Honestly I don’t trust any of those oils right now.

Attachments

• IMG_5489.jpeg
    IMG_5489.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5490.jpeg
    IMG_5490.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Waaaa! All I wanted was to play with some soap dough!! 😫
It’s all trash. Zapped my tongue. Separated liquid oils and lye, hard chonky bits. AND my utility sink where I soap is currently broken. Waiting for a repair. So did my best to clean up using old rags and vinegar. Tried not to lye burn myself. Hope it’s all safe down there. What a PITA, and nothing to show for it.
I’ve got new tallow on the way. But it’ll be a minute before I can afford the rest. Oh well. It’ll happen. Sheesh!

Hopefully it never happens again, but if it does I’ll consider this. Thanks!
Honestly I don’t trust any of those oils right now.
The first picture has a snake skin vibe going on.

Back